Total Posts:445|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

SCIENTIFIC proof of god...

KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 2:07:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
(This is an open invitation for theists to attempt to bring actual proof regarding their perspective.)
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:17:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.

There is but you don't have to back down since no argument has been presented.

Want to do something else?

Like chess?
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:27:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:17:34 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.

There is but you don't have to back down since no argument has been presented.

Want to do something else?

Like chess?

Perhaps; like debating. You choose the subject.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:32:51 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:27:52 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:17:34 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.

There is but you don't have to back down since no argument has been presented.

Want to do something else?

Like chess?

Perhaps; like debating. You choose the subject.

Can't think of anything. XD

There is a website call brasee.com .

It has a good chess.

Just google brasee chess.

Want to play?
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:52:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:32:51 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:27:52 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:17:34 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.

There is but you don't have to back down since no argument has been presented.

Want to do something else?

Like chess?

Perhaps; like debating. You choose the subject.

Can't think of anything. XD

There is a website call brasee.com .

It has a good chess.

Just google brasee chess.

Want to play?

Not really; just work on the proof in the meanwhile.
Dragon_of_Christ
Posts: 1,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:56:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 4:52:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:32:51 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:27:52 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:17:34 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:13:55 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:05:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 4:03:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:59:26 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:56:50 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:54:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:53:43 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/4/2016 3:29:10 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

*claps*

Great troll.

A troll? I'm asking here for theists to bring me scientific proof that god exists, that's all.

No, the title and your post.

Well, I agree, it is troll-like; but I still want someone to answer my challenge.

I do but need to write it up.

Like the frame of the house except indestructable and only a frame, it isn't presentable as a house.

My logical structure is not presentable as an argument yet.

It will be sometime in the future though.

Fine, take your time.

I am a procrastinator so it is taking forever to write it.

It may never be written. XD

Almost sounds like there is none, but I'll wait.

There is but you don't have to back down since no argument has been presented.

Want to do something else?

Like chess?

Perhaps; like debating. You choose the subject.

Can't think of anything. XD

There is a website call brasee.com .

It has a good chess.

Just google brasee chess.

Want to play?

Not really; just work on the proof in the meanwhile.

Ok, see you around DDO.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 5:12:40 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

Science is an inductive method. 'Proof' isn't available.

There's no scientific proof that you have a rational mind, either.
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 5:12:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

Science is an inductive method. 'Proof' isn't available.

There's no scientific proof that you have a rational mind, either.

I know that, but theists usually don't. That was the purpose of this post; to show the less informed theists that they can't use science to prove god.

Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

(I would still like to hear some actual evidence.)
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:43:47 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.

Yes, the statements within the two models are different, but keep in mind that because you take different axioms, the statements themselves are different too...
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:44:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:43:47 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.

Yes, the statements within the two models are different, but keep in mind that because you take different axioms, the statements themselves are different too...

The axioms themselves are different.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:47:09 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:44:49 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:43:47 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.

Yes, the statements within the two models are different, but keep in mind that because you take different axioms, the statements themselves are different too...

The axioms themselves are different.

That's what I said.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:47:55 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:43:47 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.

Yes, the statements within the two models are different, but keep in mind that because you take different axioms, the statements themselves are different too...

Or how about the Continuum Hypothesis? Its truth is independent of ZFC. So I can make CH an additional axiom to ZFC, let's say ZFC+. Or, I can make the negation of CH an additional axiom to ZFC and call it ZFC-. Now how can you say that ZFC+ and ZFC- are both true?
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:50:29 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 10:47:55 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:43:47 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:40:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:34:14 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/8/2016 10:32:03 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:19:14 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
Only mathematics can prove something to be true or false.

And only within a particular axiomatic framework. Even math does not deal with absolute truth. For example, is Euclidean geometry more or less true than hyperbolic geometry?

Both are true, just the same way that both the ordinal interpretation of numbers and the cardinal interpretation are true.

They use different postulates, so some statements that are true in one geometry are false in the other geometry and vice versa.

Yes, the statements within the two models are different, but keep in mind that because you take different axioms, the statements themselves are different too...

Or how about the Continuum Hypothesis? Its truth is independent of ZFC. So I can make CH an additional axiom to ZFC, let's say ZFC+. Or, I can make the negation of CH an additional axiom to ZFC and call it ZFC-. Now how can you say that ZFC+ and ZFC- are both true?

They're both true under a simpler definition, i.e. are defined in a well-ordered way.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:51:57 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Absolute truth is not proven in math. Only whether or not a statement is consistent with the given axioms. Even 2+2=4 is not an absolute truth.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 10:57:07 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I guess you can say that the consistency of a particular statement with the axioms is an absolute truth. But actually, you can't! Because it's impossible to prove the consistency of the axioms with each other if your system is complex enough.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:41:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

Discussions on God don't belong in the Science forum, since God is traditionally defined as being "transcendent," which means that doesn't meet scientific standards of assessment. Keep this stuff in the Religion or Philosophy forum.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,609
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:55:31 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 3:41:14 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/4/2016 2:06:13 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
...doesn't exist.

Deal with it.

Discussions on God don't belong in the Science forum, since God is traditionally defined as being "transcendent," which means that doesn't meet scientific standards of assessment. Keep this stuff in the Religion or Philosophy forum.

LOL. The delusion that this is a Science forum is only equaled by the amount of religious folks who share their irrational beliefs here. This is merely an offshoot of the Religion forum, there's little if any science being shared here.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth