Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Did charles darwin have a job?

janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 10:44:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?
Darwin came from a long line of scientists who were also quite wealthy. His grandfather was a botanist, his father a physician. So his family had money to fund his career early on, and that seems to have been what happened.

His position aboard the HMS Beagle on its first voyage came without a stipend -- i.e. it was self-funded, and in fact paid for by his father Robert Darwin, somewhat reluctantly because Darwin senior felt it was a waste of time. Darwin was only 22 when the voyage commenced, and really only beginning his scientific career.

After that, I don't know what happened, but imagine he began to fund himself in part through book sales. One of his first general publications was The Voyage of the Beagle, published in 1939. As well as being a naturalistic study, it's also a vivid, exciting travel memoir. You can read it online here: [http://www.gutenberg.org...], and here's an excerpt from the opening chapter:

After having been twice driven back by heavy south-western gales, Her Majesty's ship Beagle," a ten-gun brig, under the command of Captain Fitz Roy, R.N., sailed from Devonport on the 27th of December, 1831. The object of the expedition was to complete the survey of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, commenced under Captain King in 1826 to 1830--to survey the shores of Chile, Peru, and of some islands in the Pacific--and to carry a chain of chronometrical measurements round the World. On the 6th of January we reached Teneriffe, but were prevented landing, by fears of our bringing the cholera: the next morning we saw the sun rise behind the rugged outline of the Grand Canary Island, and suddenly illumine the Peak of Teneriffe, whilst the lower parts were veiled in fleecy clouds. This was the first of many delightful days never to be forgotten. On the 16th of January 1832 we anchored at Porto Praya, in St. Jago, the chief island of the Cape de Verd archipelago.

The neighbourhood of Porto Praya, viewed from the sea, wears a desolate aspect. The volcanic fires of a past age, and the scorching heat of a tropical sun, have in most places rendered the soil unfit for vegetation. The country rises in successive steps of table-land, interspersed with some truncate conical hills, and the horizon is bounded by an irregular chain of more lofty mountains. The scene, as beheld through the hazy atmosphere of this climate, is one of great interest; if, indeed, a person, fresh from sea, and who has just walked, for the first time, in a grove of cocoa-nut trees, can be a judge of anything but his own happiness. The island would generally be considered as very uninteresting, but to any one accustomed only to an English landscape, the novel aspect of an utterly sterile land possesses a grandeur which more vegetation might spoil. A single green leaf can scarcely be discovered over wide tracts of the lava plains; yet flocks of goats, together with a few cows, contrive to exist. It rains very seldom, but during a short portion of the year heavy torrents fall, and immediately afterwards a light vegetation springs out of every crevice. This soon withers; and upon such naturally formed hay the animals live. It had not now rained for an entire year.


Here, in a world without TV, radio or even a camera, he's writing of wild and wondrous places most Brits had never seen. The monograph came with scores of meticulous illustrations of ships, architecture, geography, plants and animals and people -- some quite romantic. I imagine it sold well, and in fact that monograph is still being sold today.

On the Origin of Species wasn't published until 1859, but I've read that he had the basic ideas for around 20 years before that. Yet sitting on them for so long let him investigate his conjectures, refine his models, and also built his naturalistic eminence.

But this is how adventurous scientists from a wealthy, expansionist colonial empire two centuries ago funded their research, Jane. They borrowed from family, sought patrons, published books to make themselves famous, and often didn't have employers so much as working as intellectual free-lancers, making ends meet however they could.

In many ways they were intellectual entrepreneurs, journalists and free-lancers directly under the public eye, the like of which we don't see so much today.

Adventurous times, eh? :D

I hope that may help.
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin) who was also very wealthy. They lived an aristocrat lifestyle with a full staff of servants and all that comes with being filthy rich. So no need for an extra income really.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

who was also very wealthy. They lived an aristocrat lifestyle with a full staff of servants and all that comes with being filthy rich. So no need for an extra income really.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 5:10:20 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin) who was also very wealthy. They lived an aristocrat lifestyle with a full staff of servants and all that comes with being filthy rich. So no need for an extra income really.

Hey, it was either that or marry OUT of money.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,896
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 5:21:46 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
From wikipedia's article on 'Cousin marriage'.

"Charles Darwin, who did marry his first cousin, had initially speculated that cousin marriage might pose serious risks but, perhaps in response to his son's work, these thoughts were omitted from a later version of the book in which they had been published."

So he knew there were risks, even though he didn't know about genes (which nobody did until the 20th century). Quite possibly "Love conquers all", especially if you love a wealthy heiress!

The subject of how various species avoid incestuous breeding is a fascinating one. It deserves its own thread. Humans have had various taboos about it since long before any mechanism for inheritance was known. It seems we are are programmed to avoid incest by an instinctive feeling of its 'wrongness'. Obviously it doesn't always work and brother/sister parent/child incest is not unknown in humans, but in general we seem to avoid incest instinctively rather than as a learned thing.
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Later studies by George Darwin found only much smaller effects that closely resemble those estimated today. His father, Charles Darwin, who did marry his first cousin, had initially speculated that cousin marriage might pose serious risks but, perhaps in response to his son's work, these thoughts were omitted from a later version of the book in which they had been published.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Later studies by George Darwin found only much smaller effects that closely resemble those estimated today. His father, Charles Darwin, who did marry his first cousin, had initially speculated that cousin marriage might pose serious risks but, perhaps in response to his son's work, these thoughts were omitted from a later version of the book in which they had been published.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:16:06 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

Wow, the Captain (you) has achieved new levels of insanity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:28:20 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 3:16:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

Wow, the Captain (you) has achieved new levels of insanity.

You just over estimated the value of a debate website.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:52:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 3:28:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:16:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

Wow, the Captain (you) has achieved new levels of insanity.

You just over estimated the value of a debate website.

But, under estimated the Captain's (you) insanity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 4:18:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 3:52:56 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:28:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:16:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

Wow, the Captain (you) has achieved new levels of insanity.

You just over estimated the value of a debate website.

But, under estimated the Captain's (you) insanity.

Why don't you try your luck on his own site -

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in...

You may ask for the proof of 12 strand DNA.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 5:43:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 4:18:35 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:52:56 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:28:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 3:16:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

Wow, the Captain (you) has achieved new levels of insanity.

You just over estimated the value of a debate website.

But, under estimated the Captain's (you) insanity.

Why don't you try your luck on his own site -

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in...

The Captain (you) is clearly bat sh1t bonkers, probably from spending his(your) entire adult life living atop a mound of dangerous chemicals.

You may ask for the proof of 12 strand DNA.

But, I will receive none, of course. Instead, the insane Captain (you) will rant and rave about something he (you) believes happened 7000 years ago.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 5:48:37 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/8/2016 9:51:13 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/8/2016 8:42:16 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/8/2016 5:03:18 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/7/2016 11:56:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/7/2016 9:07:38 PM, janesix wrote:
I've been looking and the only thing i can find so far is that he was a naturalist. Was that a job that he was paid for? If not, how did he support his family?

Darwin as Rub said came from wealth, in addition he married emma Wedgewood (his first cousin)

Thanks for pointing out that he had zero understanding of genes.

That's true. So what?

Even today, more than one in ten marriages worldwide is between first and second cousins. It would have been much higher in Darwin's day.

I live in Bharat.

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.com...

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Later studies by George Darwin found only much smaller effects that closely resemble those estimated today. His father, Charles Darwin, who did marry his first cousin, had initially speculated that cousin marriage might pose serious risks but, perhaps in response to his son's work, these thoughts were omitted from a later version of the book in which they had been published.

Not this guy again..