Jump to topic:

pseudoscience

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific methodology, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, cannot be reliably tested, or otherwise lacks scientific status.

Thank you wikipedia.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:02:37 PM
something purporting to be scientific when in fact it fails to meet the standards of scientific inquiry. usually means lacking in evidence or poorly designed experiments.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:03:45 PM
What makes it a pseudoscience? It's a claim or procedure that is presented as scientific, but it does not adhere to valid scientific methodology and/or lacks evidence or plausibility.

Biggest pseudoscience ever: horoscopes.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:06:53 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:03:45 PM, annhasle wrote:
What makes it a pseudoscience? It's a claim or procedure that is presented as scientific, but it does not adhere to valid scientific methodology and/or lacks evidence or plausibility.

Biggest pseudoscience ever: creationism.

Fix'd.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:08:59 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:06:53 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Fix'd.

God yes.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:09:08 PM

Fix'd.

People try to actually sell that as science? Pfft... :P
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:20:37 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:09:08 PM, annhasle wrote:

Fix'd.

People try to actually sell that as science? Pfft... :P

Lol, if you type "creation science" in to Wikipedia, it actually re-directs you to the page on pseudoscience.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:22:48 PM
At 12/6/2010 10:57:18 PM, Loserboi wrote:
What would the study have to involve to dub it a pseudoscience?

The workings of "God".....

Or what makes something a pseudoscience

Any discipline that does not follow the rigors of the scientific method could probably be dubbed a pseudoscience.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:30:35 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:20:37 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Lol, if you type "creation science" in to Wikipedia, it actually re-directs you to the page on pseudoscience.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:34:38 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:30:35 PM, m93samman wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:36:23 PM

Lol, last thing on the page is the External link: Pseudoscience
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:40:58 PM

Apparently m93samman redirects to "gullibility." :P
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:42:50 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:22:48 PM, Freeman wrote:

Any discipline that does not follow the rigors of the scientific method could probably be dubbed a pseudoscience.

I hope you're joking.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 11:43:47 PM

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 4:20:12 AM
. . . Fringe . . . X-Files . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 5:45:26 AM
At 12/6/2010 11:42:50 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I hope you're joking.

After all, must we apply the scientific method to mathematics or is that a psuedoscience?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 5:52:44 AM
After all, must we apply the scientific method to mathematics or is that a psuedoscience?

Classifying mathematics into a branch of science is more difficult and nebulous; pseudoscience only applies when something that isn't scientific is presented as scientific.

I'm taking a class on philosophy of science this quarter, and there are interesting folks out there. It's enough to make the definition of pseudoscience (among many other concepts) debatable.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 8:16:19 AM

lol This. And phrenology and physiognomy. Physiognomy is still pretty present in today's world, sadly enough (the idea that you can scientifically know someone's personality based on their face, or the way that they look haha Disney, anyone?)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 4:15:36 PM
At 12/7/2010 5:52:44 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Classifying mathematics into a branch of science is more difficult and nebulous; pseudoscience only applies when something that isn't scientific is presented as scientific.

Oh, I don't put mathematics into the category of science at all. After all, isn't the validity of (some) mathematics presupposed in science?

I'm taking a class on philosophy of science this quarter, and there are interesting folks out there. It's enough to make the definition of pseudoscience (among many other concepts) debatable.

I like Bas Van Fraassen. Who are you reading?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 4:41:54 PM
At 12/7/2010 4:15:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Oh, I don't put mathematics into the category of science at all. After all, isn't the validity of (some) mathematics presupposed in science?

i don't think anyone was claiming mathematics is "psudoscience"- whoever proposed that anything that fails to be science is psudoscience was being incredibly imprecise.

I like Bas Van Fraassen. Who are you reading?

ahahaha my friend came to SF State for his masters because of that guy. i didn't think he was all that well known. interesting!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 5:26:16 PM
At 12/6/2010 11:42:50 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I hope you're joking.

I'm using science in a very broad sense - to even include things like history. Besides, what discipline can you think of that is completely detached from the scientific method that wouldn't be considered a pseudoscience?

Math???

Logic???

Philosophy???

Well..... maybe. Sure.

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 5:28:35 PM
At 12/7/2010 5:52:44 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Agh... I see people have already got there ahead of me.

Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 5:36:30 PM
Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge"). To me knowledge is either True or False - that simple! Whether proven or not. Some true knowledge is impossible to prove empirically (observed and known but not provable by exterior experimentation) and if anything regarding it become known, it is then classed as Pseudoscience by mediocrity - but that matters little to those who have discovered it - the others will have to discover it later.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 9:39:12 PM
At 12/7/2010 4:41:54 PM, belle wrote:

i don't think anyone was claiming mathematics is "psudoscience"- whoever proposed that anything that fails to be science is psudoscience was being incredibly imprecise.

I was responding to Freeman's original claim but it looks like he cleared it up a bit.

ahahaha my friend came to SF State for his masters because of that guy. i didn't think he was all that well known. interesting!

From what I gather he's HUGE in philosophy of science. I love reading him; I substantially agree with him on a lot of things but his anti-realism about unobservable entities in science is kind of "o_O...wut" to me. That may be my naive scientific realist tendencies coming through, though.

At 12/7/2010 5:26:16 PM, Freeman wrote:

I'm using science in a very broad sense - to even include things like history. Besides, what discipline can you think of that is completely detached from the scientific method that wouldn't be considered a pseudoscience?

Math???

Logic???

Philosophy???

Well..... maybe. Sure.

You don't think logic and math are detached from the scientific method in the sense that they aren't subjected to it?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 9:53:22 PM
At 12/7/2010 9:39:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/7/2010 4:41:54 PM, belle wrote:

I was responding to Freeman's original claim but it looks like he cleared it up a bit.

From what I gather he's HUGE in philosophy of science. I love reading him; I substantially agree with him on a lot of things but his anti-realism about unobservable entities in science is kind of "o_O...wut" to me. That may be my naive scientific realist tendencies coming through, though.

At 12/7/2010 5:26:16 PM, Freeman wrote:

Math???

Logic???

Philosophy???

Well..... maybe. Sure.

You don't think logic and math are detached from the scientific method in the sense that they aren't subjected to it?

I think they are detached. That's why I said sure, although I was a bit hesitant at first.

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 2:32:06 AM
From the mind of Randi:

"Pseudoscience, however, uses invented modes of analysis which it pretends or professes meet the requirements of scientific method, but which in fact violate its essential attributes."
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 3:01:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/8/2010 2:32:06 AM, Puck wrote:
From the mind of Randi:

"Pseudoscience, however, uses invented modes of analysis which it pretends or professes meet the requirements of scientific method, but which in fact violate its essential attributes."

Some Science is above and beyond intellectual analysis and empirical evidence and therefore does not exist, apart from that is, the one who Knows and Understands it. But this Knowledge can not be communicated from one to another. An example of one of these now gradually entering the noisy arena - is the separateness of Consciousness and brain. Consciousness can not be analysed or scrutinised by either thought or imagination, for these two are exterior to it and merely TOOLS.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 3:26:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago

Incorrect -- Intelligent Design. =]