Jump to topic:

Of trolls and scabs.

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 10:10:42 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Feeding trolls and picking scabs have two things in common - a) we know we shouldn't do it and b) we do it anyway. I wonder if they are related in some way, being behaviours with no possible up side.

You'd have thought evolution would have eliminated scab-pickers from the gene pool long ago, but I have no been able to find anything definitive about whether non-human animals also pick their scabs so can it be another example that homo sapiens has a really inapporpriate name? Did the mutation that gave us consciousness also make us pick our scabs for no good reason?

It is my intention to wire up a subject and measure their brain activity and endorphine levels when a) picking a scab and b) replying to a troll post (if I can find such a thing on on DDO). I suspect the results will be very similar in both cases. (btw My thanks to the Science Council of Utopia for funding the project.)

Speculation on the outcome and other comments are welcome and may be included in my final report to the SCofU which will be peer-reviewed by no less than Fleishman and Pons.
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 10:13:18 AM
At 5/11/2016 10:10:42 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Feeding trolls and picking scabs have two things in common - a) we know we shouldn't do it and b) we do it anyway. I wonder if they are related in some way, being behaviours with no possible up side.

You'd have thought evolution would have eliminated scab-pickers from the gene pool long ago, but I have no been able to find anything definitive about whether non-human animals also pick their scabs so can it be another example that homo sapiens has a really inapporpriate name? Did the mutation that gave us consciousness also make us pick our scabs for no good reason?

It is my intention to wire up a subject and measure their brain activity and endorphine levels when a) picking a scab and b) replying to a troll post (if I can find such a thing on on DDO). I suspect the results will be very similar in both cases. (btw My thanks to the Science Council of Utopia for funding the project.)

Speculation on the outcome and other comments are welcome and may be included in my final report to the SCofU which will be peer-reviewed by no less than Fleishman and Pons.

Creationism cannot be settled by experiment so it is not worth debating. lol.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 11:05:22 AM
http://www.sciencefocus.com...

It is probably a manifestation of our natural self-grooming behaviour. Our ape relatives constantly examine themselves and each other for ticks, dirt and small wounds, and any deviation from the normal contour of the body invites deeper scrutiny. The mild pain associated with picking a scab also releases endorphins, which can act as a reward. Scab picking, like many grooming behaviours, is also a displacement activity that can help to distract us when we are bored, stressed or anxious. Those who suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) may find it hard to stop picking even when it is unsightly or causes further injury.

Science explains everything (except feeding trolls.....).
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 7:16:33 AM
At 5/11/2016 10:10:42 AM, keithprosser wrote:

ME: This is something that would be your forte'. You would be covered in scabs, and the occasional weeping sore that you would be able to dig your fists into. It is a pity that you throw your picked scabs onto this forum though.

Have you tried picking your scabs and then anointing them with strychnine, give it a go, it could do wonders for the forum.