Jump to topic:

Simulated Universe?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:46:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I find it highly suspicious that the sun, Earth and moon line up to make almost perfect eclipses. Plus the fact that the Earth and moon have the geometry to make an almost perfect squared circle.

Is this universe a simulation?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:29:09 AM
At 5/16/2016 9:46:24 PM, janesix wrote:
I find it highly suspicious that the sun, Earth and moon line up to make almost perfect eclipses. Plus the fact that the Earth and moon have the geometry to make an almost perfect squared circle.

Oh wow, you're everywhere today.

It would be suspicious if it was perfect, but it's imperfect so not really.

I assume you are referring to your profile picture. A square/rectangle shape can fit inside an spherical orbit.

Also, this is more what the moons orbit really looks like: https://upload.wikimedia.org...
Meh!
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:50:46 AM

Is this universe a simulation? : :

Yes it is. The one fact that most people miss when they observe objects is that they can only observe them in two dimensions so we don't have any proof that the earth, moon, sun, planets, etc. are globes. When we observe a picture, it's always in two dimensions and we can only observe one picture at a time. We created beings observe one picture at a time but at a very fast rate that gives us the illusion that we're living in a three dimensional world.

I have all kinds of analogies to help you understand that we're living in a simulation as characters who appear real but we aren't made of anything material. Quantum mechanics is proving that we're not made of matter.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 4:49:43 PM

Its an interesting hypothesis but I'm not sure that would be a reason to suspect it to be so.

I think what is most curious is that at the foundation of everything, there is math. Actually, math IS the foundation of everything and nothing exists that math does not have dominion over.

Some prominent scientists are getting on the Simulated Universe Theory bandwagon. Here is an interesting article on the topic - http://www.space.com...

The strangest thing I find about the theory is that it is even entertained as a possibility that it is a simulation by our future human(ish) descendants. It is estimated there are about 8.8 billion potentially habitable planets in the Milky Way and up to 500 billion galaxies. Earth, and the species it gives rise to, is statistically utterly insignificant from a universal perspective.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 5:16:39 PM

I find such a hypothesis to be utterly useless because every scrap of information, knowledge, or experience that you make this judgement by is derived from said simulation. It's literally impossible for you to have any valid notion of what the world *should* be like (referring to the "real" world).

In the above example you provide, the notion of this being a remarkable coincidence is based off of the experience of such coincidences in your experience (i.e. within the simulation) so all you're doing is just comparing the simulation with itself, if this simulation hypothesis is true. Who's to say that such "coincidences" would actually not be more common in the supposed "real" world compare to this simulation?
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:09:00 AM
I find it highly suspicious that the sun, Earth and moon line up to make almost perfect eclipses.
Look, the earth's orbit is slightly elliptical, and during eclipses, the sun and the moon nearly always have a slightly different parallax than one another.
Plus the fact that the Earth and moon have the geometry to make an almost perfect squared circle.

Well, that's just a result of gravity.

Possibly, though there is no way of testing it.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 9:42:28 PM
At 5/17/2016 12:29:09 AM, Axonly wrote:

Oh wow, you're everywhere today.

It would be suspicious if it was perfect, but it's imperfect so not really.

I assume you are referring to your profile picture. A square/rectangle shape can fit inside an spherical orbit.

Also, this is more what the moons orbit really looks like: https://upload.wikimedia.org...
Has nothing to do with orbits, just geometry.