Pewresearch scientific literacy quiz

Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:16:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Perfect score. "You scored better than 94% of the public and the same as 6%."

Like the stupid SAT, the quiz is too easy to measure scientific literacy of anyone not swinging in trees.

Blacks (assuming people were honest) missed most of the questions.... They must be slaves living on someone's plantation... I wonder how those poor, oppressed souls got to that website.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:17:29 PM
I find it worrying that around one in three could not answer question 9 on the quiz correctly. This question was a simple analysis of a graph of number of teeth cavities against sugar consumption. If this is the case then presumably a significant part of the general public are unable to follow any scientific argument because they cannot follow a simple bit of data analysis.
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:42:31 PM
That's just dumbed down high school "science". Science is not simply fact memorization, it's a way to understand the universe. Real science is repeatable. Oh and I agree that the graph question was BS. That graph does not prove that sugar causes cavities.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:02:19 PM
At 5/17/2016 2:42:31 PM, user13579 wrote:
That's just dumbed down high school "science". Science is not simply fact memorization, it's a way to understand the universe. Real science is repeatable. Oh and I agree that the graph question was BS. That graph does not prove that sugar causes cavities.

To be fair, though, they didn't say "sugar causes cavities". They expressed it in terms of likelihood, which I think would be correct even if it's only correlation and not causation.
This space for rent.
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:05:34 PM
At 5/17/2016 3:02:19 PM, v3nesl wrote:

To be fair, though, they didn't say "sugar causes cavities". They expressed it in terms of likelihood, which I think would be correct even if it's only correlation and not causation.

If the answer was "people who consume more sugar are more likely to get cavities" then that would be correct, but the actual answer "The more sugar people eat, the more likely they are to get cavities", which implies the act of consuming more sugar increases the likelihood of getting cavities, without leaving the possibility that only the type of people who naturally choose to consume more sugar are more likely to get cavities.
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 5:12:23 PM
At 5/17/2016 3:02:19 PM, v3nesl wrote:

It doesn't even mean that. Maybe everybody in that study who eats lots of sugar also watches a lot of TV (and lives a sedentary lifestyle). Maybe it's actually being sedentary that causes it, whether they eat sugar or not. So you can't apply that "likelihood" to someone else who eats sugar but doesn't watch TV.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 5:38:49 PM
At 5/17/2016 7:11:05 AM, Axonly wrote:
http://www.pewresearch.org...
Pew research is the best thing ever.

It absolutely is, Axonly. Thank you for linking. For members interested, any answers you enter in the online quiz don't go into the research; they're just for personal interest. The research was conducted last year, as part of the American Trends Panel research Pew conducts periodically.

A summary of the report is at: [http://www.pewinternet.org...]

I didn't see any new findings, or anything that surprised. If you've seen other US science literacy reports, this seems to fit the same findings.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 5:47:16 PM
At 5/17/2016 4:05:34 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:
If the answer was "people who consume more sugar are more likely to get cavities" then that would be correct, but the actual answer "The more sugar people eat, the more likely they are to get cavities", which implies the act of consuming more sugar increases the likelihood of getting cavities, without leaving the possibility that only the type of people who naturally choose to consume more sugar are more likely to get cavities.

I don't see a meaningful difference between the quiz wording "The more sugar people eat..." and your version "people who consume more sugar... " Except, unless, you're making an allowance for consuming sugar with anal depositories rather than eating it (which would also explain your agitation with the observation that eating more sugar is associated with increased cavities). Don't worry, I'm not judging you.

The quiz wording is just fine. You on the other hand, seek help for your consumption disorder.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 6:05:03 PM
Too many Americans chant "USA #1!" without making sure it remains true. While we dwell on past science and engineering achievements, the rest of the industrialized world is passing us by.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 6:14:20 PM
At 5/17/2016 5:47:16 PM, Rukado wrote:
At 5/17/2016 4:05:34 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

I don't see a meaningful difference between the quiz wording "The more sugar people eat..." and your version "people who consume more sugar... " Except, unless, you're making an allowance for consuming sugar with anal depositories rather than eating it (which would also explain your agitation with the observation that eating more sugar is associated with increased cavities). Don't worry, I'm not judging you.

The quiz wording is just fine. You on the other hand, seek help for your consumption disorder.

If you state "people who consume more sugar are more likely to get cavities", you are making a comparative statement about individual likelihood, which is an implicit statement that disregards other possible causes such as the consumption of starchy foods. Since someone who eats no sugar may commit other acts that greatly increase the risk of cavities. So this statement can technically be wrong.

Logically: (Ax)(Ay)(Sxy>Cxy)
For two given people "x" and "y", if "x" consumes more sugar than "y", then "x" has a higher likelihood of developing cavities than "y".

If you state "The more sugar people eat, the more likely they are to get cavities", you are making a statement regarding the correlation between sugar consumption and cavities, and not a comparative statement of likelihood between individuals, as above.

Logically: (Ax)(Sx>Cx)
For a given person "x", if "x" consumes more sugar, then "x" has a higher likelihood of developing cavities.

The difference in the wording may seem trivial, but the precision helps a little to prevent the statement from being distorted or misrepresented. I guess that if the first proposition is assumed to mean "...are more likely to get cavities than if they consumed less sugar", then the statement would be fine if that was made clear.

Ah, the fun of being technical! ;P
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 11:00:41 PM

Our education systems are obviously failing girls with respect to science. The only question in which females were on a par with males was the one on "astrology". That's a huge concern and has been for a long time now.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 11:02:12 PM
At 5/17/2016 11:00:41 PM, dee-em wrote:

Our education systems are obviously failing girls with respect to science. The only question in which females were on a par with males was the one on "astrology". That's a huge concern and has been for a long time now.

They will probably catch up, since the world is treating women more and more equally.
Meh!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:20:17 AM
The quiz doesn't require any 'working out', only knowledge. Their low scores suggests that women and blacks aren't properly introduced to the basic facts of science, or they are not motivated to retain them.

Unless women and blacks have seriously impaired memories I can't see how the results support a genetic basis for the difference - it is too simple to test anyones 'scientific reasoning' - it only tests whether people have been taught and recall some elementary facts in a specific area of academic endevour (ie science). I am sure women would do even worse in a similar quiz about baseball! While I don't think it matters much if women aren't as interested in baseball facts as men, interest in scientific facts obviously does matter.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 4:09:13 AM
At 5/23/2016 1:20:17 AM, keithprosser wrote:
The quiz doesn't require any 'working out', only knowledge. Their low scores suggests that women and blacks aren't properly introduced to the basic facts of science, or they are not motivated to retain them.

Unless women and blacks have seriously impaired memories I can't see how the results support a genetic basis for the difference - it is too simple to test anyones 'scientific reasoning' - it only tests whether people have been taught and recall some elementary facts in a specific area of academic endevour (ie science). I am sure women would do even worse in a similar quiz about baseball! While I don't think it matters much if women aren't as interested in baseball facts as men, interest in scientific facts obviously does matter.

Why don't we make our own quiz on scientific reasoning? :D We can invite all the science forum regulars to do it.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 7:16:16 AM
At 5/23/2016 4:09:13 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Why don't we make our own quiz on scientific reasoning? :D We can invite all the science forum regulars to do it.

Oh god, most of the people from this forum are creationist/crackpot, it would not end well.
Meh!
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:15:57 PM
At 5/23/2016 7:16:16 AM, Axonly wrote:

Oh god, most of the people from this forum are creationist/crackpot, it would not end well.

I'm actually thinking about people like Ruv, DJR, etc. who I'm sure can make great contributions. (Ruv actually did make a quiz here a few months ago, though it was still somewhat knowledge-based - knowledge about the nature of science itself rather than scientific facts.)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:34:32 AM
At 5/23/2016 7:16:16 AM, Axonly wrote:

Why? If that's true, you'd just see lower scores, and it'd prove what you already believe.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:36:14 AM
If I failed the waveform one, I'd have to send my boss a resignation letter.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.