Total Posts:78|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Chemistry AMA

Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?
Daedal
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:11:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Does chemistry play an important role in evolution?

(Note: this is the only way to get 150 replies...)
Peepette
Posts: 1,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:12:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?

I'm not a chemistry wiz as Fkkize, but I believe jello is a colloidal suspension.
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:19:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:12:24 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?

I'm not a chemistry wiz as Fkkize, but I believe jello is a colloidal suspension.
What's that? Does it have to do with it being a liquid or solid? Is it a little of both?
Peepette
Posts: 1,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:22:54 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:19:24 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:12:24 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?

I'm not a chemistry wiz as Fkkize, but I believe jello is a colloidal suspension.
What's that? Does it have to do with it being a liquid or solid? Is it a little of both?

Essentially a solid suspended in a liquid.
http://www.whatiscolloidal.com...
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:25:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:22:54 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:19:24 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:12:24 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?

I'm not a chemistry wiz as Fkkize, but I believe jello is a colloidal suspension.
What's that? Does it have to do with it being a liquid or solid? Is it a little of both?

Essentially a solid suspended in a liquid.
http://www.whatiscolloidal.com...
Ok thanks
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 7:51:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Thank you for representing the traditions of Boyle, Fkkize. :)

1) What kind of chemistry do you do, and for how long have you been doing it?
2) What result are you most proud of and why?
3) What do you think is the most exciting chemistry today, and why?
n7
Posts: 1,358
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 8:08:04 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

How I make things esplode?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 8:21:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

What is the difference between living and non-living matter?
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:33:00 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:25:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:22:54 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:19:24 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:12:24 PM, Peepette wrote:
At 5/17/2016 7:04:46 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Is jello a solid or a liquid?

I'm not a chemistry wiz as Fkkize, but I believe jello is a colloidal suspension.
What's that? Does it have to do with it being a liquid or solid? Is it a little of both?

Essentially a solid suspended in a liquid.
http://www.whatiscolloidal.com...
Ok thanks

Peepette's answer is correct.
Colloids are made up of a dispersed phase (the protein structure) and a continuous phase (the water), the latter one need not be a fluid.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:41:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 8:08:04 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

How I make things esplode?

You substitute functional groups which when heated react to some kind of gas. Like Nitro groups.

Take your (cotton) under ware and douse it with nitric acid. Fun times.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:43:59 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 8:21:13 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

What is the difference between living and non-living matter?

That's a more philosophical question tbh.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:44:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

Why do electrons not clump into the nucleus?
Meh!
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:04:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:51:31 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.
Thank you for representing the traditions of Boyle, Fkkize. :)

1) What kind of chemistry do you do, and for how long have you been doing it?

I study chemistry for only about a year now. Mentioning Boyle is quite fitting as physical chemistry is what I want to do later, either in the form of statistical thermodynamics or molecular quantum mechanics.

2) What result are you most proud of and why?

I think my first ever organic synthesis is what I am most proud of. It was just benzoic acid, but it felt quite magical to suddenly see these beautiful needles.

3) What do you think is the most exciting chemistry today, and why?

That's really hard to tell. What sparked my interest lately is electric current in amorphous organic materials.
Essentially anything that uses quantum effects to produce makroscopic effects.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:06:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 9:43:59 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 5/17/2016 8:21:13 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

What is the difference between living and non-living matter?

That's a more philosophical question tbh.
There must be chemical differences though right
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:09:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 9:44:16 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

Why do electrons not clump into the nucleus?

Would you like the lazy, the ok-ish or the hardcore explanation?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:15:59 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 10:06:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 9:43:59 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 5/17/2016 8:21:13 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

What is the difference between living and non-living matter?

That's a more philosophical question tbh.
There must be chemical differences though right

Well, the bottom line I suppose is that it must be able to keep itself from reaching thermal equilibrium with its environment (at least under certain circumstances) via irreversible processes and absorption of some kind of energy.
The specific molecules realizing such functions don't really matter.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:20:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
What are things about chemistry everyone should know?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:23:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 7:11:01 PM, Daedal wrote:
Does chemistry play an important role in evolution?

Naturally. From photosynthesis to cellular respiration and all the factors influencing these processes, it's all chemistry.
Although describing it in its entirety in the language of chemistry and physics is not going to happen any time soon.

(Note: this is the only way to get 150 replies...)

lol
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:26:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 10:09:28 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 5/17/2016 9:44:16 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

Why do electrons not clump into the nucleus?

Would you like the lazy, the ok-ish or the hardcore explanation?

Which one would you like to give :)
Meh!
Looncall
Posts: 445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:33:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 10:06:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 9:43:59 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 5/17/2016 8:21:13 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

What is the difference between living and non-living matter?

That's a more philosophical question tbh.
There must be chemical differences though right

Sure. Chemicals in the proper arrangement metabolize and reproduce (ie display life)
Chemicals not in such an arrangement do not.

No nineteenth-century notions like "elan vitale" are needed.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:43:27 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
All of the halogens have 7 valence electrons, and are reactive because 8 electrons in the outermost shell is the magic number.

So, could Hydrogen ever be considered a halogen, because it has 1 valence electron in its only shell, where the magic number in that shell is 2?
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:51:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

I signed up for Honors Chemistry for softmore year. Should I be worried?
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 11:13:33 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 10:51:43 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

I signed up for Honors Chemistry for softmore year. Should I be worried?
Not OP, but yes. yes you should.
godspeed
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 11:15:33 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 11:13:33 PM, someloser wrote:
At 5/17/2016 10:51:43 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

I signed up for Honors Chemistry for softmore year. Should I be worried?
Not OP, but yes. yes you should.
godspeed

Alrighty, lol
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 2:51:37 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 10:51:43 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 5/17/2016 6:38:27 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Against all reasonable expectations I got some spare time this evening and as such have nothing planned.

Hence I thought I might contribute to the science forum with some actual science.

So here it is, ask me anything you want to know about chemistry.

I signed up for Honors Chemistry for softmore year. Should I be worried?

No, but you should be worried about your spelling.

xD sorry. In all seriousness, though, I'm taking Honors Chemistry next year as well :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW