Jump to topic:

Lab Grown Meat as a Viable Food Source

Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 2:27:18 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Lab grown meat was an amazing advancement in renewable and sustainable food. It is quickly on the rise and could be viable in less than 20 years. I believe that this could not only be a better food source, but a more humane one as well. I think that this could be the beginning of a bright future in sustainable food.

My question is: Do you think that lab grown meat could be a viable food source? Would you eat it?

You can bring any perspective to this argument. Religion, science, morality, etc. All I want to know is your opinion on the subject and why you believe this.

I would like this to be a good debate. No name calling, and you must back up your statements. If someone is wrong in your opinion, tell them why.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:38:13 PM
At 5/20/2016 2:27:18 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:
Lab grown meat was an amazing advancement in renewable and sustainable food. It is quickly on the rise and could be viable in less than 20 years. I believe that this could not only be a better food source, but a more humane one as well. I think that this could be the beginning of a bright future in sustainable food.

My question is: Do you think that lab grown meat could be a viable food source? Would you eat it?

You can bring any perspective to this argument. Religion, science, morality, etc. All I want to know is your opinion on the subject and why you believe this.

I would like this to be a good debate. No name calling, and you must back up your statements. If someone is wrong in your opinion, tell them why.

I read something about this about a month ago, intriguing. Like you said, it's about 20 years away. It being a viable food source certainly; marketing it to the public is a different matter. There's a lot of distrust with corporate related safely of our food supplies. What chemicals are in it, how will it be labeled ect. ect.; similarly to the distrust of GMO"s. But on the up side, factory farming is extremely costly to the environment. Water use alone for feed crops and for animals is staggering. Disposal of animal wastes is also a factor affecting water systems. I can't think of any religious taboos against such a product. Science, again, when the "corporates" are involved, once mass production occurs short cuts and chemical preservatives and additives will become an issue. Synthetic meats being better for animals, certainly. We will have no need to raise them in such numbers, in cramped conditions, with ecological damage for the sole purpose of consumption. "Selling it" to the already distrustful public is the greatest issue.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:51:04 PM
That is the thing about lab grown meat, though. There are no chemicals. It is all stem cells. You are right, however. People don't trust big corporations, and most people assume that lab grown meat is full of chemicals. Hopefully, in the future, people will learn more about this food source. Like you said, it is a lot more friendly to the environment and animals than conventional farming.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 7:59:14 AM

There's no reason why it shouldn't be, except for people going "Science is scary!"
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 12:38:52 PM
Posted: 5 months ago

Depending on how its grown, it could end up being an alternative source for vegetarians + vegans
Meh!