Jump to topic:

Who Wants to Talk Black Holes?

Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:14:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I've always found black holes really interesting, but most of the people that I talk to haven't done much research on the subject. I'd really like to talk to someone about these mysterious space-time anomalies.

This isn't so much a debate as a discussion about a topic that I, and hopefully others, find interesting.

(If you would like to join the discussion, please make sure that you have at least some kind of understanding of what a black hole is and the theories on how they work. I want to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. If you want to learn about black holes, I suggest visiting this link to start.)

http://science.nasa.gov...
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:16:10 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:14:45 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:
I've always found black holes really interesting, but most of the people that I talk to haven't done much research on the subject. I'd really like to talk to someone about these mysterious space-time anomalies.

This isn't so much a debate as a discussion about a topic that I, and hopefully others, find interesting.

(If you would like to join the discussion, please make sure that you have at least some kind of understanding of what a black hole is and the theories on how they work. I want to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. If you want to learn about black holes, I suggest visiting this link to start.)

I would be interested in discussing why you think black holes exist (please don't say because scientists say so or something to that equivalence) . I find the counter explanations from plasma cosmology to provide a better explanations to observations some scientists attribute to black holes.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:27:14 PM
We can be fairly certain that black holes do exist. We have seen x-rays and other radiation coming from seemingly empty space, and we can observe the effects that their gravity has on other bodies in space. From the observations that we have been able to observe, black holes seem very likely to exist. We have also been able to create our own black holes here on Earth. They only last for a fraction of a second, but they have been created.

(Also, you may have to dumb some things down. I consider myself to be relatively educated on this topic, but I am still a high school student, and it has been a while since I have had a real conversation about black holes.)
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:54:01 PM
At 5/20/2016 6:27:14 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:
We can be fairly certain that black holes do exist. We have seen x-rays and other radiation coming from seemingly empty space, and we can observe the effects that their gravity has on other bodies in space. From the observations that we have been able to observe, black holes seem very likely to exist.

Can you fill in the missing pieces of logic between "We have seen x-rays and other radiation coming from seemingly empty space" and "therefor black holes exist"?

Saying "we can observe the effects that their gravity has on other bodies in space" unjustly assumes that gravity is the predominant force in the universe.

We have also been able to create our own black holes here on Earth. They only last for a fraction of a second, but they have been created.

1. source?
2. how do you know what they created was a black hole?

(Also, you may have to dumb some things down. I consider myself to be relatively educated on this topic, but I am still a high school student, and it has been a while since I have had a real conversation about black holes.)
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:43:18 AM

ME: I thought you were going to talk about a mob of Africans playing leap frog.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 4:41:43 AM
At 5/20/2016 10:54:01 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:
We can be fairly certain that black holes do exist. We have seen x-rays and other radiation coming from seemingly empty space, and we can observe the effects that their gravity has on other bodies in space. From the observations that we have been able to observe, black holes seem very likely to exist.

Can you fill in the missing pieces of logic between "We have seen x-rays and other radiation coming from seemingly empty space" and "therefor black holes exist"?

Black holes emit x-rays and other electromagnetic radiation

Saying "we can observe the effects that their gravity has on other bodies in space" unjustly assumes that gravity is the predominant force in the universe.

I'm not sating that gravity is the main or predominant force. It is actually the weakest of the four universal forces. I am just saying that it is one of the easiest ways to detect a black hole. If you see a star orbiting something that doesn't seem to be there, it could be a black hole.

We have also been able to create our own black holes here on Earth. They only last for a fraction of a second, but they have been created.

1. source?

1. If you look up black hole created on Earth, you will find many sources that discuss the creation of microscopic black holes in the Large Hadron Collider in CERN.
2. We know that is was a black hole because they behave in exactly the way that a black hole should.

By the way, the black holes created in CERN pose no threat to Earth. They are extremely small, and they evaporate in fractions of a second. Even if one stayed around, it would take billions of years for one to destroy one milligram of matter (according to livescience.com)

bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 5:11:18 AM

http://science.nasa.gov... : :

Gravity and black holes are not real. They're only illusions formed in the minds of those who believe they exist. Time, space and matter are also illusions that are formed from the processing of information in the form of invisible waves. Information is delivered into your mind via technology called the voice of God where it is processed into visible objects and thoughts.

There are many astrophysicists, cosmologists, physicists, etc. who don't believe in black holes. Some of them believe that gravity, light, time, space and matter are illusions but they have no way of proving their beliefs to be true. That's because they do not know what the voice of God is or how they get their thoughts and perceive visible objects.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 5:23:43 AM
At 5/21/2016 5:11:18 AM, bonsai wrote:

Gravity and black holes are not real. They're only illusions formed in the minds of those who believe they exist. Time, space and matter are also illusions that are formed from the processing of information in the form of invisible waves. Information is delivered into your mind via technology called the voice of God where it is processed into visible objects and thoughts.

There are many astrophysicists, cosmologists, physicists, etc. who don't believe in black holes. Some of them believe that gravity, light, time, space and matter are illusions but they have no way of proving their beliefs to be true. That's because they do not know what the voice of God is or how they get their thoughts and perceive visible objects.

Please tell me you are joking. If you are not, then please leave this discussion. I wanted to talk about black holes in a logical, scientific way. I don't need religious nonsense to come in here and try to deny a universal law of physics and to tell me that God is the only thing that allows me to see or think.

If you are joking, however, good one.
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:08:47 AM
At 5/21/2016 5:23:43 AM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Please tell me you are joking. If you are not, then please leave this discussion. I wanted to talk about black holes in a logical, scientific way. I don't need religious nonsense to come in here and try to deny a universal law of physics and to tell me that God is the only thing that allows me to see or think.

If you are joking, however, good one. : :

You're the one who is believing the lies that scientists tell you. They have no idea what they're looking at.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:20:19 AM
At 5/21/2016 6:08:47 AM, bonsai wrote:
At 5/21/2016 5:23:43 AM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

If you are joking, however, good one. : :

You're the one who is believing the lies that scientists tell you. They have no idea what they're looking at.

And you are the only one that does? Out of the millions of scientists out there, they are all wrong, and you are the only one that knows the truth? That is just the highest form of ignorance. Not only do you believe that you alone have the right answers, but you are also denying powerful evidence from scientists that, lets face it, are a lot smarter than you. This is one of the biggest problems in the world today. Ignorance for the sake of ignorance.

"There is only one good, that is knowledge; there is only one evil, that is ignorance."
- Aristotle
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:25:59 AM
Now, bonsai. Since you have proven that you are not willing to discus this in a scientific matter, but instead choose to bring religion into this, I am asking you to leave this forum. This was posted in the science section for a reason and not in the religion section. Keep in mind that I am asking this nicely and trying not to offend you. I am looking for a scientific discussion, which you obviously do not want to offer. Please leave.
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 8:25:40 AM

Some of them believe that gravity, light, time, space and matter are illusions but they have no way of proving their beliefs to be true. That's because they do not know what the voice of God is or how they get their thoughts and perceive visible objects.

The existence of Gravity has been established by multiple scientific experiments. It is a law which means it cannot be disproved.

Also "There are many astrophysicists, cosmologists, physicists, etc. who don't believe in black holes."? Really? If you cannot, believe in the very fundamentals of physics you do not honestly qualify to become a physicist or astronomer. Gravity and other Physical laws are the basic principles which govern our universe.

Also, please stop involving religion into this discussion. There is an entire section of DDO which is meant for that purpose.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 9:46:20 AM
At 5/21/2016 8:25:40 AM, ZeldaMafia wrote:

Some of them believe that gravity, light, time, space and matter are illusions but they have no way of proving their beliefs to be true. That's because they do not know what the voice of God is or how they get their thoughts and perceive visible objects.

The existence of Gravity has been established by multiple scientific experiments. It is a law which means it cannot be disproved.

Dude what?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:51:02 PM

LOL, you learned a very valuable lesson. Every conspiracy theory and science denier comes to play in the science section.

I'm a black hole noob, but I find the idea of the ergoshpere to be quite interesting.

Just a month or so I posted a nasa experiment which confirms the earth's rotation twists space time ever so slightly. Apply that to the spinning black hole and the rate at which it can drag space time around it is astounding.

Put a particle in the ergosphere that is travelling the same direction of spin and from a static Cartesian point not tied to space time it can actually travel faster than the speed of light. Although technically since space time is moving with it it is not technically the more speed of light.

The event horizon is smaller on a spinning blackhole. They are very interesting creatures.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:12:45 PM
Black holes emit Hawking radiation but no e-m at all. Stuff falling into a BH emits e-m radiation,but not the BH itself.
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:25:28 PM
At 5/21/2016 9:46:20 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Dude what?

Anything wrong?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 1:41:54 PM
At 5/23/2016 1:12:45 PM, keithprosser wrote:
Black holes emit Hawking radiation but no e-m at all. Stuff falling into a BH emits e-m radiation,but not the BH itself.

Ur referring to the event horizon. BH includes areas beyond event horizon.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 5:35:54 PM
At 5/23/2016 1:25:28 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:
At 5/21/2016 9:46:20 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Dude what?

Anything wrong?

Yes, the underlined part.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 5:51:22 PM

I had a debate on this early in my time on DDO...you can check it out and ask me anything about it.

http://www.debate.org...
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 9:26:35 PM
Ur referring to the event horizon. BH includes areas beyond event horizon.

Does it? Before I posted I checked in several places and all the definitions I found refer to a region from which light (ie e-m radiation) cannot escape. All the gamma rays and uv radiation etc comes from matter that is swirling around and falling into the BH, not from the BH itself.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:28:48 AM
At 5/23/2016 1:12:45 PM, keithprosser wrote:

Oh yeah, that's right. Like I said, it's been a while. Thanks.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:50:35 AM

I got interested in topology for a while. Not enough to really know much. (Didn't pay the bills) If black holes (and all gravity fields) distort space, why are objects compressed near black holes? Wouldn't the distortion of space also distort the objects within it an equal amount, so they would not be compressed, only stretched? Is there a ratio between the amount space is distorted and an object is distorted? Doesn't that mean the object is increased in size relative to the surrounding space? What am I missing here?

By the way, there was spotted a white hole candidate recently:
http://earthsky.org...
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:51:45 AM
At 5/20/2016 10:54:01 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

1. source?

I've read about one version of the plasma cosmology a while ago. What do they say "black holes" actually are?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:06:08 AM
I think there was some talkabout the LHC producing mini-black holes but I don't think any were actually produced.

What do they say "black holes" actually are?

Do this in stages!

At the heart of a black hole is what is called a 'singularity'. A singularity is considered to be a point-sized (ie zero sized) object of infinite density. The mass of the original star and all the matter that falls into the BH ends up a crushed into a mathematical point at the singularity. All that concentration of mass means a singularity has a ridiculously powerful gravitational field.

'Escape velocity' is the speed something has to move at to escape from the source of a gravitational field, such as the Earth, the Sun or a BH. The stronger the field and the closer you are to the source the higher the escape velocity required. To escape the earths gravity a velocity of about 25,000 mph is required near the surface of the earth, but it reduces as you move away from the Earth.

Close to a singularity the escape velocity is many times the speed of light, but the escape velocity reduces as you get further from the singularity. At a specific distance from the singularity (called the 'schwarzschild radius') the escape velocity is exactly the speed of light. The upshot is that photons (or anything else)can't escape from the BH if they are or get closer then the schwarzschild radius to the central singularity.

So the short answer is that a BH is a super dense point-like singularity surrounded by a region (produced by the singularity's own gravity) where the escape velocity is greater then the speed of light.
ssadi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 7:17:08 AM

I am in..

What will we talk about them?
Or were they created without anything being before them (or out of something different than the basic material of all creation, so that they know things others do not), or are they the creators (of themselves, so that they can maintain themselves and are free in their acts)? Or did they create the heavens and the earth (so that their sovereignty belongs to them)? No indeed. Rather, they have no certain knowledge (about creation, humankind, and the basic facts concerning them).

Quran, 52:35-36
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 7:58:24 AM

And there are many many who believe they are real.
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 12:36:35 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/6/2016 7:58:24 AM, Axonly wrote:

And there are many many who believe they are real.

Interestingly enough, they are working on creating the first ever image of a black hole

See this article: http://www.iflscience.com...
Meh!
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 12:45:39 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
A neutron is a small black hole. it holds matter together by creating a real vacuum or dimensional gate.