Article on hidden social forces

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 1:12:00 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
http://www.scientificamerican.com...

I love this article, it is worth a sharing.

In particular, the part about political parties is quite interesting, and explains a lot of the conflict between the left and the right.
Meh!
Akhenaten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 12:33:33 AM
Book - "Contagious: Why Things Catch On"

The concept of a contagion is a false concept. Diseases are not contagious. It is not necessary to wear a face mask to protect you from disease. Disease is caused by improper diet and dangerous chemicals. Thus, this article is based on many false assumptions.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:18:32 PM
At 6/14/2016 1:12:00 PM, Axonly wrote:

In particular, the part about political parties is quite interesting, and explains a lot of the conflict between the left and the right.

Good read. In and out group psychology impacts us profoundly. The only debate I have done years ago tried to argue how racial profiling such as stopping all Hispanics to check for papers creates a racial "out" group that police will subconsciously treat very different. I also believe that subconcious bias is why blacks are more likely to go to prison for marijuana or ge shot by police.

People severly error on the side of thinking they are in full control of themselves and that is a very wrong assumption. This is an area largely ignored by society and science is uncovering how it does impact how we behave.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:33:50 PM
At 6/17/2016 1:18:32 PM, slo1 wrote:

Good read. In and out group psychology impacts us profoundly. The only debate I have done years ago tried to argue how racial profiling such as stopping all Hispanics to check for papers creates a racial "out" group that police will subconsciously treat very different. I also believe that subconcious bias is why blacks are more likely to go to prison for marijuana or ge shot by police.

You'd be wrong. Blacks are more likely to deal drugs in public as opposed to behind closed doors. The same studies that show the discrepencies in arrest rates actually explain this to the people who read them all the way through.

Also blacks are more likely to not conply with an officers orders, requiring them to use force. There is a direct correlation between how much a group feels disaffected and their rates of resistance, which is why native Americans are the most likely group to be shot by cops, and asains the least likely.

People severly error on the side of thinking they are in full control of themselves and that is a very wrong assumption. This is an area largely ignored by society and science is uncovering how it does impact how we behave.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 2:43:31 PM
At 6/17/2016 1:33:50 PM, Wylted wrote:

You'd be wrong. Blacks are more likely to deal drugs in public as opposed to behind closed doors. The same studies that show the discrepencies in arrest rates actually explain this to the people who read them all the way through.

You can take your one study and ignore all the others that show bias in sentencing lengths to likelihood of stop and frisk in NY City.

PS. I would rather not read all the way through one study than not read the collection of studies which overwhelmingly supports humans operate with bias towards out groups.

Also blacks are more likely to not conply with an officers orders, requiring them to use force. There is a direct correlation between how much a group feels disaffected and their rates of resistance, which is why native Americans are the most likely group to be shot by cops, and asains the least likely.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 3:32:19 PM
At 6/17/2016 2:43:31 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2016 1:33:50 PM, Wylted wrote:

You can take your one study and ignore all the others that show bias in sentencing lengths to likelihood of stop and frisk in NY City.

Actually it would be every single study on why blacks are more likely to be arrested for drug crimes. Sentencing lengths are equal when prior convictions are taken into account. Stop and frisk laws are used to prevent gang violence and for that reason occur more often in high gang areas, which are more often than not predominately black. Predominantly black communities will obviously have people stopped in those areas more often who are black.

PS. I would rather not read all the way through one study than not read the collection of studies which overwhelmingly supports humans operate with bias towards out groups.

Obviously that sort of bias occurs, and pretty much everybody has that sort of bias. I was pointing out how you misinterpreted some statistics. I don't disagree with your conclusion that racial bias exists in pretty much everybody.

Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:51:05 PM

Considering the completely ignorant crap you wrote, what do you think the chances are that you've been psychologically impacted by the war on whites, so you think blacks and Hispanics are racial victims, when the opposite is true?

Whites are twice as likely to be shot by police, relative to violent crime statistics.

No one goes to prison for smoking pot. They go to prison for dealing and for violence, especially if they have a prior criminal history. Anyone actually imprisoned for smoking pot plead guilty to avoid greater charges.

Why are you so ignorant, and racist?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:07:30 PM
At 6/17/2016 5:51:05 PM, Rukado wrote:

Considering the completely ignorant crap you wrote, what do you think the chances are that you've been psychologically impacted by the war on whites, so you think blacks and Hispanics are racial victims, when the opposite is true?

Whites are twice as likely to be shot by police, relative to violent crime statistics.

No one goes to prison for smoking pot. They go to prison for dealing and for violence, especially if they have a prior criminal history. Anyone actually imprisoned for smoking pot plead guilty to avoid greater charges.

Why are you a dipshit skinhead?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:32:24 PM

Thanks for this. I think it's interesting that we have two somewhat opposing psychological drives: the need to be perceived as part of the group (conformity) and to be perceived as unique or different. The balancing act is tricky, in that, we typically want to be different than the group norm, but not so different that we are excluded from the group. This mostly is in regard to the 'restaurant' section of the article.
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:49:07 PM
At 6/17/2016 5:51:05 PM, Rukado wrote:

Did you just say "war on whites"?

40% of the unarmed fatalities in 2015 were black men. Only 6% of the population is black. [http://www.washingtonpost.com...]

That looks like a bias against black men to me.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 9:54:08 PM
At 6/17/2016 8:49:07 PM, Cobalt wrote:

40% of the unarmed fatalities in 2015 were black men. Only 6% of the population is black. [http://www.washingtonpost.com...]

That looks like a bias against black men to me.

2015 saw an increase in blacks killed by police, no doubt in relationship to an increase in black uprising against police thanks to black racist groups like BLM. And, I could give you other statistics that are a bit different from those you linked. But, taking your numbers, that 6% of the population is responsible for over half the violent crime in America, but are shot at less than half as often. Unarmed whites are still disproportionately shot and killed by police.
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 10:01:13 PM
At 6/17/2016 9:54:08 PM, Rukado wrote:

2015 saw an increase in blacks killed by police, no doubt in relationship to an increase in black uprising against police thanks to black racist groups like BLM. And, I could give you other statistics that are a bit different from those you linked. But, taking your numbers, that 6% of the population is responsible for over half the violent crime in America, but are shot at less than half as often. Unarmed whites are still disproportionately shot and killed by police.

If 40% of unarmed victims are black men, then the highest possible percentage of unarmed white men shot and killed is 60%, which is less than the percentage of the population that's white. That doesn't even take into account Latinos.

So no, unarmed whites are not disproportionately shot and killed by police, since the black men death percentage is too high.