Jump to topic:

How does hypnosis work?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:57:16 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I know this is a weird question but I'm going to ask it anyway. How exactly does hypnosis work? What is it about hypnosis that allows people to actually be hypnotized?

Hypnosis kind of scares me because it can be very effective but it also kind of fascinates me that hypnosis can actually change a person's behavior/affect their state of mind.

Also, why does hypnosis make people sleep and what is it about that creepy swirly thing that allows hypnosis to be effective?

I'm not interested in being hypnotized. I just want to know how exactly hypnosis works.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 9:24:53 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:57:16 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I know this is a weird question but I'm going to ask it anyway. How exactly does hypnosis work? What is it about hypnosis that allows people to actually be hypnotized?

Basically, it works by communicating with the unconscious part of the brain and making suggestions to it, as it is more open to suggestion than our conscious mind.

Hypnosis kind of scares me because it can be very effective but it also kind of fascinates me that hypnosis can actually change a person's behavior/affect their state of mind.

Also, why does hypnosis make people sleep and what is it about that creepy swirly thing that allows hypnosis to be effective?

It doesn't make them sleep so much as they have to be in a sleep like state for it to work. This "trance" is how they are able to bypass the conscious brain and basically speak to the unconscious. As for the swirly thing, this aids in the process of getting them into the trance. This can also be done through any repetitive, monotonous stimulus. (think a droning teacher who puts you to sleep, or rain on a tin roof.)

I'm not interested in being hypnotized. I just want to know how exactly hypnosis works.

source: http://www.abouthypnosis.com...
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:09:54 AM
At 6/21/2016 9:24:53 PM, bamiller43 wrote:

Basically, it works by communicating with the unconscious part of the brain and making suggestions to it, as it is more open to suggestion than our conscious mind.

It doesn't make them sleep so much as they have to be in a sleep like state for it to work. This "trance" is how they are able to bypass the conscious brain and basically speak to the unconscious. As for the swirly thing, this aids in the process of getting them into the trance. This can also be done through any repetitive, monotonous stimulus. (think a droning teacher who puts you to sleep, or rain on a tin roof.)

Oh, I get it now! So hypnosis doesn't necessarily make people sleep, which is to permanently rest. It puts people in a trance, which is a temporary sleep-like state of mind! So basically the swirly thing is like an optical illusion that's designed to make your eyes more sleepy and therefore put you in a trance! The constant swirling is what helps the person being hypnotized to enter the trance more easily! Like you said, a droning teacher can put you to sleep because of how soft, wish-washy, and hypnotic her voice sounds! I get it now!

source: http://www.abouthypnosis.com...

Thank you for explaining how hypnosis works! I really appreciate it!

I have another question! How exactly is hypnosis programmed to be a certain type of hypnosis? For example, how is original hypnosis turned into smoke-free hypnosis or lip-chewing hypnosis or drug addiction hypnosis or any type of hypnosis designed to change a person's bad habits or just take them to a weird and interesting wish-washy world?
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:24:20 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:09:54 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

I have another question! How exactly is hypnosis programmed to be a certain type of hypnosis? For example, how is original hypnosis turned into smoke-free hypnosis or lip-chewing hypnosis or drug addiction hypnosis or any type of hypnosis designed to change a person's bad habits or just take them to a weird and interesting wish-washy world?

Basically once a person is in the hypnotic state, the therapist or practitioner associates bad habits (smoking and lip-chewing) with negative emotions or things, and good habits (hygiene, cleaning) with positive emotions. How they do this in the physical world, i have no clue. The unconscious brain is incredibly malleable.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:59:53 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:24:20 AM, bamiller43 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 3:09:54 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Basically once a person is in the hypnotic state, the therapist or practitioner associates bad habits (smoking and lip-chewing) with negative emotions or things, and good habits (hygiene, cleaning) with positive emotions. How they do this in the physical world, i have no clue. The unconscious brain is incredibly malleable.

Wow, hypnosis is very scary but interesting to learn about!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 10:34:18 PM
I just want to know how exactly hypnosis works.

It seems as though our minds are not conscious of all their executive processes, Foodie (executive processes being the ones that lead to decision-making.)

If you can modulate the mind's focus, it can be distracted from questioning what it believes, but also lulled away from being distracted by other matters. This can result in a state of heightened focus and concentration, which is also (typically) a low anxiety state -- and it can be a state of heightened suggestibility.

According to a Stanford study, about a quarter of all people can't be hypnotised. This isn't a function of personality or temperament but was conjectured to be a product of neurological structure, so they turned to doing MRI scans of hypnotised and unhypnotisable patients. [https://med.stanford.edu...]

What they found was that the two relevant brain functions are the centre that makes executive decisions (technicaly called the left dorsolateral prefontal cortex), and the 'salience centre' which decides priorities (technically called the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex). In hypnotisable people, these centres are strongly connected and work together (so that what you decide also determines what is important), while in unhypnotisable people they are less connected and tend to work apart (so that what you decide doesn't determine what's important.)

So perhaps if you can keep a subject calm, relaxed, supported and feeling safe, you can create a suggestion the subject will follow to be agreeable, at which point the executive centre may increasingly tell the salience centre that objections are irrelevant, and to be ignored. That can produce the effects we see in hypnosis: the ability to ignore pain and discomfort; to increase focus, awareness and precision; and to ignore reasonable objections to unreasonable suggestions. :)

So hypnosis could work by exploiting a particular cognitive style. That's what the Stanford researchers concluded in 2012.

I hope that may be useful.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 12:33:23 PM
At 6/22/2016 10:34:18 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

It seems as though our minds are not conscious of all their executive processes, Foodie (executive processes being the ones that lead to decision-making.)

If you can modulate the mind's focus, it can be distracted from questioning what it believes, but also lulled away from being distracted by other matters. This can result in a state of heightened focus and concentration, which is also (typically) a low anxiety state -- and it can be a state of heightened suggestibility.

According to a Stanford study, about a quarter of all people can't be hypnotised. This isn't a function of personality or temperament but was conjectured to be a product of neurological structure, so they turned to doing MRI scans of hypnotised and unhypnotisable patients. [https://med.stanford.edu...]

What they found was that the two relevant brain functions are the centre that makes executive decisions (technicaly called the left dorsolateral prefontal cortex), and the 'salience centre' which decides priorities (technically called the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex). In hypnotisable people, these centres are strongly connected and work together (so that what you decide also determines what is important), while in unhypnotisable people they are less connected and tend to work apart (so that what you decide doesn't determine what's important.)

So perhaps if you can keep a subject calm, relaxed, supported and feeling safe, you can create a suggestion the subject will follow to be agreeable, at which point the executive centre may increasingly tell the salience centre that objections are irrelevant, and to be ignored. That can produce the effects we see in hypnosis: the ability to ignore pain and discomfort; to increase focus, awareness and precision; and to ignore reasonable objections to unreasonable suggestions. :)

So hypnosis could work by exploiting a particular cognitive style. That's what the Stanford researchers concluded in 2012.

Hypnosis is very odd :/
Meh!
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:26:04 PM
At 6/23/2016 12:33:23 PM, Axonly wrote:

Hypnosis is very odd :/

I agree! Hypnosis is very odd indeed!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:29:32 PM

You should also add that you have to "want/be willing" to be hypnotized in order for it to work.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:40:44 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:29:32 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
If you can modulate the mind's focus, it can be distracted from questioning what it believes, but also lulled away from being distracted by other matters.
You should also add that you have to "want/be willing" to be hypnotized in order for it to work.
No, I shouldn't add that, PS. There's plenty of evidence it's not true.

Have you ever been on a long drive and become lulled and entranced by the soothing noises of the car-engine and tyres, the monotonous line in the centre of the road, perhaps the dappled play of afternoon sunlight through trees, to the point where you began to forget what you were doing in the driver's seat, and all that mattered was watching the line, perhaps wondering where it would go next?

Is that a safe state to be in while driving? Did you seek that state?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:45:12 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:40:44 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
If you can modulate the mind's focus, it can be distracted from questioning what it believes, but also lulled away from being distracted by other matters.

Have you ever been on a long drive and become lulled and entranced by the soothing noises of the car-engine and tyres, the monotonous line in the centre of the road, perhaps the dappled play of afternoon sunlight through trees, to the point where you began to forget what you were doing in the driver's seat, and all that mattered was watching the line, perhaps wondering where it would go next?

Can you provide some evidence that they can make you do something against your will?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:53:32 PM

I love how you described everything so beautifully! You could make a good author!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 8:00:41 PM
At 6/23/2016 7:53:32 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

I love how you described everything so beautifully! You could make a good author!

That's very kind of you to say, Foodie. I have written and published fiction, and still write when time and inspiration permit. :)
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:59:34 AM

+1
Meh!
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 8:37:40 AM
At 6/27/2016 11:59:34 AM, Axonly wrote:

+1

+1

Ruv and Skep should collaborate in popular science or something. That would be awesome!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:40:48 PM

Hypnosis is one of many quackery practices around today. In other words there is no such thing as being able to mesmerise the mind.

Sure, it is entertaining to see a "hypnotist" on stage "making" people believe they are chickens but consider what happens. First, the subjects are usually in a state of inebriation and up for a bit of show-off fun. Then of course is the test where those who "can't be hypnotised" are eliminated. The remaining subjects are then of course putty in the hypnotists hands.
Hypnotists, clairvoyants, astrologers, numerologists, naturopaths and chiropractors all fit in the same category of con-artists and snake oil merchants who have always been around and will continue to do so as long as they have a ready supply of "victims" who are gullible enough to believe in their quackery.