Jump to topic:

What is consciousness?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:29:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have asked this before but it still baffles me and strikes my interest. What is consciousness? What does it mean to be conscious? What is it's source? Where is it?How does it start? How does it end? How do you know? Can science explain it? Can the nature of comprehension even be understood by itself?--is it beyond our understanding?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 11:11:04 AM
At 12/17/2010 3:29:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I have asked this before but it still baffles me and strikes my interest. What is consciousness? What does it mean to be conscious? What is it's source? Where is it?How does it start? How does it end? How do you know? Can science explain it? Can the nature of comprehension even be understood by itself?--is it beyond our understanding?

I think it's pretty clear that it's what renders us distinct, self-aware individuals.

Persona, personality, emotions, intellect, experience, compulsions, ethics, and inheritance.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 12:40:45 PM

The short of it is that nobody knows. I think the most that neurologists can say about it is that certain state of mind correlate to certain neuronal activities.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:02:43 PM
At 12/17/2010 11:11:04 AM, Ren wrote:

I think it's pretty clear that it's what renders us distinct, self-aware individuals.

Persona, personality, emotions, intellect, experience, compulsions, ethics, and inheritance.

What is it, though? How can it be?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:06:42 PM
At 12/17/2010 3:02:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Your question doesn't really make any sense. What do you mean what IS it? What are you trying to reduce it to?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:13:04 PM
At 12/17/2010 3:06:42 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/17/2010 3:02:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Your question doesn't really make any sense. What do you mean what IS it? What are you trying to reduce it to?

It's hard to express. Where does it come from? What makes it so? One may explain that the brain is made up of this part and that part but ultimately that doesn't really explain consciousness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 12:18:20 AM
This has always puzzled me, as well. If we were to construct a computer to produce output given input, would it have consciousness? Would it have its own "mind"? What if we made something simple out of carbon, an organic creature as simple as a bacteria. Would it have consciousness? Probably not. It makes very few decisions at all. But if we keep evolving the bacteria, we get more and more complicated, until we arrive at us - and we have consciousness. I have consciousness, at least, but I can't prove the consciousness of you guys.

Another question is, is death irreversible, and why? If I were to destroy you, then put you back together with the exact same atomic structure, would you reappear as you were, nothing changed? Or would you be replaced by a new conciousness that inherited your memory and personalities? What if I were to clone you perfectly while you are alive? Does one consciousness inhabit two individuals?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 12:22:20 AM
At 12/18/2010 12:18:20 AM, mongeese wrote:
This has always puzzled me, as well. If we were to construct a computer to produce output given input, would it have consciousness? Would it have its own "mind"? What if we made something simple out of carbon, an organic creature as simple as a bacteria. Would it have consciousness? Probably not. It makes very few decisions at all. But if we keep evolving the bacteria, we get more and more complicated, until we arrive at us - and we have consciousness. I have consciousness, at least, but I can't prove the consciousness of you guys.

Another question is, is death irreversible, and why? If I were to destroy you, then put you back together with the exact same atomic structure, would you reappear as you were, nothing changed? Or would you be replaced by a new conciousness that inherited your memory and personalities? What if I were to clone you perfectly while you are alive? Does one consciousness inhabit two individuals?

What I see as most likely is that everything has a level of consciousness because of the flow of information that is passing between everything constantly causing reactions. But the more intricate this information is within a certain space the more consciousness exists there. As if consciousness is a force of nature.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 10:59:11 AM

If someone knew the answer to your really important questions, and they answered you, they would be hissed and hooted off the stage. Hence the silence! Two things though before I buzz off - the thought process cannot identify the Consciousness which silently observes it; and all modes of experimentation are also useless in proving the its actual nature.