Jump to topic:

Juno Arrives at Jupiter

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 4:00:37 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
The Juno Probe, which is to study the evolutionary patterns and the structure of Jupiter. What do you think it will find?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 6:43:54 AM
At 7/7/2016 4:00:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
The Juno Probe, which is to study the evolutionary patterns and the structure of Jupiter. What do you think it will find?

I think it's a bit misleading saying "the evolutionary patterns", because evolution isn't exactly relevant to this situation. I know what you mean; it's just you'd be better off using a different word.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 8:42:01 AM
At 7/7/2016 4:00:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
What do you think it will find?

Technically it's designed to pick up data on atmospheric gas and vapour compositions, gravitic profile, electromagnetic characteristics, and composition of the ionosphere. It may also be able to get indirect data on the composition of Jupiter's core, which has been scientifically contentious for a while. [http://phys.org...]

I think the rest is likely to be the result of integrating data with existing and emergent modelling: what processes that we know of, could result in that arrangement of these signatures? How do those processes differ from those we know of Earth's? How does that predict what else we've found in the solar system so far, and what else there might be to find?

Regarding applications further down the track, the conditions around Jupiter are so different, valuable insights might accrue to materials and energy sciences. For example, the element hydrogen, which is plentiful on Earth, easy to extract and has many applications in energy and industry, tends to exist naturally on Earth only in gaseous or ionic states, or bound up in other molecules. However, on Jupiter it may be able to spontaneously form a liquid metallic state, which could have application for energy storage and transmission. Metallic hydrogen has been created with difficulty on Earth, but is too unstable to study directly. On Jupiter, it's thought abundant. [http://news.harvard.edu...]

In another possible use for this knowledge, materials found in Jupiter's ionosphere may help shed light on a conjecture that Jupiter and Saturn may have helped direct particles toward earth useful in the formation of life. [http://online.liebertpub.com...]

We'll surely accumulate more information on the viability of using Jupiter or one of its moons as an orbital habitat too: perhaps not immediately useful, but handy to know about for generations to come
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 11:15:36 AM
At 7/7/2016 9:37:09 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I think we'll find several large, black monoliths transmitting cryptic messages about Europa.

Nah. Too early. We have to find the one on Luna first. :-)
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 11:38:48 AM
Actually its 6 years too late. I think we would have found Luna 1 if we hadn't stopped looking 40 odd years ago. As someone who grew up in the heady days, I thought we'd have bases on Mars by now, or Barsoom as I prefer to think of it....
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 5:39:13 PM
Pretty amazing that we are having a science mission to Jupiter since the Galileo mission. I'm very optimistic for this mission and hope that we will uncover secrets that were previously not known in the past. All this new scientific instruments will discover new things and raise new questions.
Joseph
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 6:32:29 PM
Cassini is still operating around Saturn and Opportunity is still roving mars and Rosetta recently landed on a comet - these should be exciting times, but it seems most people are more interested in Kim Kardashian's bottom.