Jump to topic:

Shocking Russian Experiment

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 3:36:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
(Strongly cautioned, this video is graphic and shocking, though not so much that they wouldn't allow it on youtube)

The actual footage starts about half-way through. It's insane how this is possible. This experiment was conducted to help with constructing the first artificial heart technology. Do you feel things like this are necessary or way too far?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SoSilly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 9:44:59 AM
Why do you think it's in black and white? They know we would want them to find a more ethical way nowadays (and hopefully they would too), and I'm pretty sure there is.

Forgive me if I lack knowledge on the subject. :P
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 3:30:56 PM
At 12/22/2010 9:44:59 AM, SoSilly wrote:
Why do you think it's in black and white? They know we would want them to find a more ethical way nowadays (and hopefully they would too), and I'm pretty sure there is.

Um...it's in black and white becaaaaause...the footage is old?? Yeah.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 3:31:43 PM
At 12/22/2010 3:30:56 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Um...it's in black and white becaaaaause...the footage is old?? Yeah.

Maybe that's it. It's just a hunch.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 4:18:41 PM

First off, i dont see how this is shocking to anyone. Russians are always the craziest of the bunch. They couldnt care less about ethics or morals.

Secondly, I dont find using a dog, any more different than using labrats.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 4:21:27 PM
At 12/22/2010 4:18:41 PM, tkubok wrote:

First off, i dont see how this is shocking to anyone. Russians are always the craziest of the bunch. They couldnt care less about ethics or morals.

First, horrible generalization.
Second, do rats feel less pain than dogs?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 5:16:16 PM
At 12/22/2010 4:21:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Of course they do silly, they're smaller.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 6:17:24 PM

Im talking about scientists. I dunno, it seems an apt generalization.

Rats feel as much pain as dogs.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 6:25:06 PM

Why does that matter?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 6:30:26 PM
At 12/22/2010 6:17:24 PM, tkubok wrote:

Im talking about scientists. I dunno, it seems an apt generalization.

Rats feel as much pain as dogs.

I think cutting off a head and keeping the animal alive is a little more cruel than shocks from pressing a lever...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2010 6:30:59 PM
Just watched the video...that is freaking amazing if it's real.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2010 6:35:20 PM
At 12/22/2010 6:30:59 PM, Korashk wrote:

Finally, someone else who saw this and thought "That's f*cking kick-@ss"
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 3:35:25 PM
At 12/22/2010 3:36:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:
(Strongly cautioned, this video is graphic and shocking, though not so much that they wouldn't allow it on youtube)

The actual footage starts about half-way through. It's insane how this is possible. This experiment was conducted to help with constructing the first artificial heart technology. Do you feel things like this are necessary or way too far?:

Well, that was disturbing, but looking at it from a clinical perspective, that was really cool... not to mention unexpected. It's like complex thought like (holy fvck, I have no body) is removed, and simple reaction still stimuli remains.

To answer your question more directly, it's too far IF the dog didn't initially die by natural causes.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 4:13:11 PM

Definitely this.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 4:15:56 PM
At 12/29/2010 3:35:25 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 12/22/2010 3:36:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:

The actual footage starts about half-way through. It's insane how this is possible. This experiment was conducted to help with constructing the first artificial heart technology. Do you feel things like this are necessary or way too far?:

Well, that was disturbing, but looking at it from a clinical perspective, that was really cool... not to mention unexpected. It's like complex thought like (holy fvck, I have no body) is removed, and simple reaction still stimuli remains.

To answer your question more directly, it's too far IF the dog didn't initially die by natural causes.

Okay, we need a like/dislike button. gavin.ogden likes this.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 5:37:48 PM

Ogan: What was disturbing was that human beings felt the need to prove what was already obvious to any sensible person - that the brain only needs life-blood for it to persist. This is similar to one paralysed from the neck down where the only stimili is in the head. The fact that an artificial blood supply takes the place of the normal heart supply is by the way and has been known for a long time.

(To answer your question more directly, it's too far IF the dog didn't initially die by natural causes.)

Ogan: Again I would suggest that IF the dog was already dead prior to the experiment, then the stimuli would have been much, much less. I suggest that they operated carefully on a living dog replacing its blood system first, then severed the rest of the body and experimented with the living dog's senses. What have they learned from this cruelty? That the brain needs fresh blood to carry on - which we already know! What utter stupidity and ignorance.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 5:59:39 PM
At 12/29/2010 5:37:48 PM, Ogan wrote:

Ogan: What was disturbing was that human beings felt the need to prove what was already obvious to any sensible person - that the brain only needs life-blood for it to persist. This is similar to one paralysed from the neck down where the only stimili is in the head. The fact that an artificial blood supply takes the place of the normal heart supply is by the way and has been known for a long time.

(To answer your question more directly, it's too far IF the dog didn't initially die by natural causes.)

Ogan: Again I would suggest that IF the dog was already dead prior to the experiment, then the stimuli would have been much, much less. I suggest that they operated carefully on a living dog replacing its blood system first, then severed the rest of the body and experimented with the living dog's senses. What have they learned from this cruelty? That the brain needs fresh blood to carry on - which we already know! What utter stupidity and ignorance.

Well put.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:15:20 PM
At 12/29/2010 5:37:48 PM, Ogan wrote:

This
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:20:39 PM

it's not about the pain, it's about we don't care about rats as much as dogs.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:21:05 PM
At 12/23/2010 6:35:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Not if you're the dog.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 8:14:49 AM
At 12/29/2010 6:21:05 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 12/23/2010 6:35:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Not if you're the dog.

Yeah, but other than that perspective, it's f*cking awesome.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 8:15:00 AM
What have they learned from this cruelty? That the brain needs fresh blood to carry on - which we already know! What utter stupidity and ignorance.:

The point, I'm guessing, is to see if a mind can live on without a body in the future. The long-term benefit may be to study the brain of highly intelligent people.

But there is certainly an ethical problem associated with it. For instance, suppose that this was done, either willingly or against your will. So your mind is aware and you can do nothing to stop it. You're trapped with no way to communicate to them (no vocal chords) that you want them to pull the plug.

In the final analysis though, I do agree with you. It's unnecessary cruelty.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 7:40:52 PM
At 12/30/2010 8:15:00 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What have they learned from this cruelty? That the brain needs fresh blood to carry on - which we already know! What utter stupidity and ignorance.:

The point, I'm guessing, is to see if a mind can live on without a body in the future. The long-term benefit may be to study the brain of highly intelligent people.

But there is certainly an ethical problem associated with it. For instance, suppose that this was done, either willingly or against your will. So your mind is aware and you can do nothing to stop it. You're trapped with no way to communicate to them (no vocal chords) that you want them to pull the plug.

In the final analysis though, I do agree with you. It's unnecessary cruelty.

Futurama time!

I wonder how such an act would alter one's life span?
T1000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 7:52:56 PM
At 1/1/2011 7:40:52 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 12/30/2010 8:15:00 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

The scientist that performed this experiment was Vladimir Petrovich Demikhov. The success of the Russian in the head transplants then lead to Robert J. White an American scientist that perform head transplants on monkeys.

He got to the point that the transplanted head could have survived indefinitely. The only problem being the damage done to the spine during the operation, the body with the transplanted head would be paralyzed from the neck down.

Still interesting stuff especially considering advancements in stem cell research that could repair the damage done to the spine.

...A old person could put his head on a young persons body...