Jump to topic:

Science Documentaries

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:24:46 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
What science-related documentaries do you like and what are they about?

I've watched two so far on Netflix this week. Particle Fever tracks the first round of experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN (and if you don't know why that's important, look it up!). While I'm fascinated by physics, I definitely don't have a strong grasp of the field so I'm not sure I appreciated this film as much as other physics geeks might. I personally thought what they were doing is super interesting, but it wasn't exactly a riveting movie. It's kinda dry and I would only recommend it if you like science (though the Philosophy and theories behind it are cool).

I also watched My Beautiful Broken Brain which I thought could be kinda boring but also fascinating - especially if you like Psychology. It's about this young woman whose entire reality (language, visual perception, memory and more) was altered after having a stroke. It just goes to show how our perception is completely subjective and dependent on our brain -- and if our entire reality is subjective and dependant on our brain, including our interpretation of physical properties, can reality be objective? Interesting.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:22:50 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:07:31 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
The Elegant Universe is good, based on the book of the same name. It's about String Theory.

That sounds cool. I like learning about String Theory. Is it on Netflix?
President of DDO
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:56:38 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:22:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 5:07:31 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
The Elegant Universe is good, based on the book of the same name. It's about String Theory.

That sounds cool. I like learning about String Theory. Is it on Netflix?

Checked, it doesn't appear to be streating anywhere. :(
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 1:33:01 AM
Cosmos is really good. It's also on Netflix
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 1:41:14 AM
At 7/15/2016 1:33:01 AM, n7 wrote:
Cosmos is really good. It's also on Netflix

Totally. You should also watch Nova on PBS some time in the evening between eight and ten.
Joseph
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 6:54:12 PM
At 7/14/2016 4:24:46 PM, Danielle wrote:

I've watched two so far on Netflix this week. Particle Fever tracks the first round of experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN (and if you don't know why that's important, look it up!). While I'm fascinated by physics, I definitely don't have a strong grasp of the field so I'm not sure I appreciated this film as much as other physics geeks might. I personally thought what they were doing is super interesting, but it wasn't exactly a riveting movie. It's kinda dry and I would only recommend it if you like science (though the Philosophy and theories behind it are cool).

I also watched My Beautiful Broken Brain which I thought could be kinda boring but also fascinating - especially if you like Psychology. It's about this young woman whose entire reality (language, visual perception, memory and more) was altered after having a stroke. It just goes to show how our perception is completely subjective and dependent on our brain -- and if our entire reality is subjective and dependant on our brain, including our interpretation of physical properties, can reality be objective? Interesting.

I watched a documentary on Einstein on his life story which details how he came to the realization of the theory of relativity. Its interesting and does a good job of explaining a difficult subject.

https://www.youtube.com...
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 5:26:36 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

Here are some superb educational science shows, many can be found in their entirety on Youtube:

Burke's connections.
The day the universe changed.
The ascent of man.
Many past episodes of BBC's Horizon.

I consider James Burke to be the perhaps the best overall TV educator on science and its history without reservation, he emphasizes the historical context and prevailing philosophies at the time of various scientific developments.

Harry.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 5:50:42 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

"Frozen Planet" was also a good series
Meh!
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 5:42:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago

Many of the best ones are in fact some years old, I strongly recommend these:

The day the universe changed is a 10 episode series on how advancing science impacts the way we view the world. It's more about what science itself is and how we fit our understanding into our current views, superb, here's a clip from the start of the 1st episode:

A lot of know alls on this forum would benefit from watching this and understanding what's being said.

James Burke also did Burke's Connections again a great science TV series.

Some others I'd recommend:

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 7:01:29 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 5:42:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Many of the best ones are in fact some years old, I strongly recommend these:

The day the universe changed is a 10 episode series on how advancing science impacts the way we view the world. It's more about what science itself is and how we fit our understanding into our current views, superb, here's a clip from the start of the 1st episode:

A lot of know alls on this forum would benefit from watching this and understanding what's being said.

James Burke also did Burke's Connections again a great science TV series.

Some others I'd recommend:

Just all science in general is great.
Meh!