Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Can we / is it possible to reverse aging?

Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 1:55:05 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I have been reading some articles online but not really getting anywhere in understanding the science that goes behind something like this. I guess bc i have a spiritual essence to my beliefs... i just think we will. Either that or i will die young, bc i cannot fathom aging. Most things, like losing my hair, i couldn't / didn't want to believe, but i could see it happening. However, aging i just can't. So, do you think in my lifetime, 31, which gives about 20 years or so more... we will figure out how to reverse aging? Or stop it? Is this science possible?

Another thing, i am not talking about so much as giving us more time to live - I am more curious to know if we can stop the physical deterioration of our body and keep a youthful look until death.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 5:04:24 PM
As a 'mechanist' I think of the human body as essentially a machine made of chemicals. I think slowing the aging process might be very hard in practice - possibly impossibly difficult for it to be a reasonably prospect in the foreseeable future - but I wouldn't have thought is was impossible in principle.

Whether it is desirable or not is a separate issue. The structure of Human sociery and the basis of human psychology is predicated on the standard life span. The effects of a doubling or greater extension of human life is unknowable.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 5:58:14 PM
At 7/25/2016 5:04:24 PM, keithprosser wrote:
As a 'mechanist' I think of the human body as essentially a machine made of chemicals.

Then, you have missed the gist of it.

Machines are lifeless.

I think slowing the aging process might be very hard in practice - possibly impossibly difficult for it to be a reasonably prospect in the foreseeable future - but I wouldn't have thought is was impossible in principle.

Whether it is desirable or not is a separate issue. The structure of Human sociery and the basis of human psychology is predicated on the standard life span. The effects of a doubling or greater extension of human life is unknowable.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 6:53:20 PM
As I see it, what goes on in my body follows the same laws of physics and chemistry that govern everything else. I am asthmatic, so I an acutely aware that the operation of my body depends on drawing in sufficient oxygen, just as oxygen matters for operation of the engine of my car. My mucles and joints are mechically levers and my stomach uses regular hydrochloric acid to digest food.

I will concede that no machine made by humans today comes close to the marvellous complexity and self-sustaining qualities of a body. Today it takes no special skill to tell whether somethng is a man-made machine or a 'living thing' because they are so very different, but the gap is narrowing and perhaps in 50 or 100 years it won't be so easy to say what is a 'mere machine' and what is 'alive'.

You might say I don't think life depends on anything magic.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 1:51:40 AM
At 7/25/2016 5:04:24 PM, keithprosser wrote:
As a 'mechanist' I think of the human body as essentially a machine made of chemicals. I think slowing the aging process might be very hard in practice - possibly impossibly difficult for it to be a reasonably prospect in the foreseeable future - but I wouldn't have thought is was impossible in principle.

Is this just your opinion? I am confused, bc if you are a mechanic you know you can keep a car around for well past its age... why can't we do that?

Plus, i am not, like i said in my OP, talking about extending life... i don't care about that much. I was referring to a rejuvenation tactic - keeping us looking young. I feel that is something we can do in the foreseeable future.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 2:52:12 AM
Plus, i am not, like i said in my OP, talking about extending life... i don't care about that much. I was referring to a rejuvenation tactic - keeping us looking young. I feel that is something we can do in the foreseeable future.

What do you mean by foreseeable? I think beating the aging process is possible in principle, but it would take an Apollo-squared scale effort to do it simply because the human body is an incredibly complex system with thousands of intricately co-ordinated processes. In my opinion, it ain't gonna happen in any future I can foresee. I am not able to comment on the future I cannot foresee!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:07:07 AM
At 7/25/2016 1:55:05 AM, Outplayz wrote:
I have been reading some articles online but not really getting anywhere in understanding the science that goes behind something like this. I guess bc i have a spiritual essence to my beliefs... i just think we will. Either that or i will die young, bc i cannot fathom aging. Most things, like losing my hair, i couldn't / didn't want to believe, but i could see it happening. However, aging i just can't. So, do you think in my lifetime, 31, which gives about 20 years or so more... we will figure out how to reverse aging? Or stop it? Is this science possible?

Another thing, i am not talking about so much as giving us more time to live - I am more curious to know if we can stop the physical deterioration of our body and keep a youthful look until death.

It seems that it could be possible, at least if you are female:

http://www.bbc.com...
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:26:09 AM
At 7/26/2016 3:07:07 AM, dee-em wrote:

It seems that it could be possible, at least if you are female:

http://www.bbc.com...;

That was a good article, i need to catch this "Syndrome X" ;p

From what i am gathering, expanding life is much harder than the previous article i read is making it out to be, however, again, i think in the foreseeable future we can find out how to reverse the cell damage that causes the "appearance" of aging, or at least, i feel this will be discovered/worked-out first.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:05:18 AM

Possible it could happen one day, but probably not for a very long time.
Meh!
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:08:55 AM
At 7/26/2016 4:05:18 AM, Axonly wrote:

Maybe if we put more money into it... it can happen in our lifetime.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:14:21 AM
At 7/26/2016 4:08:55 AM, Outplayz wrote:

You really shouldn't fear aging. However, you could probably reduce it/prevent it with a good diet, regular exercise and frequent mental activity.

Evidence courteously of google scholar:
https://scholar.google.co.nz...

Note: These are all things you should be doing regardless of whether you want to slow down aging!
Meh!
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:17:35 AM

No, humans are meant to live and die.

After your death, you must be cremated. A man is born again and again till he achieves his ultimate goal.

Banyan tree is immortal, it has closed loop feedback.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:41:32 AM
At 7/26/2016 4:17:35 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

After your death, you must be cremated. A man is born again and again till he achieves his ultimate goal.

This is the science forum, not the religion forum fyi
Meh!
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:45:44 AM
At 7/25/2016 6:53:20 PM, keithprosser wrote:
As I see it, what goes on in my body follows the same laws of physics and chemistry that govern everything else. I am asthmatic, so I an acutely aware that the operation of my body depends on drawing in sufficient oxygen, just as oxygen matters for operation of the engine of my car. My mucles and joints are mechically levers and my stomach uses regular hydrochloric acid to digest food.

I will concede that no machine made by humans today comes close to the marvellous complexity and self-sustaining qualities of a body. Today it takes no special skill to tell whether somethng is a man-made machine or a 'living thing' because they are so very different, but the gap is narrowing and perhaps in 50 or 100 years it won't be so easy to say what is a 'mere machine' and what is 'alive'.

You might say I don't think life depends on anything magic.

Till today, no car in this world can feel itself (even the slightest).

Drawing parallels between man and machine won' the help. And I think we should no longer fear the magic part of it. It is undeniably there is something completely missing in a machine, living organisms don't .

Saying a century would be enough is more than an exaggeration, I will say blind belief in science, especially when we have no idea what consciousness really is. Unfortunately, most people are too confident, saying - I will master my language to the point I score good in mathematics. That's kind of absurd for me.

Indians have always used the word Vigyaan for Science. And, Vigyaan actually means consciousness. This is indicative of an entirely different approach.

The very fact that you feel you don't believe in magic means that something mysterious acts behind the curtain.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:57:58 AM
At 7/26/2016 4:41:32 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:17:35 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

This is the science forum, not the religion forum fyi

I have written science.