Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Impossibly Successive

Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:06:57 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Zeno's Achilles paradox in time form. Very original.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:15:17 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:06:57 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Zeno's Achilles paradox in time form. Very original.

Was it a satire?
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:16:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:15:17 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:06:57 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Zeno's Achilles paradox in time form. Very original.

Was it a satire?

Was what a satire?
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:28:17 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:16:36 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:15:17 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:06:57 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Zeno's Achilles paradox in time form. Very original.

Was it a satire?

Was what a satire?

OP being 'very original', were you joking?
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 6:17:56 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

You are presuming that time is infinitely divisible. We don't know that this is the case. Likewise, Zeno presumed that space was infinitely divisible, leading to his paradox of motion. Motion clearly exists, so clearly his paradox is invalid. Yours, having the same form, is also invalid. We needn't speculate why, as the evidence at hand is sufficient to show that it is wrong.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 6:49:46 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:28:17 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:16:36 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:15:17 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:06:57 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Zeno's Achilles paradox in time form. Very original.

Was it a satire?

Was what a satire?

OP being 'very original', were you joking?

Yes, I was being sarcastic.
bamiller43
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 7:20:53 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

Time can exist and flow in the same way we can have improper integrals with finite answers. After a certain point, yes, you cant still add numbers that are incredibly tiny, but it won't change the overall numerical value.

Ex: say i make a Riemann sum of rectangles under the graph 1/(x^2) from 1 to infinity.

The answer, using calculus and integration, is 1. Through Riemann sums, we can have a first term of .5, a second of .499999, and a third of .0000001. Since the upper bound is infinite, we can continue to add smaller and smaller terms, but we can tell just from these three, that the answer will still be one, and additional terms would be frivolous.

Granted, the universe cannot do calculus or Riemann sums, but there does come a point in time when 1.9999999999 can really just be considered, for all intents and purposes, to be 2, and eventually 2.19999999 will be 2.2, etc. And so time moves on, and so do we.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:59:59 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 6:17:56 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

You are presuming that time is infinitely divisible. We don't know that this is the case. Likewise, Zeno presumed that space was infinitely divisible, leading to his paradox of motion. Motion clearly exists, so clearly his paradox is invalid. Yours, having the same form, is also invalid. We needn't speculate why, as the evidence at hand is sufficient to show that it is wrong.

You are wrong.

Time MUST be infinitely divisible. How? Why? Let me show you.

For now -

Let us assume that the smallest unit of time is one minute.

Now, one minute HAS TO PASS FOR IT TO BE KNOWN AS TIME.

IT IS DURATION.

IF ONE MINUTE JUST HAPPENS, it is not time.

One minute has to PASS.

LIKEWISE, ONE SECOND HAS TO PASS.

SIMPLY PUT, ONE MINUTE HAS TO TAKE TIME FOR IT TO BE CALLED ONE MINUTE.

TIME IS NOTHING. WHAT YOU SEE IS RELATIVE MOTION ALL AROUND YOU.

A DURATION CAN ALWAYS BE DIVIDED.

I CHOSE 'TIME' FOR A REASON.

EINSTEIN WAS A THIEF.

http://www.debate.org...
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:03:56 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 4:59:59 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 6:17:56 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

You are presuming that time is infinitely divisible. We don't know that this is the case. Likewise, Zeno presumed that space was infinitely divisible, leading to his paradox of motion. Motion clearly exists, so clearly his paradox is invalid. Yours, having the same form, is also invalid. We needn't speculate why, as the evidence at hand is sufficient to show that it is wrong.

You are wrong.

Time MUST be infinitely divisible. How? Why? Let me show you.

For now -

Let us assume that the smallest unit of time is one minute.

Now, one minute HAS TO PASS FOR IT TO BE KNOWN AS TIME.

IT IS DURATION.

IF ONE MINUTE JUST HAPPENS, it is not time.

One minute has to PASS.

LIKEWISE, ONE SECOND HAS TO PASS.

SIMPLY PUT, ONE MINUTE HAS TO TAKE TIME FOR IT TO BE CALLED ONE MINUTE.

TIME IS NOTHING. WHAT YOU SEE IS RELATIVE MOTION ALL AROUND YOU.

A DURATION CAN ALWAYS BE DIVIDED.

I CHOSE 'TIME' FOR A REASON.

EINSTEIN WAS A THIEF.

http://www.debate.org...

Problems:

1. You've chosen durations of time which we already know are divisible. Showing that some durations of time are divisible doesn't demonstrate that all durations of time are divisible.
2. You are contradicting yourself. You were trying to use the divisibility of time to show that time cannot flow, but then use the flow of time to show that time is invisible. Can't have it both ways.
3. Even if time is infinitely divisible, you did not address my second criticism being that, regardless, time flows, ergo any argument that concludes that time does not flow is necessarily invalid in some way.
4. Caps.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 4:16:53 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/29/2016 5:03:56 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 7/29/2016 4:59:59 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/26/2016 6:17:56 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:46:20 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
To start with, 2 seconds don't exist simultaneously.

One second is succeeded by another one .

Time flows in one direction.

Now, two milliseconds don't exist at the same time.

One millisecond is succeeded by another.

This way, the smallest unit of time is succeeded by time itself.

At one point, how small the unit of time can be to be succeeded.

There is no limit how small the unit of time can be.

Time can be infinitely small.

How can the time flow, how can a moment pass by?

How can time exist?

You are presuming that time is infinitely divisible. We don't know that this is the case. Likewise, Zeno presumed that space was infinitely divisible, leading to his paradox of motion. Motion clearly exists, so clearly his paradox is invalid. Yours, having the same form, is also invalid. We needn't speculate why, as the evidence at hand is sufficient to show that it is wrong.

You are wrong.

Time MUST be infinitely divisible. How? Why? Let me show you.

For now -

Let us assume that the smallest unit of time is one minute.

Now, one minute HAS TO PASS FOR IT TO BE KNOWN AS TIME.

IT IS DURATION.

IF ONE MINUTE JUST HAPPENS, it is not time.

One minute has to PASS.

LIKEWISE, ONE SECOND HAS TO PASS.

SIMPLY PUT, ONE MINUTE HAS TO TAKE TIME FOR IT TO BE CALLED ONE MINUTE.

TIME IS NOTHING. WHAT YOU SEE IS RELATIVE MOTION ALL AROUND YOU.

A DURATION CAN ALWAYS BE DIVIDED.

I CHOSE 'TIME' FOR A REASON.

EINSTEIN WAS A THIEF.

http://www.debate.org...

Problems:

1. You've chosen durations of time which we already know are divisible. Showing that some durations of time are divisible doesn't demonstrate that all durations of time are divisible.

If the so called smallest unit of time takes some time to happen, it is divisible.

2. You are contradicting yourself. You were trying to use the divisibility of time to show that time cannot flow, but then use the flow of time to show that time is invisible. Can't have it both ways.

You know both my points are valid. Time is contradicting itself. If contradiction makes something invalid, you don't need to make an exception for time.

3. Even if time is infinitely divisible, you did not address my second criticism being at, regardless, time flows, ergo any argument that concludes that time does not flow is necessarily invalid in some way.

This brings to my third and most important point. *will be posted soon*

4. Caps.

Glasses.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
keithprosser
Posts: 2,039
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:01:21 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I think all the stuff about dividing time up isn't even necessary. It doesn't matter how big or small chunk of time you consider, how time flows or what makes it flow or whether it flows at all is just as mysterious.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:56:10 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/30/2016 4:16:53 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

Problems:

1. You've chosen durations of time which we already know are divisible. Showing that some durations of time are divisible doesn't demonstrate that all durations of time are divisible.

If the so called smallest unit of time takes some time to happen, it is divisible.

We don't know that.

2. You are contradicting yourself. You were trying to use the divisibility of time to show that time cannot flow, but then use the flow of time to show that time is invisible. Can't have it both ways.

You know both my points are valid. Time is contradicting itself. If contradiction makes something invalid, you don't need to make an exception for time.

This is gibberish.

3. Even if time is infinitely divisible, you did not address my second criticism being at, regardless, time flows, ergo any argument that concludes that time does not flow is necessarily invalid in some way.

This brings to my third and most important point. *will be posted soon*

4. Caps.

Glasses.