Jump to topic:

Y-chromosomal Adam

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:56:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
have you ever heard of it? https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I think creationists can make use of it howsome. and as far as I know of it, it seems to support their case.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 1:47:41 AM
At 8/3/2016 7:56:27 PM, Artur wrote:

I think creationists can make use of it howsome. and as far as I know of it, it seems to support their case.

Strange, I didn't see God mentioned in this article even once. No mention of talking snakes. No missing ribs in males either. Lol.

What I did see was the possible 1-4% of Neanderthal-derived DNA in the Eurasian genome. Creationists will have a hard time explaining that I suspect (along with a thousand other mere "details").
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 1:35:19 AM

How does this support creationism? Y-Adam lived 84,000 years after mitochondrial Eve, so it's not like this can support the Adam/Eve story. It's just the most recent male ancestor, not the first one.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:08:59 AM

The way the Y-Chromosome Adam was found was by taking the number of mutation differences between men on the Y chromsome. We know the mutation rate so we can compute how many years of mutation on the Y chromosome it would have taken to reach the last father common ancestor. It is estimated that the Y-Chromosome Adam lived 150,000 to 600,000 years ago (before 300,000 is most likely) and there is lots of disagreement about the date.

We find the oldest humans about 200,000 years ago so the Y-Chromosome Adam was either one of the first humans or similar to modern humans. The Y-Chromosome Adam is the last male common ancestor of all humans, the first common ancestor of all humans was the common ancestor of all life. The father of "Adam" is also a common ancestor but wasn't the last one and we have a large line of common ancestors reaching back from the first life to "Adam."

Adam lived with other hominids and produced children who mated with other hominids mixing their genes. But for some reason of another eventually the lineages of the other hominids died off and only that of "Adam" remained.

Humans left Africa about 60,000 years ago but before that the about 70,000 MYA the Volcano Toba blew killing most of the humans. It is estimated that at one point only 2,000 survived. This eruption was so big we can see its ash in the fossil record all over Africa and Asia. Because of the size of the mountain and the amount of ash it would have dimmed the sunlight for six years which would have been absolutely destructive. We were also going through an ice age making Africa almost uninhabitable for humans.

There is far less genetic diversity among modern humans than other animals and the best explanation is that at one point there was a genetic bottleneck with only a few humans and from out small genetic diversity is where that 2,000 estimate comes from.

This bottleneck can explain why the descendents of the other hominids who lived with the Genetic Adam died off. Maybe his family moved off somewhere and formed a tribe and their descendants were the main survivors of the blast.

Or you can believe a creation myth claiming that the first man was created from dirt and that woman was created from his rib and got kicked out for eating magic fruit when they were tempted by a talking snake.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:12:27 AM
At 8/7/2016 7:08:59 AM, distraff wrote:

The way the Y-Chromosome Adam was found was by taking the number of mutation differences between men on the Y chromsome. We know the mutation rate so we can compute how many years of mutation on the Y chromosome it would have taken to reach the last father common ancestor. It is estimated that the Y-Chromosome Adam lived 150,000 to 600,000 years ago (before 300,000 is most likely) and there is lots of disagreement about the date.

We find the oldest humans about 200,000 years ago so the Y-Chromosome Adam was either one of the first humans or similar to modern humans. The Y-Chromosome Adam is the last male common ancestor of all humans, the first common ancestor of all humans was the common ancestor of all life. The father of "Adam" is also a common ancestor but wasn't the last one and we have a large line of common ancestors reaching back from the first life to "Adam."

Adam lived with other hominids and produced children who mated with other hominids mixing their genes. But for some reason of another eventually the lineages of the other hominids died off and only that of "Adam" remained.

Humans left Africa about 60,000 years ago but before that the about 70,000 MYA the Volcano Toba blew killing most of the humans. It is estimated that at one point only 2,000 survived. This eruption was so big we can see its ash in the fossil record all over Africa and Asia. Because of the size of the mountain and the amount of ash it would have dimmed the sunlight for six years which would have been absolutely destructive. We were also going through an ice age making Africa almost uninhabitable for humans.

There is far less genetic diversity among modern humans than other animals and the best explanation is that at one point there was a genetic bottleneck with only a few humans and from out small genetic diversity is where that 2,000 estimate comes from.

This bottleneck can explain why the descendents of the other hominids who lived with the Genetic Adam died off. Maybe his family moved off somewhere and formed a tribe and their descendants were the main survivors of the blast.

Or you can believe a creation myth claiming that the first man was created from dirt and that woman was created from his rib and got kicked out for eating magic fruit when they were tempted by a talking snake.

Or if the genetic Adam lived 600,000 years ago he might have been someone with a great mutation for higher intelligence and so his children survived so well that they eventually took over the gene pool. They did interbreed with other humans who may not have come from the same lineage the genes of other humans did passed on as well.

So I think the genetic Adam fits creationism if you are ok with Adam and Eve hanging out in the Garden of Eden for a few hundred thousand years. It also fits evolution too.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 3:44:39 PM
At 8/4/2016 1:47:41 AM, dee-em wrote:

Strange, I didn't see God mentioned in this article even once. No mention of talking snakes. No missing ribs in males either. Lol.
D
What I did see was the possible 1-4% of Neanderthal-derived DNA in the Eurasian genome. Creationists will have a hard time explaining that I suspect (along with a thousand other mere "details").
they can make use of it howsome, like "look if we all have same ancestor, it was the man whom God created and that is Adam. if evolution was true, a pack of X animal would have evolved, not only a single one, and we would not have had the same male as pur ancestor"

I know it will be hard but they can do it, I trust on them.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 12:55:08 AM
At 8/7/2016 3:44:39 PM, Artur wrote:

D
they can make use of it howsome, like "look if we all have same ancestor, it was the man whom God created and that is Adam. if evolution was true, a pack of X animal would have evolved, not only a single one, and we would not have had the same male as pur ancestor"

I know it will be hard but they can do it, I trust on them.

Well guess what according to evolution we have a common ancestor too. So discovering we have a common ancestor really doesn't help creationism at all.
xXKorvexiusXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:18:35 AM
Yes, this obviously verifies the Creation account, by scientifically proving, beyond doubt, that all people came from one man.

Some poster here seems to think that Y Chromosome Adam's kids mated with other primates, but of course, that's impossible as if such happened, Y Chromosome Adam would not be a thing, the original man, but of course he is.

So yes, the only explanation is God, and any statement otherwise is severely unrealistic. Would this not qualify as scientific evidence for God's existence.
xXKorvexiusXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:20:09 AM
Yes, this obviously verifies the Creation account, by scientifically proving, beyond doubt, that all people came from one man.

Some poster here seems to think that Y Chromosome Adam's kids mated with other primates, but of course, that's impossible as if such happened, Y Chromosome Adam would not be a thing, the original man, but of course he is.

So yes, the only explanation is God, and any statement otherwise is severely unrealistic. Would this not qualify as scientific evidence for God's existence.

Anyways, I would assume Atheism loses its viability now, but they probably won't give in just yet.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 5:49:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

Satan put them there to trick us!
Meh!