Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

A theoretical question

Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 9:40:49 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B?

Is C1's clock synchronized with A1 and B1?

If so the trip started at 10am and ended at 11am for all observers.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 10:20:20 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/18/2016 9:40:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B?

Is C1's clock synchronized with A1 and B1?

If so the trip started at 10am and ended at 11am for all observers.

Yes, all clocks are synchronized

And No.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:53:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/18/2016 10:20:20 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 8/18/2016 9:40:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B?

Is C1's clock synchronized with A1 and B1?

If so the trip started at 10am and ended at 11am for all observers.

Yes, all clocks are synchronized

And No.

Why not.
dee-em
Posts: 6,447
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 6:16:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
B1 would not see A1 start his journey until 10.30am (since the image would take 0.5 hours to reach him). A1 would take an hour to make the journey so he would arrive at B at exactly 11am (ignoring relativistic effects). Therefore, from B1's persective, the journey took 0.5 hours.

It's not that simple though. If B1 is aware of the speed of light then he could adjust the departure time to have been 10am compensating for the time it took for the image of the car embarking on its journey to reach him. Therefore, if B1 is science literate, then he could work out that the journey took 1 hour.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 6:45:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/19/2016 6:16:49 AM, dee-em wrote:
B1 would not see A1 start his journey until 10.30am (since the image would take 0.5 hours to reach him). A1 would take an hour to make the journey so he would arrive at B at exactly 11am (ignoring relativistic effects). Therefore, from B1's persective, the journey took 0.5 hours.

It's not that simple though. If B1 is aware of the speed of light then he could adjust the departure time to have been 10am compensating for the time it took for the image of the car embarking on its journey to reach him. Therefore, if B1 is science literate, then he could work out that the journey took 1 hour.

Correct. Well done.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 2:43:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.

I can safely say I actually agree with you here.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 10:13:29 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2016 2:43:00 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.

I can safely say I actually agree with you here.

Thanks. So does that mean we don't see reality as it truly is, but rather as it was?
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 12:57:00 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2016 10:13:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 8/22/2016 2:43:00 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.

I can safely say I actually agree with you here.

Thanks. So does that mean we don't see reality as it truly is, but rather as it was?

Yes, because seeing isn't a singular event, rather it's a process that occurs over time, and light traveling is also a process, so, though it's slightly misleading to say, it is true that we see reality as it was, not as it is...you win this round Furyan...
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 9:28:36 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
We are seeing reality as it is, for us. The entire point of relativity of simultaneity is that there is no objective sense in which anyone could say Event A happened before event B so there is no objective sense in which anyone could say we see things how they were.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
keithprosser
Posts: 1,943
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 2:03:09 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Possibly reality is not something we see but something we infer. If you 'see' what I mean you do not 'see what I mean' with your eyes, do you?
picknpull
Posts: 62
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:26:49 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B? : :

For one thing, light only appears to be traveling from one's perspective. That illusion alone has confused most observers, especially those physicists who have spent their whole life studying light. You would have a problem arguing with some physicists who understand that light itself doesn't travel. https://lightspeedzero.wordpress.com...

In order to set up an argument like this, you need to assume that the one you're debating with totally understands the details of your argument. Otherwise, it can be picked apart and not appreciated as a reality from their perspective.

I know for a fact that light is only an illusion that is formed from the processing of invisible waves when experienced by man's created senses. I didn't learn this from physicists. I learned it from the ONE who created light waves with his voice.

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Without invisible waves that form the sensation of light in man's consciousness, man wouldn't be able to observe any object.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:49:12 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2016 10:13:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 8/22/2016 2:43:00 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.

I can safely say I actually agree with you here.

Thanks. So does that mean we don't see reality as it truly is, but rather as it was?

In fact, I believe more accurate would be to say we don't see reality as it is OR was, but we see a personal interpretation (made by our brain) of a past reality.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 11:00:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 6:49:12 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/22/2016 10:13:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 8/22/2016 2:43:00 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 8/19/2016 3:45:41 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Although light travels much faster than 200 miles an hour, it still takes time to reach our eyes. Therefore anything we see has already happened before we see it. The further away the object is, the further back in time we are seeing. When looking in a mirror, you are looking back in time at a fractionally younger you.

I can safely say I actually agree with you here.

Thanks. So does that mean we don't see reality as it truly is, but rather as it was?

In fact, I believe more accurate would be to say we don't see reality as it is OR was, but we see a personal interpretation (made by our brain) of a past reality.

Well put.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 10:35:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/18/2016 11:04:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Imagine a triangle with points A, B and C, each being a hundred miles apart. At each point is a person, let's call them A1, B1 and C1. Now let's imagine light travels at 200 miles per hour. If a car left from A to B at 10am and travels at 100 miles per hour, how long would it's journey seem to last from B1's perspective? And at what time would C1 see the car arrive at B?

Uh oh Physics.

(Hides under table, hugging Biology book while in fetal position)
Meh!