Jump to topic:

Preferences evolve?

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2011 2:04:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think people are attracted to what they need to be to survive, much like any other animal.
People would care about looks because it showed that you were healthy if you looked a certain way. But we evolved (in a way) and now have medical care, which makes most of that irrelevant.
Now what is most focused on is what is needed to survive and succeed in this society.
How people act around others, and desirable traits, sure aesthetics still has to do with it, but not as much and its balanced with how they interact with people.
Do we still have tailbones? Sure. Does aesthetics play a role in who we choose? Sure.
But its not as big as it used to be and its shrinking.

Like someone who is giving and kind is likely to attract a mate because those are traits that give to a healthy society. Selfish and greedy people might still get mates, because it helps smaller populations flourish, or there is something else desirable about that person, maybe they have good work ethic and even though they are selfish it gives more to society than others. Or maybe they are rich, or in a position of power.

That's just a theory I got from thinking about things Mikey said, and its late so idk.

All I know is it got me thinking so I wanted to share with DDO before I forget in case I either realized something kinda cool, or realized something most ppl already know.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2011 7:39:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/7/2011 2:04:27 AM, lovelife wrote:
I think people are attracted to what they need to be to survive, much like any other animal.
People would care about looks because it showed that you were healthy if you looked a certain way.

and, so those who Naturally Happen to be such that they are attracted to those who happen to be most fit... better Displace/Outlive those who are attracted to those who happen to be unfit.

But we evolved (in a way) and now have medical care,
I know you said "in a way"... but this is rather important to your whole post...

We did Not "evolve" medical care..

which makes most of that irrelevant.
Now what is most focused on is what is needed to survive and succeed in this society.

succeeding in society =/= Evolutionary "fitness"

and things which Succeed in Society are not automatically 'selected' for in the processes of evolution as are things which bestow evolutionary fitness.

How people act around others, and desirable traits, sure aesthetics still has to do with it, but not as much and its balanced with how they interact with people.
Do we still have tailbones?

not really very much.

Sure. Does aesthetics play a role in who we choose? Sure.
yes.
But its not as big as it used to be and its shrinking.
maybe.. but so far as physical dispositions go... that "shrinking" would be happening VERY SLOWLY... over many generations

I think that if it's shrinking it's due to social phenomena

Like someone who is giving and kind is likely to attract a mate because those are traits that give to a healthy society. Selfish and greedy people might still get mates, because it helps smaller populations flourish, or there is something else desirable about that person, maybe they have good work ethic and even though they are selfish it gives more to society than others. Or maybe they are rich, or in a position of power.

That's just a theory I got from thinking about things Mikey said, and its late so idk.

All I know is it got me thinking so I wanted to share with DDO before I forget in case I either realized something kinda cool, or realized something most ppl already know.

But yeah, it's always very interesting to think about Evolution.. and how we are... and why we are that way.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."