Possible strong signal from space 95ly away

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 2:38:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
http://www.abc.net.au...

"Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization," Mr Gilster wrote, referring to a scale-system that indicates a civilization far more advanced than our own.

"If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilisation," indicating one closer to Earth's capabilities.

It's interesting that this signal was detected last year but not made public. I wonder if an unambiguous signal were detected whether the general population would be informed at all. It seems SETI may not be as open and transparent as most people assume.
Nottingham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 6:54:58 AM
At 8/30/2016 2:38:52 AM, dee-em wrote:

"Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization," Mr Gilster wrote, referring to a scale-system that indicates a civilization far more advanced than our own.

"If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilisation," indicating one closer to Earth's capabilities.

It's interesting that this signal was detected last year but not made public. I wonder if an unambiguous signal were detected whether the general population would be informed at all. It seems SETI may not be as open and transparent as most people assume. : :

I'm assuming that they're Democrats needing a distraction for Hillary.
Joey888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:21:22 AM
At 8/30/2016 6:54:58 AM, Nottingham wrote:

It's interesting that this signal was detected last year but not made public. I wonder if an unambiguous signal were detected whether the general population would be informed at all. It seems SETI may not be as open and transparent as most people assume. : :

I'm assuming that they're Democrats needing a distraction for Hillary.

That may not be true at all. SETI picks up plenty of signals, and not all of them are radio signals from space. It could be possible that the signal had to be reviewed and confirmed that the signal was actually sent from space and not just another random radio signal.
Joseph
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 4:22:17 PM
This is rather dumb, there's no indication of any kind that this is a "signal."
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 9:05:39 PM

It's interesting that this signal was detected last year but not made public. I wonder if an unambiguous signal were detected whether the general population would be informed at all. It seems SETI may not be as open and transparent as most people assume.

A lot of people would panic is alien life were discovered and made public. It is not always a good idea to inform the general public about everything right away.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 10:31:12 PM
At 9/5/2016 5:49:18 PM, keithprosser wrote:
The signal was not very clear so our reply was 'Pardon? All our what are belong to who?'

Haha, very nice!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 11:45:50 PM
At 9/6/2016 9:05:39 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

A lot of people would panic is alien life were discovered and made public. It is not always a good idea to inform the general public about everything right away.

Why panic?

Do you happen to work for a government agency by any chance?
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:51:31 AM
At 9/6/2016 11:45:50 PM, dee-em wrote:

Why panic?
We may not panic over something like other intelligent life. I for one would be extremely happy. Not everyone would see such news the same way.
I'm 16. I don't work for the government. I just see their reasoning in this case. To be honest, I despise the U.S. government. I think it is full to the brim with corruption, and it is broken beyond repair. In this case, though, they are probably doing what is best.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:39:38 AM
At 9/7/2016 12:51:31 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Why panic?

We may not panic over something like other intelligent life. I for one would be extremely happy. Not everyone would see such news the same way.

I don't think there would be any panic over a signal. Direct contact maybe, although we have been conditioned with enough films and TV shows to not overreact I believe. My first reaction would be extreme curiosity tinged with some apprehension. Not panic though.

I'm 16. I don't work for the government. I just see their reasoning in this case. To be honest, I despise the U.S. government. I think it is full to the brim with corruption, and it is broken beyond repair. In this case, though, they are probably doing what is best.

Hmmm. You'll get more cynical as you get older. Relying on others, including the government and the bureaucrats who service it, to know what is best for us is a recipe for disaster. That's how populations are manipulated. You may think it is okay to be kept in the dark and fed on bs, but some of us don't enjoy being treated like mushrooms. :-)
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:18:38 AM
Governments are barely competent. Given their inability in every other field, their supposed ability to keep vast conspiracies hidden - except from a select few tin-foil hatters - is something of a exception to a rule. When they tried being clever over Saddam's alleged WMD, it was a fiasco.

I think conspiracy nuts don't fear that the world is run by a secret cabal of billionaires and film stars - they actually like the idea that the world is being run by somebody, that things happen for a reason rather than things being essentially more like random accidents.

Conspiracy nuts resemble theists in that the crave something that gives the world an ordering principle that they can understand. Also very like theists they have a very unusual attitude to evidence!

From that view, some nut with too much money and a grudge organised 9-11 because he was deranged, not because he was fronting for exxon and haliburton. I am not saying that people do not conspire and carry out grand schemes - they do. But the idea that the world is run by secret cabals who meet in dark rooms where they refer to each other only by numbers is a fantasy concocted by people who would rather that was the case than face the reality of life - i.e. that 'sh!t happens'.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:27:08 AM
At 9/5/2016 8:03:59 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
So what happened to the Kardashev Type I civilization then?

Does everyone from a Kardashev civilization have a n enormous butt?
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 1:27:24 PM
At 9/7/2016 2:39:38 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:51:31 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Why panic?

I don't think there would be any panic over a signal. Direct contact maybe, although we have been conditioned with enough films and TV shows to not overreact I believe. My first reaction would be extreme curiosity tinged with some apprehension. Not panic though.
Again, a lot of people would think very differently. There are some crazy people out there.

Hmmm. You'll get more cynical as you get older. Relying on others, including the government and the bureaucrats who service it, to know what is best for us is a recipe for disaster.
I don't rely on the government to tell me what is best. This is my opinion based on my observations about the world and the people in it.
That's how populations are manipulated. You may think it is okay to be kept in the dark and fed on bs, but some of us don't enjoy being treated like mushrooms. :-)
Again, I despise the government. I do not rely on the government to make my opinions.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:20:38 AM

While technically possible, we shouldn't assume it's from an alien civilization.
Meh!