Jump to topic:

Ninth planet predictions

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 10:30:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Assuming that the ninth planet is discovered, what sort of features do you predict there could be? Obviously it would probably be an ice giant, but other than that, I'm not sure.

(It would be cool if in like a years time it's discovered and then someone bumps this!)
Meh!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 1:56:09 PM
At 8/30/2016 10:30:48 AM, Axonly wrote:
Assuming that the ninth planet is discovered, what sort of features do you predict there could be? Obviously it would probably be an ice giant, but other than that, I'm not sure.

(It would be cool if in like a years time it's discovered and then someone bumps this!)

10th*
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:21:55 PM
At 8/30/2016 1:56:09 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

10th*

Pluto isn't a planet, I will fight you to the death over this.
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:21:55 PM

10th*

Meh!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:38:33 PM
At 8/30/2016 9:21:55 PM, Axonly wrote:

10th*

Then prepare to die.

http://www.plutoisaplanet.org...
https://i.ytimg.com...
https://img.buzzfeed.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 10:08:56 PM
Pluto was the 'American' planet, being the only one discovered by an American. For that political/sentimental reason, I was a little surprised when Pluto was demoted in 2006 but I suppose it had to be done otherwise future observations are going to throw up hundreds if not thousands of 'planets' orbiting the sun in the Kuiper belt.

But old habits die hard - I have to consciously remind myself there are 8 planets not 9. That may be an age thing.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 10:15:41 PM
Postscript - I have no doubt that if Pluto had been discovered by a Frenchman it would still be a planet. The French always want their way and throw fits if they don't get it , which is why it was 'Concorde' nor 'Concord'. Pathetique, n'est pas?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:23:37 AM
At 8/30/2016 9:38:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/30/2016 9:21:55 PM, Axonly wrote:

10th*

Then prepare to die.

http://www.plutoisaplanet.org...
https://i.ytimg.com...
https://img.buzzfeed.com...

It doesn't meet the criteria to be a planet though
Meh!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:20:53 AM
It doesn't fit the AU's most recent definition of a planet, but that definition seems to have been framed purposely to exclude Pluto to some degree. The AU rather ganged up on poor old Pluto.

If a planet is less formally defined as 'a body orbiting the sun' then Pluto is a planet, the problem being that you will end up with hundreds of tiny rocks and even all the individual asteroids being planets - how many planets would there be then?

The AU decided on a cut off point an pood old Pluto didn't make it. I expect Plutonian astonomers took reciprocal action and defined a planet as "anything orbiting the sun unless its between Mars and Venus" in revenge.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:06:21 AM

If it hasn't been discovered by now then it can't be perturbing the orbits of any of the other planets to any measurable degree. That makes the existence of a ninth planet problematical. If it is there, it is either too small to be classed as a planet or it has an orbit way out near the limits of the solar system making it largely irrelevant.

My prediction is that if a ninth planet does turn up then it will be small and rocky, having been pushed out from the inner system by a close encounter with one of the gas giants. I find it difficult to believe that there could be anything big out there still undetected with the instrumentation we have today.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:37:28 AM
I think that's rigtht. The AU definition pretty much rules out any more 'Planets' because anything that would pass their criteria couldn't hide from automated 200" telescopes etc. for long. Other 'oribiting bodies' with names (or least numbers) are already in the 10's f thousand.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:30:45 PM
Then again I could be wrong:

http://www.abc.net.au...

Our solar system may have a ninth planet about 10 times the mass of Earth far out beyond Neptune, astronomers say.

Although the planet, dubbed Planet Nine, has not been directly observed, computer simulations of the orbits of several distant objects beyond Neptune indicate it exists, scientists from the California Institute of Technology said.

If it exists, it's orbit is 20 times further out than Neptune, so I was at least right to suggest that it would be at the limits of the solar system. Too far to be relevant to any near future space exploration.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:19:20 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I note on the page linked above there is a story about a planet a trillion km from its star - I make that 100x the distance from the sun to pluto so there seems no limit to how far out a planet can be from the centre.

I think we can predict any planet yet to be discovered must be a long, long way from the sun, probably a gas giant (small rocks will not count as a planet to the AU) and on the cold side. I also predict it will be called either 'Kylie' or 'Dwane'.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 5:01:56 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/31/2016 11:37:28 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I think that's rigtht. The AU definition pretty much rules out any more 'Planets' because anything that would pass their criteria couldn't hide from automated 200" telescopes etc. for long. Other 'oribiting bodies' with names (or least numbers) are already in the 10's f thousand.

At that far away it could be very difficult to find. That's a lot of cubic miles to cover!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.