Jump to topic:

Arid Grass Fairy Circles!

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:32:35 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'm ashamed to say I only just found out about these neat features.

These fairy circles are simply just completely grass-free circles that occur in the middle of Arid Grasslands (These are found in Africa and Australia), and are usually a couple of meters in diameter. There is some debate over what causes these, but the most likely candidate is sand termites. It was found that in 100% of new fairy circles, sand termites were found. They appear to clear away vegetation from a small circle, this allows water to accumulate in a layer underground, so the water is always moist. Additionally, the accumulated water promotes grass growth at the edge of the circle, which the termites can then feed on (Further expanding the circle).

This is actually so cool, I was tempted to type this whole thing in caps lock.
Meh!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:10:21 AM
The BBC says it's not termites.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...

I'd say they're almost certainly the marks from flying saucers landing and taking off.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:22:41 AM
At 9/3/2016 10:10:21 AM, keithprosser wrote:
The BBC says it's not termites.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...

I'd say they're almost certainly the marks from flying saucers landing and taking off.

That's old news, termites are the most promising reason
Meh!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:21:16 PM
At 9/3/2016 8:32:35 AM, Axonly wrote:
I'm ashamed to say I only just found out about these neat features.

These fairy circles are simply just completely grass-free circles that occur in the middle of Arid Grasslands (These are found in Africa and Australia), and are usually a couple of meters in diameter. There is some debate over what causes these, but the most likely candidate is sand termites. It was found that in 100% of new fairy circles, sand termites were found. They appear to clear away vegetation from a small circle, this allows water to accumulate in a layer underground, so the water is always moist. Additionally, the accumulated water promotes grass growth at the edge of the circle, which the termites can then feed on (Further expanding the circle).

This is actually so cool, I was tempted to type this whole thing in caps lock.

The water is always moist? Those sciency blokes are so durn clever!