Jump to topic:

Veganism Caused Cave Bear Extinction

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:30:51 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Cave bears are an extinct type of bear that died out about 25,000 years ago, they're called cave bears as they would use caves for hibernation, and a lot of their bones are found in caves. Scientists recently analyzed the collagen in their bones, and found that they had an entirely vegan diet. This is suspected to be a main reason for their extinction, since the ice age that was occurring around that time would have substantially reduced the amount of vegetation available (Other factors such as human hunting and changing temperatures probably influenced their extinction as well).
Meh!
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:11:08 PM
At 9/3/2016 11:30:51 AM, Axonly wrote:
Cave bears are an extinct type of bear that died out about 25,000 years ago, they're called cave bears as they would use caves for hibernation, and a lot of their bones are found in caves. Scientists recently analyzed the collagen in their bones, and found that they had an entirely vegan diet. This is suspected to be a main reason for their extinction, since the ice age that was occurring around that time would have substantially reduced the amount of vegetation available (Other factors such as human hunting and changing temperatures probably influenced their extinction as well).

Interesting post, Ax. I know absolute zero re cave bears, but today's brown and black bears try to eat very high protein and fat rich diets to put on enough weight to last over hibernation. I can't see how a vegetarian diet would enable a cave bear to put on sufficient stocks of fat to survive a long hibernation.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:40:30 PM
At 9/3/2016 1:11:08 PM, desmac wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:30:51 AM, Axonly wrote:

Interesting post, Ax. I know absolute zero re cave bears, but today's brown and black bears try to eat very high protein and fat rich diets to put on enough weight to last over hibernation. I can't see how a vegetarian diet would enable a cave bear to put on sufficient stocks of fat to survive a long hibernation.

If I'm not mistaken, they were actually larger than bears we have today, so it would have been difficult to maintain that much biomass
Meh!
Kyleconn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:59:56 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Whoa!
Didn't really know about cave bears. Are there any exclusive images to show how they must've looked?
Were they like the normal bears or had a different structure? How big were they?

I'm wondering they could've been like how the mammoths are to the present day elephants.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:01:47 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/5/2016 9:59:56 AM, Kyleconn wrote:
Whoa!
Didn't really know about cave bears. Are there any exclusive images to show how they must've looked?
Were they like the normal bears or had a different structure? How big were they?

I'm wondering they could've been like how the mammoths are to the present day elephants.

Apparently they were similar in size to the largest bears we currently have, with male bears weighing between 400-500Kg (http://www.sekj.org...)
Meh!