Total Posts:158|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Regarding flat earth/conspiracy threads

Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them
Meh!
v3nesl
Posts: 4,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 3:25:31 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.


Eh, I don't think we have very many legitimate science threads, other than the ongoing evolution/creation debates. And that's actually as it should be - science is (or should be!) about experimentally verified things, not opinion. So you have debate where the scientific method is lacking, subjects like global warming or evolution. We may talk about real science, but there's not a lot to debate.

So enjoy the freak show, is my advice. Flat earth is a kind of interesting exercise in how things are legitimately settled by good science.
This space for rent.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 3:53:21 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 3:25:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.


Eh, I don't think we have very many legitimate science threads, other than the ongoing evolution/creation debates.

Sorry, but the flat earth threads are no different from the evolution/creation threads, both have believers that make irrational claims without understanding the science.

And that's actually as it should be - science is (or should be!) about experimentally verified things, not opinion. So you have debate where the scientific method is lacking, subjects like global warming or evolution. We may talk about real science, but there's not a lot to debate.

So enjoy the freak show, is my advice. Flat earth is a kind of interesting exercise in how things are legitimately settled by good science.

As was evolution, legitimately settled by good science.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
v3nesl
Posts: 4,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:03:13 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 3:53:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/6/2016 3:25:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.


Eh, I don't think we have very many legitimate science threads, other than the ongoing evolution/creation debates.

Sorry, but the flat earth threads are no different from the evolution/creation threads, both have believers that make irrational claims without understanding the science.


There's a very notable difference: In flat earth threads, participants are able to provide evidence for a spherical earth. In evo threads, you get almost exclusively 'appeal to authority'.


So enjoy the freak show, is my advice. Flat earth is a kind of interesting exercise in how things are legitimately settled by good science.

As was evolution, legitimately settled by good science.

And there you go, a perfect example - you simply claim it's settled. Which is a legitimate approach in this context of course, but if I press you on the "good science" you will not be able to provide evidence specific to evolution, you will do nothing more than tell me to get educated. (And I don't really want to start another evo debate with someone who just appeals to authority)
This space for rent.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:11:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:03:13 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 3:53:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/6/2016 3:25:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.


Eh, I don't think we have very many legitimate science threads, other than the ongoing evolution/creation debates.

Sorry, but the flat earth threads are no different from the evolution/creation threads, both have believers that make irrational claims without understanding the science.


There's a very notable difference: In flat earth threads, participants are able to provide evidence for a spherical earth. In evo threads, you get almost exclusively 'appeal to authority'.

Then, that would not make them legitimate science threads, as you claimed.


So enjoy the freak show, is my advice. Flat earth is a kind of interesting exercise in how things are legitimately settled by good science.

As was evolution, legitimately settled by good science.

And there you go, a perfect example - you simply claim it's settled. Which is a legitimate approach in this context of course, but if I press you on the "good science" you will not be able to provide evidence specific to evolution, you will do nothing more than tell me to get educated.

You have made it sparkling crystal clear you don't understand evolution, you do need to educate yourself.

Evidence specific to evolution is in great abundance to those who wish to understand it, you don't wish to understand it, so you won't bother looking.

(And I don't really want to start another evo debate with someone who just appeals to authority)

Then, by your own words, the evo threads are equivalent to flat earth threads.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
v3nesl
Posts: 4,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:19:14 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:11:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:03:13 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 3:53:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/6/2016 3:25:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.


Eh, I don't think we have very many legitimate science threads, other than the ongoing evolution/creation debates.

Sorry, but the flat earth threads are no different from the evolution/creation threads, both have believers that make irrational claims without understanding the science.


There's a very notable difference: In flat earth threads, participants are able to provide evidence for a spherical earth. In evo threads, you get almost exclusively 'appeal to authority'.

Then, that would not make them legitimate science threads, as you claimed.


Hey, not bad, some logic from you! Just sophistry logic, but logic nonetheless.
This space for rent.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:27:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

For me, I actually feel like they're more productive; forget the flat earth guy, he's just a dishonest idiot; but it allows the rest of us to discuss things like optics, trigonometry, and applying geometry models to real world scenarios, and think logically about particular ways of testing things; and the great thing is that flat earth is so accessibly wrong, that any one of us can actually come up with interesting and novel new ways we can show it's wrong; and making people think about geometry, trigonometry and mapping between the model world and observation, isn't a bad thing, even though the OP is a couple of babe ruths short of a Goonies character.

It'll run it's course soon enough.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,669
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:53:23 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Indeed. :)
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 5:03:41 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:53:23 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Indeed. :)

But on a serious note, I engage in genuine scientific discussion fairly often here; and when I do, it's for several reasons all of which I feel are mostly constructive:

a.) To expose myself to alternative points of view and to try and understand, it's detail and it's entirety both the faults with my own argument, but only claim that someones argument is wrong if I have a fully described logical and empirical reason to do so, which I've found is the only way to really refine and improve your own understanding.

b.) I rarely engage with the really crazy sounding people, such as Evidence; because it is clear to all outsiders that they're nutjobs. It is the people who present an argument that "appears" compelling that I engage with, not to change their mind (though I hold out hope that behind the scenes, the questions I ask may have a longer term effect), but to present a devastating argument, from first principles for any lurker, outsider or intellectually honest, but not necessarily knowledgable individual who may have been otherwise compelled or susceptible points of view.

c.) If I can't justify my opinions, logically and succinctly, and show that people with a diametrically opposed position are making rudimentary errors in logic if not outright intellectual dishonesty, then I have no right to hold or espouse that opinion.

I don't want professional scientists taking their time here; but considering he's going to bump his own thread, and repeat things anyway, the only thing I am adding, is a general, broad humiliation of his point in multiple ways on the grounds of simple, every day explanations.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 9:03:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 5:03:41 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
I don't want professional scientists taking their time here

Just curious, what is your formal background in science?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 9:06:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 9:03:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/6/2016 5:03:41 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
I don't want professional scientists taking their time here

Just curious, what is your formal background in science?

I dabble.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:18:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Oh awesome, have you tried making a spectroscope?
Meh!
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:21:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 12:18:17 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Oh awesome, have you tried making a spectroscope?

That's my next project! It's too windy here for outdoor experiments right now unfortunately. I need a prism or mirror for that one though; slightly tricky as I'm in the process of getting ready to move countries :P
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:24:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 12:21:14 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:18:17 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Oh awesome, have you tried making a spectroscope?

That's my next project! It's too windy here for outdoor experiments right now unfortunately. I need a prism or mirror for that one though; slightly tricky as I'm in the process of getting ready to move countries :P

You can actually use a piece of CD for that bit if you're cheap (Like me).
Meh!
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:26:43 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 12:24:22 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:21:14 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:18:17 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:51:38 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:37:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Though that may be true, the conversations are still worthwhile, in my opinion. The conspiracy theorists prompt the more educated members of this forum to provide stronger and more thorough explanations. Although the arguments and whatnot from the OP are dismissible, the rest of the info is definitely worth it. For instance, Ram's 'schooling' of Edlvsjd is awesome and useful to read.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

I see where you're coming from on this matter, but I think their benefit outweighs this detriment. Such topics could possibly draw interest more than advanced scientific topics that are beyond the grasp of ordinary internet forum-goers.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Sure.

I made my first ever pinhole camera. That should be a win right there.

Until it's rapid uncontrolled disassembly due to high winds prevented me taking more pictures.

Oh awesome, have you tried making a spectroscope?

That's my next project! It's too windy here for outdoor experiments right now unfortunately. I need a prism or mirror for that one though; slightly tricky as I'm in the process of getting ready to move countries :P

You can actually use a piece of CD for that bit if you're cheap (Like me).

That's good to know; need to see if I have one here!
Edlvsjd
Posts: 1,584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 4:28:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Wow I found all the, for lack of a better word, puthies in one thread. You call yourself scientists. Then follow the scientific method. Scared of what "newcomers" will think if we even discuss the possibility of a flat earth. You should all be ashamed. Guess what, were not going away. We're only multiplying. You all have lost rational thought. You dismiss a scientific theory, but you have not properly researched it. You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over. Your basic senses tell you that the world is flat, and that you are stable. The burden of proof is shifting boys, critical thinking is making a comeback, get Google, get the "scientific community", prove that ball.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com...
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 5:08:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 4:28:24 AM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Wow I found all the, for lack of a better word, puthies in one thread. You call yourself scientists. Then follow the scientific method. Scared of what "newcomers" will think if we even discuss the possibility of a flat earth. You should all be ashamed. Guess what, were not going away. We're only multiplying. You all have lost rational thought. You dismiss a scientific theory, but you have not properly researched it. You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over. Your basic senses tell you that the world is flat, and that you are stable. The burden of proof is shifting boys, critical thinking is making a comeback, get Google, get the "scientific community", prove that ball.

Pipe down laddo. Grown ups are speaking.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 5:37:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 5:08:17 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 4:28:24 AM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Wow I found all the, for lack of a better word, puthies in one thread. You call yourself scientists. Then follow the scientific method. Scared of what "newcomers" will think if we even discuss the possibility of a flat earth. You should all be ashamed. Guess what, were not going away. We're only multiplying. You all have lost rational thought. You dismiss a scientific theory, but you have not properly researched it. You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over. Your basic senses tell you that the world is flat, and that you are stable. The burden of proof is shifting boys, critical thinking is making a comeback, get Google, get the "scientific community", prove that ball.

Pipe down laddo. Grown ups are speaking.

"They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them "

Hey, since I created this thread, could you please not engage with him? I would rather not let him have any power here.
Meh!
Edlvsjd
Posts: 1,584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 5:48:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 5:37:49 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/7/2016 5:08:17 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 4:28:24 AM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Wow I found all the, for lack of a better word, puthies in one thread. You call yourself scientists. Then follow the scientific method. Scared of what "newcomers" will think if we even discuss the possibility of a flat earth. You should all be ashamed. Guess what, were not going away. We're only multiplying. You all have lost rational thought. You dismiss a scientific theory, but you have not properly researched it. You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over. Your basic senses tell you that the world is flat, and that you are stable. The burden of proof is shifting boys, critical thinking is making a comeback, get Google, get the "scientific community", prove that ball.

Pipe down laddo. Grown ups are speaking.

"They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them "

Hey, since I created this thread, could you please not engage with him? I would rather not let him have any power here.

You'll be ignoring a majority soon enough.
https://www.google.com...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com...
Capo
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory? Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:24:28 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 5:48:13 AM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/7/2016 5:37:49 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/7/2016 5:08:17 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 4:28:24 AM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them

Wow I found all the, for lack of a better word, puthies in one thread. You call yourself scientists. Then follow the scientific method. Scared of what "newcomers" will think if we even discuss the possibility of a flat earth. You should all be ashamed. Guess what, were not going away. We're only multiplying. You all have lost rational thought. You dismiss a scientific theory, but you have not properly researched it. You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over. Your basic senses tell you that the world is flat, and that you are stable. The burden of proof is shifting boys, critical thinking is making a comeback, get Google, get the "scientific community", prove that ball.

Pipe down laddo. Grown ups are speaking.

"They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them "

Hey, since I created this thread, could you please not engage with him? I would rather not let him have any power here.

You'll be ignoring a majority soon enough.
https://www.google.com...

The day it becomes a majority (and it won't, people aren't that stupid), is the day science dies; but you're just a kid, so what you say here has little meaning.
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:30:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM, Capo wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory?
The evidence.
Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.

The thing is, it's still happening; so even if you first premise was correct ("You can't know that something had happened unless you were there", and it isn't), you'd still be wrong. Fact remains, the big bang is still happening now; hence, even according to your broken creatard logic, it IS observable. Here, read these: https://en.wikipedia.org... https://en.wikipedia.org...

This should be evidence enough.
Capo
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 12:42:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 12:30:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM, Capo wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory?
The evidence.
Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.

The thing is, it's still happening; so even if you first premise was correct ("You can't know that something had happened unless you were there", and it isn't), you'd still be wrong. Fact remains, the big bang is still happening now; hence, even according to your broken creatard logic, it IS observable. Here, read these: https://en.wikipedia.org... https://en.wikipedia.org...

This should be evidence enough. : :

There is no evidence to support the Big Bang theory. It is wishful thinking by scientists who have made many people believe in it. Now there are a few physicists who are saying the Big Bang theory is incorrect so who are you to believe?

The only way to learn how you're created is to listen to the computing technology that our Creator used to speak a simulation program into existence. This technology will reveal to you that everything we people experience is nothing but the processing of information. What scientists and all other people are experiencing is an illusion being formed in their consciousness that is not real.

If you don't believe that we're living in a simulation program, then you will die without ever knowing how you're created.
Edlvsjd
Posts: 1,584
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 1:26:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM, Capo wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

If there were evidence of a spherical earth, i wouldn't be here now.

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory? Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com...
Tritip
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 1:43:39 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 1:26:47 PM, Edlvsjd wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM, Capo wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

If there were evidence of a spherical earth, i wouldn't be here now.

It's impossible to show proof that the earth is a globe because no man can see the whole Earth at the same time. If man could observe the Earth from the moon, all he would see is a round disc. Even if the Earth could be observed as rotating in one direction, that still isn't enough proof that the Earth is a globe.

I teach people that man cannot observe things in 3 dimensions. We can only observe an object in 2 dimensions, vertical and horizontal. We cannot observe the dimensions between the objects that are in front of or behind the object we measure from. We can only measure the objects from side to side or above and below it. The only way to measure the other dimensions is to move our perspective. So the illusion of motion is the only way we know we're living in a 3 dimensional world.

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory? Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:04:10 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 12:42:29 PM, Capo wrote:
At 9/7/2016 12:30:08 PM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 9/7/2016 7:50:56 AM, Capo wrote:
At 9/6/2016 2:55:24 PM, Axonly wrote:
So, most of the science forum regulars will know that we regularly get plagued by flat earth/conspiracy theory threads. I just want to point out that there is no point in interacting with these people. No matter what you say, they will not be convinced, no amount of evidence can change their minds. They abandoned rational thought long ago.

Replying to these threads will only bump them up and keep them at the top of this lovely forum. This gives our forum a bad image for any newcomers, and more importantly, it reduces the number of legitimate science threads we have on the front page.

So please, let their threads sink off the front page unnoticed.

They will probably reply to this thread, if they do, please ignore them : :

Is it because you don't have any evidence to prove the flat earth believers are wrong?

What makes people believe in the "Big Bang" theory?
The evidence.
Is it because many scientists believe in that same theory? None of them have any evidence to support their theories because none of them were around to see it happen.

The thing is, it's still happening; so even if you first premise was correct ("You can't know that something had happened unless you were there", and it isn't), you'd still be wrong. Fact remains, the big bang is still happening now; hence, even according to your broken creatard logic, it IS observable. Here, read these: https://en.wikipedia.org... https://en.wikipedia.org...

This should be evidence enough. : :

There is no evidence to support the Big Bang theory.
I just presented the evidence; if you want to reject it, you have to give a good basis for doing so.
It is wishful thinking by scientists who have made many people believe in it. Now there are a few physicists who are saying the Big Bang theory is incorrect so who are you to believe?

A physicist.
The only way to learn how you're created is to listen to the computing technology that our Creator used to speak a simulation program into existence. This technology will reveal to you that everything we people experience is nothing but the processing of information. What scientists and all other people are experiencing is an illusion being formed in their consciousness that is not real.

If you don't believe that we're living in a simulation program, then you will die without ever knowing how you're created.

While to a certain degree, plausible, this hypothesis has no evidence promoting it above the alternatives; so whilst I do not fully reject the "programmer" hypothesis, I do treat it with skepticism until presented with the sufficient evidence. Nonetheless, the big bang theory most definitely happened; whether or not there is a god.
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 2:05:38 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 1:26:47 PM, Edlvsjd wrote:

If there were evidence of a spherical earth, i wouldn't be here now.

Liar.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 4:12:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 1:26:47 PM, Edlvsjd wrote:

If there were evidence of a spherical earth, i wouldn't be here now.

The reason you are here is to assert the evidence has all be faked so you can further assert your bronze age biblical beliefs of a flat earth contained in a firmament.

You ridicule because you are taught so. I have easily proved the world flat, ten times over.

Oh yes, and you've managed to convince another religious nutjob like yourself, that much you've proven.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth