Jump to topic:

The issue with species conservation

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 9:14:01 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
We always just end up focusing on cuter or more magnificent creatures such as Pandas and Whales (Which is good!), but we rarely ever focus on less loved creatures such as the Azores spider (https://www.sciencedaily.com...) .

Do you think its worth saving these less popular creatures (If you say no to saving spiders, I will frown at you).
Meh!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 10:24:53 AM
Larger, more complex animals depend on smaller creatures to survive.

Science and democracy don't mix very well, unfortunately...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
IamamI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 11:07:40 AM
At 9/9/2016 9:14:01 AM, Axonly wrote:
We always just end up focusing on cuter or more magnificent creatures such as Pandas and Whales (Which is good!), but we rarely ever focus on less loved creatures such as the Azores spider (https://www.sciencedaily.com...) .

Do you think its worth saving these less popular creatures (If you say no to saving spiders, I will frown at you). : :

I enjoy all the various illusions formed in my mind as I observe them knowing exactly how they were all created.
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:21:03 AM

Do you think its worth saving these less popular creatures (If you say no to saving spiders, I will frown at you).

I believe conservation of all species is important for the scientific value, even if only a small number in containment (as in the case of infectious diseases). I've also heard it said that from a survival of the fittest point of view the panda in particular is not very fit for survival but I believe we should keep a genetic pool in captivity large enough to prevent its extinction for future generations though.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 10:59:06 AM
Conservation has to be holistic. You can't save the panda without saving the bamboo forest it depends on, and that forest is a complex ecosystem of hundreds of interdependent species.

The wonder of nature is the complicated web of life, not it's superstars like psndas and whales. I'd sacrifice the panda and even the blue whale if doing so would help preserve a richer and more diverse ecosystem. Don't get that wrong - I'd hate to see pandas or whales go extinct, but if we destroyh the ecosystems that supports them having a few breeding pairs in zoos or aquaria is just hypocrisy.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 6:52:28 AM
At 9/12/2016 8:21:03 AM, zaarbuc wrote:

I believe conservation of all species is important for the scientific value, even if only a small number in containment (as in the case of infectious diseases). I've also heard it said that from a survival of the fittest point of view the panda in particular is not very fit for survival but I believe we should keep a genetic pool in captivity large enough to prevent its extinction for future generations though.

Pandas will most likely have trouble with genetic variation (Can make them less robust against evolutionary pressures)
Meh!