Jump to topic:

Characteristics of Life

crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2009 6:54:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think the the characteristics of Life need to be changed. I've started a debate on it and I want to think what others think about them.

Also, is a virus living?

Characeristics fo life:

Living things are made of cells.

Living things obtain and use energy.

Living things grow and develop.

Living things reproduce.

Living things respond to their environment.

Living things adapt to their environment
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2009 7:15:24 PM
As my biology teacher once put it, I think (kinda fuzzy, it was a few years ago...) If you find a big fat green-skinned 30 year old bachelor all alone on Mars, he can be clearly alive without there being any evidence whatsoever that it reproduces.

And as I responded, cell reproduction, wtfpwned :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Nail_Bat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:12:01 PM
Good luck, we haven't yet come up with a watertight definition of life, but we have one that works well enough in most cases. The problem has more to do with language itself than with life.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:32:06 PM
Nope virus is not considered alive becuase they cant reproduce on their own.

Just a small thought but if two organisims are considered the same species if they can viably breed together and produce fertile offspring. does that mean that people with downs syndrome are technically a different species? Im sure thats wrong but can someone tell me why?
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 10:20:30 PM
At 2/24/2009 7:32:06 PM, Nik wrote:
Neither can you, deady
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 4:59:49 AM
As in it needs the assistance of another cell to reproduce (not another virus)

It cant perform meiosis or mitosis
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 3:47:53 PM
At 2/24/2009 7:32:06 PM, Nik wrote:

Just a small thought but if two organisims are considered the same species if they can viably breed together and produce fertile offspring. does that mean that people with downs syndrome are technically a different species? Im sure thats wrong but can someone tell me why?

Females are generally fertile, males on the whole are sterile, though at least two cases of that not being the case are apparent. Since downs syndrome is not inherited except in a fringe percentages of cases, asserting its own speciation would be problematic. :P
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 5:23:28 PM
I thought they were all infertile, due to them having a incorrect number of chromosomes?
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 6:27:29 PM
Ragnar has a good point. All members of the animal kingdom don't have asexual reproduction, yet we are still called life.

As far as life goes, it is a phenomenon of things that happen naturally. I know that's vague, but what I am saying is that since it is a natural occurance than there is going to be in-betweens and variations.

I think therefore a very broad and philosophical definition needs to be worded. As far as I am concerned, Viruses are very much life, as they only exist because they have the strive to exist, and to reproduce.

For evolution to occur you must have:

-reproduction
-mutations

These might be considered to be the basis of life, as it can't develop without them.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 7:28:01 PM
At 2/25/2009 5:23:28 PM, Nik wrote:
I thought they were all infertile, due to them having a incorrect number of chromosomes?

Nope.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2009 7:36:56 PM
At 2/25/2009 7:28:01 PM, Puck wrote:
At 2/25/2009 5:23:28 PM, Nik wrote:

Nope.

no wonder I got an E in biology, my freakin biology teacher was a lying spaz!
jjmd280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2009 12:30:52 AM
A virus isn't alive, but not for the reasons mentioned above. Many "alive" bacteria such as Chlamydia and the Rickettsii group cannot replicate without a host cell. The problem with calling viruses alive is they have no metabolism. (Or react to external stimulus for that matter.)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2009 9:43:46 AM
The notion that viruses don't react to external stimuli is absurd. Introduce a T-cell into the environment of an HIV virus, see if it doesn't react!
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2009 1:45:09 PM
no wonder I got an E in biology, my freakin biology teacher was a lying spaz!

A spaz, eh? Did he have Down's Syndrome?

B/t/w - did you know The Surrey Docks pub is doing bottles of Becks for a quid a throw? I'm staying in Reading during the week these days, so I can't take advantage of it, but if you pop in, say "hello" to John and Glen (ask behind the bar if you don't know them) and tell them I'll buy them a skinfull at the weekend. In return, I'm sure they'll stand you a few on my account!

Cheers!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2009 6:17:31 PM
Fantastic! Surrey docks pub? is that near salt quays pub?
Nail_Bat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2009 6:25:10 PM
Whenever someone comes up with a list of criteria for life, I like to imagine an alien that does not meet at least one of the criteria but still would seem "alive" to me. What would happen if we met such an alien?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 8:12:57 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 2/23/2009 6:54:36 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
I think the the characteristics of Life need to be changed. I've started a debate on it and I want to think what others think about them.

Also, is a virus living?

Characeristics fo life:

Living things are made of cells.

Living things obtain and use energy.

Living things grow and develop.

Living things reproduce.

Living things respond to their environment.

Living things adapt to their environment

Hi seven years ago.
Meh!
Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 3:10:17 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I agree that virus are debatable living things.

There is a dillema that i want to ask:
If 7 characteristics of life includes the Ability to Reproduce
However Mules (mix of horse & donkey) cannot reproduce,
Does that mean Mules are not living things?

If mules are considered living things, then are the 7 characteristics of life Faulty?