Jump to topic:

Astronomy

Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 3:21:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Does anyone here have an interest in astronomy? I understand Dannel does but anyone else?

I'm curious about astronomical binoculars, I'm a semi knowledgeable layman and always find it hard to get clear answers to questions in this area.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:40:39 PM
At 10/8/2016 3:21:26 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
Does anyone here have an interest in astronomy? I understand Dannel does but anyone else?

I'm curious about astronomical binoculars, I'm a semi knowledgeable layman and always find it hard to get clear answers to questions in this area.

Astro binoculars are a great way to get into amateur astronomy, what do you want to know?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:16:57 PM
At 10/8/2016 4:40:39 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Astro binoculars are a great way to get into amateur astronomy, what do you want to know?

It seems there are (very crudely) three tiers:

1. el cheapo
2. decent lowish budget
3. high end - pretty damn costly.

After some research a year or so ago, I settled on a pair of Oberwerk 20x80, they look exactly like this model:

https://www.amazon.com...

I ordered them from Oberwerk and paid around 250 bucks I guess.

I'd place these in the middle '2' category, el cheap look good to a real novice but I know enough to not waste money.

Now the Oberwerk's are pretty good but here is problem:

I am perceiving a collimation issue, small but irritating and I see no way to adjust the collimation, no screws or anything.

Am I right too, if the collimation is off, one sees an image in each eye but they are sufficiently misaligned so that the center of the image perceived by each eye are different parts of the scence and the mind struggles to see a stable, clear single image but sees two overlapping images that refuse to "meld".

The error isn't huge and I can "tweak" it by intentionally slightly adjusting the center focus and left focus so that the image is pretty sharp but the collimation error slightly reduced.

I'm of the opinion that for very high quality collimation setting one probably has to spend high end?

Thx
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:45:03 PM
At 10/8/2016 5:16:57 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

1. el cheapo
2. decent lowish budget

After some research a year or so ago, I settled on a pair of Oberwerk 20x80, they look exactly like this model:

I'd place these in the middle '2' category, el cheap look good to a real novice but I know enough to not waste money.

I am perceiving a collimation issue, small but irritating and I see no way to adjust the collimation, no screws or anything.

Am I right too, if the collimation is off, one sees an image in each eye but they are sufficiently misaligned so that the center of the image perceived by each eye are different parts of the scence and the mind struggles to see a stable, clear single image but sees two overlapping images that refuse to "meld".

The error isn't huge and I can "tweak" it by intentionally slightly adjusting the center focus and left focus so that the image is pretty sharp but the collimation error slightly reduced.

I'm of the opinion that for very high quality collimation setting one probably has to spend high end?

Thx

Maybe the got banged up in shipping?

For myself, I have often had to take apart binoculars in order to collimate them properly, if you feel you have the mechanical inclination to do it yourself, you can, but it's not anywhere near as easy as to collimate a telescope, but it can be done. Or, you could take them to an astronomy store and have their technicians do it for you.

My binoculars, which I've had for more than 25 years are Fujinon marine military grade 7X50, which cost at that time over $1300. They work as good today as when I got them. The prices for these have come down somewhat.

There are a lot of good binoculars in the $250 price range, and the ones you got are probably fine, but just need adjusting.

What do you use to stabilize them while you're viewing? Tripod?

I built one of these, works great...

http://www.fvas.net...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:49:54 PM
At 10/8/2016 5:20:56 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
Hmm, just found this:

http://www.cloudynights.com...

Thoughts?

Good article, I would highly recommend joining that site and asking questions, there are many knowledgeable folks there. I've been a member there for years and at one time was a moderator.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:13:44 PM
At 10/8/2016 5:45:03 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

1. el cheapo
2. decent lowish budget

Thx

For myself, I have often had to take apart binoculars in order to collimate them properly, if you feel you have the mechanical inclination to do it yourself, you can, but it's not anywhere near as easy as to collimate a telescope, but it can be done. Or, you could take them to an astronomy store and have their technicians do it for you.

My binoculars, which I've had for more than 25 years are Fujinon marine military grade 7X50, which cost at that time over $1300. They work as good today as when I got them. The prices for these have come down somewhat.

There are a lot of good binoculars in the $250 price range, and the ones you got are probably fine, but just need adjusting.

Hmm, yes I think you're right they do just need a tweak but I'd not attempt this without setting some decent process for doing it right (it seems that it's mainly a horizontal thing, left eye might see a distant pillar in the center but the right eye sees it just left of center).

I have no tripod - call me lame, I won't argue - but I tend to just occasionally sit in a lounge chair sometimes and stargaze informally.

I have tons of books from my teens and knew pretty much most of the sky and constellations and so on, loved the subject but as I got older I just never found time.

Not sure if you ever saw this, this guy was a real hero to me in the 60s and 70s:

https://www.youtube.com...

It was interesting to hear how NASA actually consulted him once due to his intimate knowledge of the moon.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:26:19 PM
At 10/8/2016 6:13:44 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:45:03 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

1. el cheapo
2. decent lowish budget

Thx

Hmm, yes I think you're right they do just need a tweak but I'd not attempt this without setting some decent process for doing it right (it seems that it's mainly a horizontal thing, left eye might see a distant pillar in the center but the right eye sees it just left of center).

I have no tripod - call me lame, I won't argue - but I tend to just occasionally sit in a lounge chair sometimes and stargaze informally.

I have tons of books from my teens and knew pretty much most of the sky and constellations and so on, loved the subject but as I got older I just never found time.

Not sure if you ever saw this, this guy was a real hero to me in the 60s and 70s:

https://www.youtube.com...

It was interesting to hear how NASA actually consulted him once due to his intimate knowledge of the moon.

Oh yeah, Moore was an icon, loved that guy.