Jump to topic:

Global Warming

ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:10:46 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I think Global Warming is real and it is an actual proven event.
This thread is meant for clearing any misconceptions or myths about / against Global Warming.
P.S.
Leave your arguments below.
Thnx
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 3:28:36 AM
At 10/9/2016 2:10:46 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:
This thread is meant for clearing any misconceptions or myths about / against Global Warming.
P.S.
Thnx

Climate change. Global warming implies a purely warming trend, when it is actually the entire climate changing, and it is not just getting warmer. The more accurate term is climate change.

I do believe that this is happening, but I do not think that it is as huge a threat as most make it out to be. Yes, humans have contributed to climate change, but we are not the cause. Climate change is actually a perfectly natural process that Earth has been through multiple times. Think about it. The poles, some of the coldest places on Earth used to be tropical. What we are doing today is merely speeding up a natural process. That is not to say that climate change is a good thing. Loss of habitat, rising sea levels, whether changes. These are a few of the effects of climate change, and they are not good. There is, however, really nothing that can be done. Earth will change over time. This is inevitable.

Also, CO2 is not the huge greenhouse gas everyone thinks it is. I'm not saying it isn't a greenhouse gas. It is. I am saying that it is not the worst, just the most well known. H2O (water vapor), for example is actually hundreds of times more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2 is. Methane is also a greenhouse gas that most people don't think about, and it is about 30% more effective than CO2.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 4:51:04 AM
At 10/10/2016 3:28:36 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

Climate change. Global warming implies a purely warming trend, when it is actually the entire climate changing, and it is not just getting warmer. The more accurate term is climate change.

I do believe that this is happening, but I do not think that it is as huge a threat as most make it out to be. Yes, humans have contributed to climate change, but we are not the cause. Climate change is actually a perfectly natural process that Earth has been through multiple times. Think about it. The poles, some of the coldest places on Earth used to be tropical. What we are doing today is merely speeding up a natural process. That is not to say that climate change is a good thing. Loss of habitat, rising sea levels, whether changes. These are a few of the effects of climate change, and they are not good. There is, however, really nothing that can be done. Earth will change over time. This is inevitable.

Also, CO2 is not the huge greenhouse gas everyone thinks it is. I'm not saying it isn't a greenhouse gas. It is. I am saying that it is not the worst, just the most well known. H2O (water vapor), for example is actually hundreds of times more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2 is. Methane is also a greenhouse gas that most people don't think about, and it is about 30% more effective than CO2.

This post you wrote is now my post.
Got it ?
Nice man.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 5:03:09 AM
At 10/10/2016 4:51:04 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

Got it ?
Nice man.

What? I'm confused.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 5:07:13 AM
At 10/10/2016 5:03:09 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

Got it ?
Nice man.

What? I'm confused.

Sorry. What I'm saying is, I like this post. And if someone asks me about global warming , this is they way I want to answer it.
nice post.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:14:43 AM
P.S.
Thnx

The trend is to rapid warming, so that is the principal concern.

I do believe that this is happening, but I do not think that it is as huge a threat as most make it out to be. Yes, humans have contributed to climate change, but we are not the cause.

The rise in temperature over the last 150 years has been caused primarily by human activity. This is established science. If you think there is some other cause, please identify it.

Climate change is actually a perfectly natural process that Earth has been through multiple times. Think about it. The poles, some of the coldest places on Earth used to be tropical.

Yes, but over very long periods of time, ie. slowly. This gives flora and fauna time to adapt. A couple of centuries is nowhere near enough time to avoid mass species extinction. Coral reefs are already dying. Regardless, what happened naturally in the past is irrelevant to the problems of today induced by mankind's uncontrolled burning of fossil fuels. There are 7 billion humans on the planet with a significant percentage set to be affected. They weren't around during the epochs you are referring to, so how is it pertinent? It's like arguing that Earth used to be a molten ball so what does it matter if we drop a few thousand hydrogen bombs on major cities. It's an absurd argument.

What we are doing today is merely speeding up a natural process.

And therein lies the problem. See above.

There is not much we can do about natural processes. There is something we can do about man-made carbon dioxide emissions. See the difference?

It's a natural process for houses to crumble into dust over time. It doesn't matter much then if we speed up that natural process, right?

That is not to say that climate change is a good thing. Loss of habitat, rising sea levels, whether changes.

It's weather.

These are a few of the effects of climate change, and they are not good. There is, however, really nothing that can be done.

Yes there is. Reduce carbon emissions. What is so difficult?

Earth will change over time. This is inevitable.

We (and other species) can cope with slow change. It is much harder and perhaps impossible to cope with rapid change over only two centuries. This rate of change is unprecedented in the history of the Earth.

True. However, we aren't pumping huge amounts of either water vapour or methane into the atmosphere as we have been doing with CO2. The levels of the former two are relatively constant (although that may change if the permafrost melts in the northern hemisphere).
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:16:43 AM
At 10/10/2016 5:07:13 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

Got it ?
Nice man.

What? I'm confused.

Sorry. What I'm saying is, I like this post. And if someone asks me about global warming , this is they way I want to answer it.
nice post.

I wouldn't if I were you. The arguments, if you could call them that, are poorly thought out.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 11:44:26 AM
To the OP: easily found stats at EPA.gov and eia.gov showing US greenhouse reductions since 07, close to 2000 levels, and projected to continue that trend.
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 5:42:34 PM
At 10/9/2016 2:46:01 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
Then why don't you use the concept as currently titled: climate change

Climate change refers to the wide range of problems that our Planet faces today such as Ocean acidification, intense droughts and storms and rapid season fluctuations. It includes the problem of increasing temperatures.

Global warming on the other hand refers to only the increasing temperatures caused due to the green house effect and increasing methane and CO2 LEVELS.
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 5:50:59 PM
P.S.
Thnx

I can actually agree to some of your statements, but could you please specify which side you are on in particular?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:18:30 PM
At 10/10/2016 5:42:34 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:

Climate change refers to the wide range of problems that our Planet faces today such as Ocean acidification, intense droughts and storms and rapid season fluctuations. It includes the problem of increasing temperatures.

Global warming on the other hand refers to only the increasing temperatures caused due to the green house effect and increasing methane and CO2 LEVELS.

Yea most of us were alive when climatologists and atmospheric physicists recoined the term... right about the time you were born.
WizardOfSnakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:19:42 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:18:30 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Yea most of us were alive when climatologists and atmospheric physicists recoined the term... right about the time you were born.

Evolution is not true.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:24:40 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:19:42 PM, WizardOfSnakes wrote:

Evolution is not true.

Huh?
WizardOfSnakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:25:38 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:24:40 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/10/2016 7:19:42 PM, WizardOfSnakes wrote:

Evolution is not true.

Huh?

global warming and evolution were made up by liberal illuminati
ZeldaMafia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:31:55 PM

That has no relevance to the topic.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:48:38 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:31:55 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:

That has no relevance to the topic.

Yeah, it kind of does. 4 groups still use the term global warming:

1. Media
2. Politicians
3. Those repeating what they read pro
4. Those repeating what they read con

Notice a theme? Probably not
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:04:22 PM
At 10/10/2016 5:07:13 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

Got it ?
Nice man.

What? I'm confused.

nice post.

Oh ok. Thanks.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:21:57 PM
At 10/10/2016 9:14:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

I get that, but that is not the only effect of climate change, as many people belive.
I do believe that this is happening, but I do not think that it is as huge a threat as most make it out to be. Yes, humans have contributed to climate change, but we are not the cause.

The rise in temperature over the last 150 years has been caused primarily by human activity. This is established science. If you think there is some other cause, please identify it.
Again, we are speeding up a natural process. We are not helping the problem, but we are not the cause. Earth has gone through many climate changes throughout its history. It's just that none of them were this fast.
Climate change is actually a perfectly natural process that Earth has been through multiple times. Think about it. The poles, some of the coldest places on Earth used to be tropical.

Yes, but over very long periods of time, ie. slowly. This gives flora and fauna time to adapt. A couple of centuries is nowhere near enough time to avoid mass species extinction. Coral reefs are already dying. Regardless, what happened naturally in the past is irrelevant to the problems of today induced by mankind's uncontrolled burning of fossil fuels. There are 7 billion humans on the planet with a significant percentage set to be affected. They weren't around during the epochs you are referring to, so how is it pertinent? It's like arguing that Earth used to be a molten ball so what does it matter if we drop a few thousand hydrogen bombs on major cities. It's an absurd argument.
I'm not saying that Earth's natural warming and cooling make this one irrelevant. I am saying that we are not the cause of climate change. We are speeding it up. We are like a catalyst in a chemical reaction. We do not cause the reaction. The reaction would have taken place anyway, just much more slowly. We speed up the reaction and make it much more noticeable. I am not saying that what we are doing isn't bad. It is. What I am saying is that there a lot of people that believe that climate change is caused solely by humans, and that is simply not the case.

There is not much we can do about natural processes. There is something we can do about man-made carbon dioxide emissions. See the difference?

It's a natural process for houses to crumble into dust over time. It doesn't matter much then if we speed up that natural process, right?
The process of a house crumbling can be avoided and fixed. This is not a house. This is a planet. To change or prevent Earth's natural warming and cooling, you would have to change the behavior of an entire planet. Also, I did not say that speeding up climate change doesn't matter. Again, it is not a good thing. I am merely stating that the cause of climate change is not solely human activity, as many people think.
That is not to say that climate change is a good thing. Loss of habitat, rising sea levels, whether changes.

It's weather.

These are a few of the effects of climate change, and they are not good. There is, however, really nothing that can be done.

The climate will change with or without CO2 reductions. I do think that burning of fossil fuel should not happen, but that will not reverse climate change, only slow it down. Things would be better if the process was slowed down, but no matter what you do, it cannot be stopped.

We (and other species) can cope with slow change. It is much harder and perhaps impossible to cope with rapid change over only two centuries. This rate of change is unprecedented in the history of the Earth.

True. However, we aren't pumping huge amounts of either water vapour or methane into the atmosphere as we have been doing with CO2. The levels of the former two are relatively constant (although that may change if the permafrost melts in the northern hemisphere).

This is also true. I am just saying that CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas that we should be worried about.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:37:58 PM
At 10/10/2016 5:50:59 PM, ZeldaMafia wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

I can actually agree to some of your statements, but could you please specify which side you are on in particular?

I believe that climate change exists, and it is happening. I believe that is is a problem, but it is not nearly as bad as some say. And I can't stand environmental activists. "Will you sign this petition to-" No, I will not.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 10:02:23 PM
At 10/10/2016 9:21:57 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 10/10/2016 9:14:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
P.S.
Thnx

I get that, but that is not the only effect of climate change, as many people belive.

It's the root cause and that is the issue.

Again, we are speeding up a natural process.

No. There is no natural process which digs coal out of the ground and burns it. There is no natural process which drills for oil and converts billions of gallons into petrochemicals for combustion.

We are not helping the problem, but we are not the cause.

You are in denial. Please identify the cause then as I asked.

Earth has gone through many climate changes throughout its history.

Irrelevant to the current problem. See my earlier comments below.

It's just that none of them were this fast.

Which is very much the problem. Thank you.

I'm not saying that Earth's natural warming and cooling make this one irrelevant. I am saying that we are not the cause of climate change.

But we are for the present rapid climate change. The science is in. Who really cares what caused slow climate change in the past? It is beside the point.

We are speeding it up.

Then we are the immediate cause. Thank you.

We are like a catalyst in a chemical reaction. We do not cause the reaction. The reaction would have taken place anyway, just much more slowly. We speed up the reaction and make it much more noticeable.

Poor analogy. The Earth is, according to past history, supposed to be entering a cooling phase about now. Far from speeding up a natural process, we have completely reversed it.

Anyway, what part of greatly speeding up a natural process being bad for life on Earth don't you understand?

I am not saying that what we are doing isn't bad. It is. What I am saying is that there a lot of people that believe that climate change is caused solely by humans, and that is simply not the case.

That is not the issue. The immediate rapid climate change is definitely being caused by human beings and that is what worries scientists and governments. Whether slow climate change happened in the past is neither here nor there in regard to the current problem.

The process of a house crumbling can be avoided and fixed.

My point exactly.

This is not a house. This is a planet. To change or prevent Earth's natural warming and cooling, you would have to change the behavior of an entire planet.

It's not the natural warming that we are discussing. It is the unnatural warming and, yes, it will require humans to change behaviour over the entire planet. So?

Also, I did not say that speeding up climate change doesn't matter. Again, it is not a good thing. I am merely stating that the cause of climate change is not solely human activity, as many people think.

You seem stuck on this point. I get it. However, it is irrelevant to human induced rapid global warming.

It's weather.

The climate will change with or without CO2 reductions.

Very slowly and naturally. Life (and humanity) can cope with that.

I do think that burning of fossil fuel should not happen, but that will not reverse climate change, only slow it down.

And that's a good thing, right?

Things would be better if the process was slowed down, but no matter what you do, it cannot be stopped.

You are still stuck on the same irrelevant point.

No response? Did understanding finally dawn?

This is also true. I am just saying that CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas that we should be worried about.

It is the only one we can worry about since it is the only we have been heavily polluting the atmosphere with since the beginning of the industrial age. You worry about the damage you have done and look at ways to mitigate the problem. Just as we did for ozone depleting areosols and the lead contamination from petrol additives.
Flatlander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 3:36:38 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
It is simple.

Is there a point where there can be too much greenhouse gases?
The answer is yes. It is a fact, that if we have as much greenhouse gas as Venus, humans would all be dead.
So lets rate Greenhouse Gas on a rate of 1 to 10. 1 is perfect for human life. 10 is almost all life dies.

Ok, so lets take a step back. Is there a point where CO2 will be apocalyptic and most humans will die and the remaining humans will live in a post-apocalyptic world?
Yes, there is a point, if all ice on earth melts, sea levels rise by 80 feet, most crops fail and we have mass-extinction of plant and animal life, humans will also have a bad time.
So lets Rate "Post-Apocalyptic Human Survival" at 9/10.

We can say 8/10 could be we have some mass migration, food shortages, tropical storms, and issues with disease.

7/10 would be less than that.
ETC the trend continues until you reach 1/10 "Perfect Human Climate"

So we are somewhere between 1/10, and 10/10. The more Greenhouse Gas that is in the atmosphere, the closer we get to 10/10.

The argument should not be "Is global warming/climate change happening?" It should be. "How can we stay as close to 1/10 as possible, and avoid heading towards 10/10 - Death to most life on earth"