Jump to topic:

Ocular senses effect on dreams?

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 4:15:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm just curious. Granted that one's hearing, sense of touch and sense of smell can have an effect on the progress of one's dream, this begs the question as to why one's eye sight can render no effect? Why does the brain only shut off all systems concerning one's eyes? Can one truly not sleep without their eyes being active? I mean . . . what of the people who can sleep with their eyes open or people who are born without eyelids? I believe I may know the answer, but would prefer it if others answered instead.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 4:17:59 PM
Actually, let me approach this a bit differently. If an extremely bright light is flashed at an individual while they are sleeping, will they wake up or could the bright light possibly have an impact on their dreams?
leethal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 4:24:39 PM
Excellent question. I would guess that a bright light, if it had any effect at all, would wake the sleeper from his slumber rather than encourage the sun to rise in his/her dream, for example.
I'd say this is due to the eyes playing a larger role in our sleep pattern than do smell or hearing, i.e. Rapid Eye Movement.

I'm gonna Google this.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 4:39:09 PM
At 2/24/2009 4:17:59 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Actually, let me approach this a bit differently. If an extremely bright light is flashed at an individual while they are sleeping, will they wake up or could the bright light possibly have an impact on their dreams?

I actually happen to know a bit about this. There is a gadget known as the NovaDreamer, which flashes lights in your eyes when it detects you have entered REM. This signal is meant to be recognized within the dream and ultimately induce a lucid dream.

I think this proves that light signals can indeed be detected inside of a dream, just like any sense.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 4:42:15 PM
And as far as sleeping with eyes open, it's hard to imagine getting very deep rest when your mind is constantly distracted visually. I wonder if they even reach REM.

If they did, and there eyes were open, then they would not be able to see anything anyways, since there eyes would be dancing around like mad.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 5:02:50 PM
At 2/24/2009 4:15:58 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I'm just curious. Granted that one's hearing, sense of touch and sense of smell can have an effect on the progress of one's dream, this begs the question as to why one's eye sight can render no effect? Why does the brain only shut off all systems concerning one's eyes? Can one truly not sleep without their eyes being active? I mean . . . what of the people who can sleep with their eyes open or people who are born without eyelids? I believe I may know the answer, but would prefer it if others answered instead.

Your circadian rythym in regards to sleep is partially determined by the level of light that is registered prior to and during sleep. High light level (that includes computer monitors) at night hampers melatonin being released; the body is triggered to wakefulness when a certain level of light registers after a nights sleep.
leethal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 6:07:14 PM
I actually happen to know a bit about this. There is a gadget known as the NovaDreamer, which flashes lights in your eyes when it detects you have entered REM. This signal is meant to be recognized within the dream and ultimately induce a lucid dream.

Now that's a cool gadget right there. I have been trying to induce lucid dreams for about a year now, and it's just not happening. I have tried all the 'triggers' which are supposed to set them off, such as flicking the light switch or staring at my watch at regular intervals, all to no avail. I've got a friend Mark whose dreams are perpetually lucid; in fact, he didn't know that there were such things as non-lucid dreams until I began researching them.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:26:03 PM
Now that's a cool gadget right there. I have been trying to induce lucid dreams for about a year now, and it's just not happening. I have tried all the 'triggers' which are supposed to set them off, such as flicking the light switch or staring at my watch at regular intervals, all to no avail. I've got a friend Mark whose dreams are perpetually lucid; in fact, he didn't know that there were such things as non-lucid dreams until I began researching them.

Well I certainly envy your friend then. That's pretty amazing.

I have had about 3 lucid dreams since I accidentally had one slightly over a year ago. That was before I even knew the term "lucid dream" and afterwards did research on it and have been obsessed with the concept on and off for slightly over a year.

In the "miscellaneous" category I started a thread on this subject.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:30:06 PM
Yeah guys. Like you know when you sneak down to the living when your sister is having a sleepover with friends and do things over the hot girls while they're sleeping. I mean, who HASN'T done that? Does that affect their dreams? I wonder.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:32:32 PM
At 2/24/2009 7:30:06 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Yeah guys. Like you know when you sneak down to the living when your sister is having a sleepover with friends and do things over the hot girls while they're sleeping. I mean, who HASN'T done that? Does that affect their dreams? I wonder.

You have a reputation on this site you know.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:38:01 PM
I can't tell if you're implying that I have a good rep and I hurt it with that post, or if I have a bad rep in general and am confirming it with that post. Please clarify.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 7:40:18 PM
At 2/24/2009 7:30:06 PM, s0m31john wrote:

I'm betting YOU were the one dreaming.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leethal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 8:30:44 PM
Well I certainly envy your friend then. That's pretty amazing.

I have had about 3 lucid dreams since I accidentally had one slightly over a year ago.

And I envy you! I would settle for 1 completely lucid dream just so I could try it out. I have accidentally become lucid in dreams before but as soon as I go "whoa, this is a dream" I wake up. Very annoying stuff.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 8:35:38 PM
My dad had a dream where he kept on going in different rooms but the blinds were open in every room and it was too bright so he'd leave and go to a different room, but they're still there. he woke up and it was daytime and , yes, his blinds were open.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2009 1:00:41 PM
I have lucid dreams pretty often (I'd say about 3 - 4 times a week). I didn't even know there were triggers to induce them or anything like that. Wow. That's pretty interesting.

I'm actually kind of fascinated by dreams; the ones I have are so bizarre... vivid, but bizarre. I don't dream about anything "normal" usually, but rather strange things like living in a city where everyone had green mohawks or that I was WALKING along blue rollercoaster tracks high above the ground with various members of 'N Sync. Yeah... strange.

And on a completely off topic note, I know that a lot of people have dreams about ME, apparently. This is what I've been told (by my friends and whatnot). Oh and exes of mine have always dreamt bad things about me; for instance me killing them in really creepy ways with knives (lol - no kidding) and/or me cheating on them all the time. WTF.
President of DDO