Jump to topic:

500km Asteroid hits Earth

Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 10:28:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This has happened at least 6 times to Earth (once every ~500MY).

Has HD option if you select it.

The next video is the coolest size-comparison chart I've yet seen.
no comment
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 10:54:30 AM
At 1/18/2011 10:28:32 AM, Caramel wrote:
This has happened at least 6 times to Earth (once every ~500MY):

Highly probable it will happen again. The only uncertainty is whether or not it will be in our lifetime.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:33:35 AM
The asteroid Apophis is getting scientists nervous. Let's hope our calculations get better on it's path - as some are estimating it will hit earth by 2036: http://en.wikipedia.org...
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:33:49 AM
According to the video the parthenon survives, so we will be okay if we camp out there.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 4:27:37 PM
At 1/18/2011 11:05:29 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
It is inevitable, and highly unlikely that we will be able to prevent it. A possible ELE...

Actually as our computers become more accurate, we become better at charting potential paths, and so can see further into the "future" (I mean be able to predict more accurately based on current knowledge) for these.

It won't be too long until we have the ability to actually prevent anything like this.

Let's say we can see that there is an asteroid 577 km wide and it will hit us in 182 years, and 3 months. By simply "nudging" it, that force (which would be small compared to the overall size of the rock) would move it enough so that it would not hit the Earth in 182.25 years (maybe it will hit the earth in another 600,000 years, but we can then nudge it again, or maybe even nudge it onto a path to collide with jupiter).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 12:17:01 AM
At 1/18/2011 10:54:30 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/18/2011 10:28:32 AM, Caramel wrote:
This has happened at least 6 times to Earth (once every ~500MY):

Highly probable it will happen again. The only uncertainty is whether or not it will be in our lifetime.

Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:39:52 AM
It won't be too long until we have the ability to actually prevent anything like this.

I'm less interested in debating whether we can stop it than I am in asking whether we should stop it. Asteroid impacts like this keep Earth at the toasty 40 or 50 degrees F that it is right now, and if we stop these impacts then we will lose this secondary source of heat. Asteroids could be instrumental in supplying not only raw materials for life but possibly even the seeds of life at a more fundamental level that we do not yet comprehend; we still cannot create the serendipity of chemical interactions that are supposed to have started it on Earth. Therefore it may be that life is not generated on Earth as we so geocentrically like to believe, but that it is instead delivered to Earth from space. Maybe the asteroid actually contains the return of Michael Jackson.
no comment
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:45:58 AM
At 1/19/2011 9:39:52 AM, Caramel wrote:

I'm less interested in debating whether we can stop it than I am in asking whether we should stop it. Asteroid impacts like this keep Earth at the toasty 40 or 50 degrees F that it is right now, and if we stop these impacts then we will lose this secondary source of heat. Asteroids could be instrumental in supplying not only raw materials for life but possibly even the seeds of life at a more fundamental level that we do not yet comprehend; we still cannot create the serendipity of chemical interactions that are supposed to have started it on Earth. Therefore it may be that life is not generated on Earth as we so geocentrically like to believe, but that it is instead delivered to Earth from space. Maybe the asteroid actually contains the return of Michael Jackson.

I think most people on the earth would like to be alive.

Stopping an asteroid attack would involve strong electromagnets that would steer it off it's track. It is not too difficult to make.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:55:46 AM
At 1/19/2011 9:45:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Think Most Want See the problem?
You are forcing a minority to live in the oppression of the majority with that line of reasoning, because you think its what they want.
No reality is better let that thing hit earth.

Plus if it lands in the ocean very few people will die.
Then again it could cause tsunamis or something.
Stopping an asteroid attack would involve strong electromagnets that would steer it off it's track. It is not too difficult to make.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:58:41 AM
At 1/19/2011 9:55:46 AM, lovelife wrote:

You are forcing a minority to live in the oppression of the majority with that line of reasoning, because you think its what they want.

lulz. That was actually a pretty good troll.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:30:28 AM

Then let little ones hit, not 500km ones, as those are not good for life.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:36:48 AM

A 500km asteroid would kill nearly all life on earth, regardless of where it hits.

Heck, Vi pointed out earlier, scientists are worried about a 290 meter wide asteroid, since it would cause about 500 megatons (or 25,000 times the damage of the Little Boy bomb dropped on Japan).

Now consider an asteroid about 3 billion times more massive and you're looking at the equivilent of hundreds of billions of nuclear warheads. Just because it lands in the oceans doesn't mean that we have any chance of surviving.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:47:00 AM
I'd also like to point out that the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs is estimated to only have been 10km wide.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:37:17 PM

actually the interior of the earth is mostly heated by radioactive decay not asteroid impacts.

furthermore, while its possible that asteroid impacts "seeded" the earth with certain biomolecules that led to the formation of life, that explanation relies no less on serendipity than the idea that life originated here- it just adds another step to the problem. iow- how did life get here? well it was brought on an asteroid... and how did life originate to be on the asteroid in the first place? the answer to that question would have to be quite similar to the answer to how life could have originated on earth, except we have no idea what the original conditions would have been or where this may have happened.

finally, its pretty clear from our knowledge of biology that we don't need to be continuously seeded from space to continue on (unless you count the constant energy imput of the sun).

should we passively watch as an asteroid approaches that will cause our extinction? call me crazy but i'm gonna say no...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:39:52 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:37:17 PM, belle wrote:

actually the interior of the earth is mostly heated by radioactive decay not asteroid impacts.

furthermore, while its possible that asteroid impacts "seeded" the earth with certain biomolecules that led to the formation of life, that explanation relies no less on serendipity than the idea that life originated here- it just adds another step to the problem. iow- how did life get here? well it was brought on an asteroid... and how did life originate to be on the asteroid in the first place? the answer to that question would have to be quite similar to the answer to how life could have originated on earth, except we have no idea what the original conditions would have been or where this may have happened.

finally, its pretty clear from our knowledge of biology that we don't need to be continuously seeded from space to continue on (unless you count the constant energy imput of the sun).

should we passively watch as an asteroid approaches that will cause our extinction? call me crazy but i'm gonna say no...

you crazy lady.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:43:36 PM
At 1/19/2011 11:36:48 AM, OreEle wrote:

A 500km asteroid would kill nearly all life on earth, regardless of where it hits.

Heck, Vi pointed out earlier, scientists are worried about a 290 meter wide asteroid, since it would cause about 500 megatons (or 25,000 times the damage of the Little Boy bomb dropped on Japan).

Now consider an asteroid about 3 billion times more massive and you're looking at the equivilent of hundreds of billions of nuclear warheads. Just because it lands in the oceans doesn't mean that we have any chance of surviving.

It wasn't my intent to be serious. That said idk much about size of asteroids and damage they cause.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 10:52:54 PM
Eh, I'm sure I'd be fine.

In seriousness though, that would be bad but 500km is extremely huge and it would annihilate us. Thankfully, the asteriod that Vi mentioned is a total shrimp compared to that one and it would not destroy the world.

That said, if I have to die somehow I think I'd like to watch that impossibly huge rock fall out of the sky in the distance just prior to my demise.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 10:56:00 PM
At 1/19/2011 10:52:54 PM, Grape wrote:
Eh, I'm sure I'd be fine.

In seriousness though, that would be bad but 500km is extremely huge and it would annihilate us. Thankfully, the asteriod that Vi mentioned is a total shrimp compared to that one and it would not destroy the world.

That said, if I have to die somehow I think I'd like to watch that impossibly huge rock fall out of the sky in the distance just prior to my demise.

Yeah, Vi's was only 290 m (as opposed to 500,000 m).

But that would be a cool ending to life (though preferably around 90 years old or so)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 4:52:28 AM
No thanks.

Watch Bad Universe episode one. It's about comets and astroids.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 6:29:21 AM
A 500km asteroid would destroy all life on earth. However, an asteroid that large is easy to spot and track. At this point in the evolution of the solar system there are not so many large collisions, and none of the very large asteroids appear to be a threat. The theory is that the moon was formed by an early large collision.

If an asteroid collision is projected well in advance, it's possible to deflect it by applying a force, like a nuke to eject material, on one side of it. A small deflection a long distance away would be enough to change the orbit enough to avoid the collision.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:07:15 PM
At 1/20/2011 6:29:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
A 500km asteroid would destroy all life on earth. However, an asteroid that large is easy to spot and track. At this point in the evolution of the solar system there are not so many large collisions, and none of the very large asteroids appear to be a threat. The theory is that the moon was formed by an early large collision.

If an asteroid collision is projected well in advance, it's possible to deflect it by applying a force, like a nuke to eject material, on one side of it. A small deflection a long distance away would be enough to change the orbit enough to avoid the collision.

Better yet, put several nuclear powered hall effect drives on its sides and open up a mining facility/space habitat and put it in orbit of mars . . . we could make a profit . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:29:21 AM
At 1/19/2011 4:37:17 PM, belle wrote:

I knew you were crazy. PROOF!
no comment
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:42:53 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:07:15 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 1/20/2011 6:29:21 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Better yet, put several nuclear powered hall effect drives on its sides and open up a mining facility/space habitat and put it in orbit of mars . . . we could make a profit . . .

I don't think we would find enough material on the asteroid to make that cost effective. However, maybe a high end retirement home, the low gravity would be very beneficial to them.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:22:35 AM
At 1/18/2011 4:18:48 PM, Caramel wrote:
I think an asteroid impact like this would improve life on Earth.

i also think this.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 9:24:27 AM
At 1/30/2011 9:22:35 AM, badger wrote:
At 1/18/2011 4:18:48 PM, Caramel wrote:
I think an asteroid impact like this would improve life on Earth.

i also think this.

...as long as i survived!
signature