Scientific literacy test

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 5:57:41 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
http://www.pewresearch.org...

I think this is an OK test for scientific literacy, but I feel that it's lacking in some areas. Does anyone know of more comprehensive tests?
Meh!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 11:24:37 AM
After doing the test I wasn't surprised that my score was 12/12 but I was surprised only 6% get all the questions right. I would have guessed at least 15-20% and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was even higher.

But then again, I stopped reading the comments on Youtube a while back, so my rose-tinted glasses are still in place. Reading youtube comments is a great way to convince yourself it would be better if humanity handed earth over to the cockroaches right now.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 2:42:34 PM
At 11/5/2016 11:24:37 AM, keithprosser wrote:
After doing the test I wasn't surprised that my score was 12/12 but I was surprised only 6% get all the questions right. I would have guessed at least 15-20% and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was even higher.

But then again, I stopped reading the comments on Youtube a while back, so my rose-tinted glasses are still in place. Reading youtube comments is a great way to convince yourself it would be better if humanity handed earth over to the cockroaches right now.

I'm not surprised that only 6% get the right answers. I know plenty of intelligent people with little interest in science (my daughter with a PhD. in Math from MIT for example) who'd definitely get at least two or three wrong.

For example the boiling water one might stump many.

Now speaking of intelligence here's a very interesting episode of IOT:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

A great debate emerges between very knowledgeable academics!!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 3:43:16 PM
At 11/5/2016 2:42:34 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
A great debate emerges between very knowledgeable academics!!
This one is possibly even better... I always thought John Searle was a luddite, but clearly he isn't at all!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 11:46:23 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago

Ditto, 12/12.

The really sad thing is that females were below males on every question. Only on the astronomy/astrology question did they get close. Just as sad is that the black and hispanic scores were always below the white score. Our education systems are failing us with regard to science unless you are a white male and even there, I agree, I would have expected better scoring to such simple questions.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 3:01:51 PM
At 11/5/2016 11:46:23 PM, dee-em wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

The really sad thing is that females were below males on every question. Only on the astronomy/astrology question did they get close. Just as sad is that the black and hispanic scores were always below the white score. Our education systems are failing us with regard to science unless you are a white male and even there, I agree, I would have expected better scoring to such simple questions.

Younger people today are not encouraged to think, that's the real issue in my view. Endless TV sitcoms, advertisements, cell phones, ipads, etc.

Books are now becoming less and less common, people want immediacy quick "answers" to quick questions.

My teenage nephew had some interest in electronics a few years ago (and I studied electronics) so I spent time with him and explained a few things one afternoon. It was clear he had learned some things but they were very disconnected things.

He had picked up lots of bits if information by browsing the web for quick answers to questions. There were huge gaps and very little connection between the bits he knew.

I even offered to buy him a really good book, just right for someone in his position but he refused, he did not like books and the thought of having to trawl through pages, chapters just to be able to do X or Y was unbearable to him.

Real education requires the student to be willing to study, willing to find out and explore and understand. This requires us to stimulate them into wanting to do this.

Education now is more and more rote, artificial, grade focused rather than understanding focused, as a society we're heading for trouble.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 4:20:30 PM
At 11/6/2016 3:01:51 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

Younger people today are not encouraged to think, that's the real issue in my view. Endless TV sitcoms, advertisements, cell phones, ipads, etc.

Books are now becoming less and less common, people want immediacy quick "answers" to quick questions.

My teenage nephew had some interest in electronics a few years ago (and I studied electronics) so I spent time with him and explained a few things one afternoon. It was clear he had learned some things but they were very disconnected things.

He had picked up lots of bits if information by browsing the web for quick answers to questions. There were huge gaps and very little connection between the bits he knew.

I even offered to buy him a really good book, just right for someone in his position but he refused, he did not like books and the thought of having to trawl through pages, chapters just to be able to do X or Y was unbearable to him.

Real education requires the student to be willing to study, willing to find out and explore and understand. This requires us to stimulate them into wanting to do this.

Education now is more and more rote, artificial, grade focused rather than understanding focused, as a society we're heading for trouble.

It's too bad, Harry, that you don't follow your own advice to educate yourself, to be willing to find out and understand. You simply refuse to do so in favor of your religious beliefs.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 4:43:19 PM
At 11/6/2016 4:20:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

It's too bad, Harry, that you don't follow your own advice to educate yourself, to be willing to find out and understand. You simply refuse to do so in favor of your religious beliefs.

But there's no conflict between any of my beliefs DJR, so I am quite at ease with my worldview.

Now, rather than lurking and sniping at others, why don't you actually start a thread on some science topic, say something original for once in your life.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 4:54:20 PM
At 11/6/2016 4:43:19 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

But there's no conflict between any of my beliefs DJR, so I am quite at ease with my worldview.

Yes, I know the mental gymnastics you work so hard at in order to satisfy your delusions for yourself, they just don't meet the requirements of reality, sanity, reason, etc.

Now, rather than lurking and sniping at others, why don't you actually start a thread on some science topic, say something original for once in your life.

Sure, why don't you creationists hit the road and go to the Religion where your "science" resides and allow the rest of us to turn this into a Science forum rather than a dumping ground for your insanity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 4:58:32 PM
At 11/6/2016 4:54:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

Yes, I know the mental gymnastics you work so hard at in order to satisfy your delusions for yourself, they just don't meet the requirements of reality, sanity, reason, etc.

Sure, why don't you creationists hit the road and go to the Religion where your "science" resides and allow the rest of us to turn this into a Science forum rather than a dumping ground for your insanity.

"The rest of us"? says that man who hasn't started a science thread in at least year, in at least the last 1,000 threads!

Leave the moderation of the forum to the moderators DJR.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 5:59:46 PM
At 11/6/2016 4:58:32 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 11/6/2016 4:54:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Ditto, 12/12.

"The rest of us"? says that man who hasn't started a science thread in at least year, in at least the last 1,000 threads!

And with that ridiculous response, you show that you're compelled to invoke a fallacy instead of a valid response. Perhaps, you can explain what the creation of a science thread has to do with your ignorance of science?

Leave the moderation of the forum to the moderators DJR.

If there were proper moderation in this forum, you and your creationist buddies would have been given the heave ho long ago.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 1:20:02 AM

Ditto, 12/12.

It obviously failed you Harry so I am not sure you are in a position to determine what the problem is or point any fingers. Some of what you say is true but it has very little to do with the education system and having good, enthusiastic teachers promoting an interest in science. As someone who has been in a science classroom as a casual teacher in Australia, I have no great insights to offer. Perhaps too much reliance on canned textbook lessons?

I wonder if the science denial we find on internet forums like this and much of the conservative media has anything to do with it? We have the climate change deniers and the damage they have done to the reputation of science. Then of course we have the evolution deniers who plague science forums peddling their ignorance and pushing pseudoscience like ID. That surely can't help in motivating children to take an interest.