Jump to topic:

Where am I and where are you?

Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 7:26:53 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
For the past couple weeks as I lie in bed with my eyes closed before I go to sleep I focus on feeling where the thing that is me resides in my brain. I find myself in a state that I would describe as meditative, it was very relaxing and made it easy to fall asleep. After three or four minutes I felt I had found the answer, the thing that is me is in the front upper part of my brain in my forehead kind of sitting on top of my brow. I've done this numerous times and always come to the same conclusion.

I had always thought that the center of my consciousness lay straight behind my eyes at roughly the center of my brain and while my eyes are open that's kind of what it feels like, but now I think that's just an illusion.

All this isn't surprising because:

"The frontal lobe is the part of the brain that controls important cognitive skills in humans, such as emotional expression, problem solving, memory, language, judgment, and sexual behavior. It is, in essence, the "control panel" of our personality and our ability to communicate."

http://www.healthline.com...

What I'd like to propose is a little community experiment, do the same as I did and tell me where you find yourself.
Annnaxim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 8:58:10 PM
At 11/6/2016 7:26:53 PM, Accipiter wrote:

I had always thought that the center of my consciousness lay straight behind my eyes at roughly the center of my brain and while my eyes are open that's kind of what it feels like, but now I think that's just an illusion.

"The frontal lobe is the part of the brain that controls important cognitive skills in humans, such as emotional expression, problem solving, memory, language, judgment, and sexual behavior. It is, in essence, the "control panel" of our personality and our ability to communicate."

What I'd like to propose is a little community experiment, do the same as I did and tell me where you find yourself.
I don't believe one can localize consciousness at any point within the brain. I believe it (consciousness) is a brain-wide phenomenon that occurs when a thought becomes so powerful, it causes many billions of neurons to fire synchronously.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 10:47:14 PM
At 11/6/2016 8:58:10 PM, Annnaxim wrote:

I don't believe one can localize consciousness at any point within the brain. I believe it (consciousness) is a brain-wide phenomenon that occurs when a thought becomes so powerful, it causes many billions of neurons to fire synchronously.

Of course this is not hard science, I'm just wondering if other people experience the same thing. Obviously we all feel our consciousness is in our head and not in our feet or arms or anywhere else so consciousness is localized and we all experience that. Do you know anyone that doesn't think their consciousness resides in their head? Take that idea and zoom into the next step which is where in our head does our consciousness seem most prominent. There is no reason not to believe that it can't be localized somewhere in our head and that we can feel it in just the same way we can feel that it's not in our feet.
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 12:57:23 PM
For the past couple weeks as I lie in bed with my eyes closed before I go to sleep I focus on feeling where the thing that is me resides in my brain. I find myself in a state that I would describe as meditative, it was very relaxing and made it easy to fall asleep. After three or four minutes I felt I had found the answer, the thing that is me is in the front upper part of my brain in my forehead kind of sitting on top of my brow. I've done this numerous times and always come to the same conclusion.

What I'd like to propose is a little community experiment, do the same as I did and tell me where you find yourself. : ;

You are at the place you were programmed to be. You didn't have any choice in the matter. The brain isn't what gives you self awareness. Self awareness happens in the program as it's being played out.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 2:01:35 PM
At 11/7/2016 12:57:23 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:

What I'd like to propose is a little community experiment, do the same as I did and tell me where you find yourself. : ;

You are at the place you were programmed to be. You didn't have any choice in the matter. The brain isn't what gives you self awareness. Self awareness happens in the program as it's being played out.

Well, no one thinks their consciousness is located in their left foot or anywhere else, but your head so I don't think your brain is doing anything to trick you, what would be the point of that? So if it's not trying to trick you, you should be able to determine where your consciousness feels most prominent in your head.

There is at least one place in my head I know it's not, put your hand on the back of your head with your thumb located at the base of your skull. There is nothing that you will feel of your consciousness in that area. If you draw a diagonal line from the top of your hand at the center of your head that goes down through your ear to your chin, you will feel nothing of your consciousness in the area behind that line so that itself eliminates about a quarter to a third of your brain.
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 2:12:58 PM
At 11/7/2016 2:01:35 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Well, no one thinks their consciousness is located in their left foot or anywhere else, but your head so I don't think your brain is doing anything to trick you, what would be the point of that? So if it's not trying to trick you, you should be able to determine where your consciousness feels most prominent in your head.

There is at least one place in my head I know it's not, put your hand on the back of your head with your thumb located at the base of your skull. There is nothing that you will feel of your consciousness in that area. If you draw a diagonal line from the top of your hand at the center of your head that goes down through your ear to your chin, you will feel nothing of your consciousness in the area behind that line so that itself eliminates about a quarter to a third of your brain. : :

Our experience of sight can be replicated by playing simulation games in which you perceive yourself peering out into the simulated world from inside an image that looks like a human being, monster or even a robot machine. All you're experiencing is the processing of invisible thoughts.

Where do you think our thoughts are formed?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 3:05:40 PM
At 11/7/2016 5:02:03 AM, difference wrote:
Sounds like where the third eye is supposed to be

I looked up third eye and found this, "The third eye is our ability to see what might be, to see potential. Everyone has access to his or her third eye. For example, when you have a hunch and act on it, you've used your third eye."

http://personaltao.com...

To be clear I reject all religion and mysticism, I think they do more harm then good. I see a rise in anti-intellectualism and anti-academia in America, which is being fueled by religious thinking and it's going to destroy our civilization. There is historical precedence for this so it's not just something I made up, it has happened before.

The fact that people believe in the existence of the third eye leads me to believe that what I experience has been experience by others and has been interpreted as the third eye which is located in your forehead of all places.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 4:07:53 PM
It's too bad that we all know where our brains are. I don't think its possible to know if it feels as if conciousness is located in our head 'ab nihilo' or if it reflects knowledge we can't fully suppress.

However, I do note that the ancient Greeks placed the centre of thought in the heart and considered the brain to be a radiator for cooling the blood. I rather think that means that an ancient Greek must have felt 'he' was in his chest, not his head.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 8:04:54 PM
At 11/7/2016 2:12:58 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:

There is at least one place in my head I know it's not, put your hand on the back of your head with your thumb located at the base of your skull. There is nothing that you will feel of your consciousness in that area. If you draw a diagonal line from the top of your hand at the center of your head that goes down through your ear to your chin, you will feel nothing of your consciousness in the area behind that line so that itself eliminates about a quarter to a third of your brain. : :

Our experience of sight can be replicated by playing simulation games in which you perceive yourself peering out into the simulated world from inside an image that looks like a human being, monster or even a robot machine. All you're experiencing is the processing of invisible thoughts.

In our brains?
GlorifiedOne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 9:27:28 PM
At 11/7/2016 8:04:54 PM, Accipiter wrote:

In our brains? : :

NO. Our brains are not the mind that's connected to computing technology. The visible brain is only a formed illusion that is meaningless but it sure confused scientists who study the brains.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 9:58:04 PM
At 11/7/2016 9:27:28 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
At 11/7/2016 8:04:54 PM, Accipiter wrote:

In our brains? : :

NO. Our brains are not the mind that's connected to computing technology. The visible brain is only a formed illusion that is meaningless but it sure confused scientists who study the brains.

So you think our thoughts are not formed our brain?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 5:42:04 PM
At 11/7/2016 4:07:53 PM, keithprosser wrote:
It's too bad that we all know where our brains are. I don't think its possible to know if it feels as if conciousness is located in our head 'ab nihilo' or if it reflects knowledge we can't fully suppress.

However, I do note that the ancient Greeks placed the centre of thought in the heart and considered the brain to be a radiator for cooling the blood. I rather think that means that an ancient Greek must have felt 'he' was in his chest, not his head.

I feel like I, me, whatever I am is around that upside down V where both sides of my lower rib cage meet. That's where my notions and, gut feelings, and feelings in general on how I should react originate from.

My thought however, is between my ears , and goes forward, much like my perspective in real life.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 5:44:48 PM
At 11/8/2016 5:42:04 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I feel like I, me, whatever I am is around that upside down V where both sides of my lower rib cage meet. That's where my notions and, gut feelings, and feelings in general on how I should react originate from.

My thought however, is between my ears , and goes forward, much like my perspective in real life.

When I think really hard, I feel like my whole head aside from the portion where it meets my neck is churning but especially towards the slightly upper middle, where I can feel an idea forming before I realize it. Stuff off the top of my head, literally feels like its off the top of my head.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Annnaxim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 6:46:04 PM
At 11/7/2016 9:27:28 PM, GlorifiedOne wrote:
Really? What observations support your Hypothesis?
If there is an external being, that controls our thoughts, why is it that the brain is so complex?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 3:27:24 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago

I find that when my eyes are open I feel like I am behind my eyes between my ears at the center of my brain, but when I close my eyes and wait five minutes it feels like I am in the upper front of my brain. Have you tried feeling where you reside with your eyes closed?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 3:32:11 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
At 11/8/2016 5:44:48 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

When I think really hard, I feel like my whole head aside from the portion where it meets my neck is churning but especially towards the slightly upper middle, where I can feel an idea forming before I realize it. Stuff off the top of my head, literally feels like its off the top of my head.

That's probably where the phrase "Of the top of my head" comes from. Other people feel the same thing you do.