Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Eugenics

NomadJD
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:13:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Humans are not perfect. There are many of flaws. One of the biggest flaws is our DNA. Out of the entire genetic code, we only use about 10 percent. Our muscles are inefficient at delivering oxygen to the cells and energy conservation is scarcely there. Our joints creak and break under pressure and our blood vessels get clogged with organic sludge. Our brain is infected with vile emotions such as greed, lust and hate. Eugenics is the key to fixing our problems. Keep in mind this is not the eugenics of the 1940's where Hitler purged the world of a race he thought inferior. This eugenics is the genetic manipulation of human evolution to the point of perfection. The flaws are few and the possibilities are endless and exponentially successful in later generations. I believe Eugenics research should be conducted for the enormous increase in human potential stemming from the increase in physical health, mental health, and other bodily imperfections.
Many religious and moral-questioning figures denounce the thought of Eugenics to the masses and preach of the Nazi's horrible reign of destruction under the flag of Eugenics. They say that Eugenics is a direct violation against a deity. I say that this is not the case, that, if anything, this is something any deity would be proud of. Genetic manipulation would be using the tools given to us to make us healthier and smarter. The only reason humans aren't other animals is because they can find and use tools that aren't already given to them. That is what Eugenics is, the most human thing you can do.
More generally, Eugenics will solve the imperfections of the human race. Beauty imperfections will be demolished. Everyone would have a chance at a perfect relationship and no one would ever feel self-conscious. Disorders and disease would never be seen. Diabetes would be unheard of and no one would ever need to see a doctor. Most importantly, genetic garbage will be exterminated. This will increase cell efficiency by a significant amount and our bodies would never age and wounds would heal in moments.
Also, Eugenics will increase physical health and potential. Organs will be stronger and more efficient. Heart problems would become nonexistent, child birth would be painless, cramps would never occur and appendectomies wouldn't happen. Muscle growth would also be increased. This would eliminate obesity and dwarfism. Also, muscle sensitivity will be heightened. This would mean that human reflexes would be faster and more precise. Humans would be robotic-like in precision and intricacy. Surgeons will save thousands more lives with a steady hand and an articulate touch.
Most importantly, Eugenics will also increase mental efficiency. First, brain capacity will be increased. This means that the attention span of the person would be increased and the memory of them would be even greater. People would remember things that no normal person should know. Also, mental concentration would be more powerful. Geniuses will become common and legends will be born. String theory would be thought in middle school and relativity would be common family topic of debate. Most importantly, emotions would be less detrimental to society. Murderers would be nonexistent and felons would be hard to find.
Anyone want to debate? :D
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:18:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you want an official debate, or in the forums? I accept your challenge either way.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:43:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, what if people don't want to sign up for this program? Are they going to be forced?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:59:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 11:51:07 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/22/2011 11:43:04 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
So, what if people don't want to sign up for this program? Are they going to be forced?

Whoa, there. This is for the good of everyone! What traitor to their species wouldn't want to submit themselves to this?

Well, I'm out...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:03:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 11:29:28 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You're very naive as to what the realistic results of an applied eugenics program would be like.:

And I'm going to exploit that naivete during the official debate. *thumbs up*
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:36:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/22/2011 12:03:59 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/22/2011 11:29:28 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You're very naive as to what the realistic results of an applied eugenics program would be like.:

And I'm going to exploit that naivete during the official debate. *thumbs up*

X3 . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:23:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No. Just no. Ha.

I am a Christian, but I do believe in evolution.

I think let's just let things evolve how they're suppose to be. I don't think we should interfere with the system.

Besides, if there is no God, how can we say there are morales? How can there be good or bad? Good and bad is subjective. If there's no certain set of morales, how can we say that greed or lust or murder is "bad" or "evil"?

So, I see no reason why we should interfere with the system. If you're a Christian, much like myself, you won't want to get in the way of God. If you're atheist, you wouldn't want to interfere with nature since good and evil is subjective.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
NomadJD
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:32:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 5:23:26 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
No. Just no. Ha.

I am a Christian, but I do believe in evolution.

I think let's just let things evolve how they're suppose to be. I don't think we should interfere with the system.

Besides, if there is no God, how can we say there are morales? How can there be good or bad? Good and bad is subjective. If there's no certain set of morales, how can we say that greed or lust or murder is "bad" or "evil"?

So, I see no reason why we should interfere with the system. If you're a Christian, much like myself, you won't want to get in the way of God. If you're atheist, you wouldn't want to interfere with nature since good and evil is subjective.

Even being an atheist, I stated specifically that wouldn't Eugenics be a direct tool received from god. If he believes we are doing something against him, I believe a direct stand against it, because he is pretty much the supreme leader of everything. And being an atheist, as I stated in the official debate: "I have two points to make. The first is that survival of the fittest (nature's law) states, simply that the best survive. So, Eugenics would be the purest form of this law. We would literally be making ourselves the best that could ever possibly live, which is what human nature dictates us to try to do. The second is that the reason we take a backseat to nature is because we don't understand it very deeply. We don't understand most of the systems that occur in nature so we simply say "Don't mess with Nature." But once you realize and understand nature to a far degree, you can tame Nature.
In the time Eugenics could be possible, it is also the time that ecology would be a very complete science and provide a deep understanding into Nature and our irrational fear of it."
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:36:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 5:32:35 PM, NomadJD wrote:
At 1/24/2011 5:23:26 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
No. Just no. Ha.

I am a Christian, but I do believe in evolution.

I think let's just let things evolve how they're suppose to be. I don't think we should interfere with the system.

Besides, if there is no God, how can we say there are morales? How can there be good or bad? Good and bad is subjective. If there's no certain set of morales, how can we say that greed or lust or murder is "bad" or "evil"?

So, I see no reason why we should interfere with the system. If you're a Christian, much like myself, you won't want to get in the way of God. If you're atheist, you wouldn't want to interfere with nature since good and evil is subjective.

Even being an atheist, I stated specifically that wouldn't Eugenics be a direct tool received from god. If he believes we are doing something against him, I believe a direct stand against it, because he is pretty much the supreme leader of everything

Yes, God would get in our way, but he's not dominating our lives. Just because he would stop us from destroying the world, he wouldn't stop us from ruining many lives.

And being an atheist, as I stated in the official debate: "I have two points to make. The first is that survival of the fittest (nature's law) states, simply that the best survive. So, Eugenics would be the purest form of this law. We would literally be making ourselves the best that could ever possibly live, which is what human nature dictates us to try to do. The second is that the reason we take a backseat to nature is because we don't understand it very deeply. We don't understand most of the systems that occur in nature so we simply say "Don't mess with Nature." But once you realize and understand nature to a far degree, you can tame Nature.
In the time Eugenics could be possible, it is also the time that ecology would be a very complete science and provide a deep understanding into Nature and our irrational fear of it."

I doubt it. I don't think we'll ever really understand nature. I don't think we would be given this technology for a reason. We could end up messing up and hurting a lot of people. It's not worth the risk. Evolution has worked for the last few billion years, so I say we should just keep letting it go on how it it.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:43:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
More effective to produce a virus that carries gene fixes for genetic problems than to spend all of our time regulating who mates . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
NomadJD
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:54:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am not talking about the regulation of mating, but the regulation of genes once the child has been conceived. The baby would still have individual properties. Eugenics would just clean up the human race and have it evolve much faster than it currently is. And I believe that if you are going to post a point, first check out the official debate that I posted previously.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:58:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 5:54:23 PM, NomadJD wrote:
I am not talking about the regulation of mating, but the regulation of genes once the child has been conceived. The baby would still have individual properties. Eugenics would just clean up the human race and have it evolve much faster than it currently is. And I believe that if you are going to post a point, first check out the official debate that I posted previously.

the study of methods of improving genetic qualities by selective breeding (especially as applied to human mating)
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The science of improving stock, whether human or animal; A social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary qualities through selective breeding
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eugenics

eugenic - pertaining to or causing improvement in the offspring produced
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

eugenic - of or relating to eugenics; relating or adapting to production of good offspring
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eugenic

from Greek eugenes meaning wellborn; The eugenics movement of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries sought to "improve" the human species and preserve racial "purity" through planned human breeding. ...
www.understandingrace.org/resources/glossary.html

The belief that information about heredity can be used to improve the human race.
www.ornl.gov/hgmis/publicat/genechoice/glossary.html

The practice of trying to influence human heredity by encouraging the transmission of 'desirable' characteristics and discouraging the transmission of 'undesirable' ones.
www.genetics.com.au/glossary/e.asp

Programs by which humans are carefully selected for breeding in order to maximize certain qualities. The German Nazi government instituted a Mutterkreuz (mother's cross) program which encouraged women to have many "Aryan" children, for which they could receive crosses.
www.translationdirectory.com/glossaries/glossary007_e.htm

Derived from Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest. The Nazis used false scientific arguments to discourage procreation by members who they considered were 'unfit' to live in society, either physically, mentally or socially.
www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/voices/ref/gloss/glossary.html

The scientific practice of "improving" a population or species by selective breeding or genetic engineering, to breed out "bad" traits and breed in "good" ones.
www.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415485395/glossary.asp

literally meaning "well born." Eugenics is a genetic and social theory whereby the human race is improved by selective reproduction whereby desireable characteristics are propogated and undesireable traits are eliminated.
www.uvm.edu/~cgep/Education/Glossary.html

the early twentieth century policy which aimed to improve the quality of the population by preventing "unfit" people from reproducing and encouraging "fit" people to reproduce. ...
www.antenataltesting.info/glossary.html

Literally "well born." The attempt of artificial selection towards a particular set of desired characteristics. ...
www.cap-lmu.de/fgz/portals/biotech/terminology.php

The application of the principles of genetics to the "improvement" of humankind.
www.fao.org/docrep/003/x3910e/x3910e08.htm

The study of the production of better offspring by the careful selection of parents.
nandankanan.tripod.com/scienceterms.htm

Use a virus . . . load it with proper genes . . . far more effective than eugenics . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:03:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 5:58:32 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 1/24/2011 5:54:23 PM, NomadJD wrote:
I am not talking about the regulation of mating, but the regulation of genes once the child has been conceived. The baby would still have individual properties. Eugenics would just clean up the human race and have it evolve much faster than it currently is. And I believe that if you are going to post a point, first check out the official debate that I posted previously.

the study of methods of improving genetic qualities by selective breeding (especially as applied to human mating)
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The science of improving stock, whether human or animal; A social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary qualities through selective breeding
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eugenics

eugenic - pertaining to or causing improvement in the offspring produced
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

eugenic - of or relating to eugenics; relating or adapting to production of good offspring
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eugenic

from Greek eugenes meaning wellborn; The eugenics movement of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries sought to "improve" the human species and preserve racial "purity" through planned human breeding. ...
www.understandingrace.org/resources/glossary.html

The belief that information about heredity can be used to improve the human race.
www.ornl.gov/hgmis/publicat/genechoice/glossary.html

The practice of trying to influence human heredity by encouraging the transmission of 'desirable' characteristics and discouraging the transmission of 'undesirable' ones.
www.genetics.com.au/glossary/e.asp

Programs by which humans are carefully selected for breeding in order to maximize certain qualities. The German Nazi government instituted a Mutterkreuz (mother's cross) program which encouraged women to have many "Aryan" children, for which they could receive crosses.
www.translationdirectory.com/glossaries/glossary007_e.htm

Derived from Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest. The Nazis used false scientific arguments to discourage procreation by members who they considered were 'unfit' to live in society, either physically, mentally or socially.
www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/voices/ref/gloss/glossary.html

The scientific practice of "improving" a population or species by selective breeding or genetic engineering, to breed out "bad" traits and breed in "good" ones.
www.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415485395/glossary.asp

literally meaning "well born." Eugenics is a genetic and social theory whereby the human race is improved by selective reproduction whereby desireable characteristics are propogated and undesireable traits are eliminated.
www.uvm.edu/~cgep/Education/Glossary.html

the early twentieth century policy which aimed to improve the quality of the population by preventing "unfit" people from reproducing and encouraging "fit" people to reproduce. ...
www.antenataltesting.info/glossary.html

Literally "well born." The attempt of artificial selection towards a particular set of desired characteristics. ...
www.cap-lmu.de/fgz/portals/biotech/terminology.php

The application of the principles of genetics to the "improvement" of humankind.
www.fao.org/docrep/003/x3910e/x3910e08.htm

The study of the production of better offspring by the careful selection of parents.
nandankanan.tripod.com/scienceterms.htm

Use a virus . . . load it with proper genes . . . far more effective than eugenics . . .

FYI those are the definitions of eugenics, eugenics is a branch of genetic engineering not the whole scope so please use correct terminology . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
NomadJD
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:07:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
eugenic - pertaining to or causing improvement in the offspring produced
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

See, "causing improvement in the offspring produced."

Also, the debate isn't about how the genetic modification is done. However, I was thinking that the best way of doing it would be using viruses.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:12:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 6:07:23 PM, NomadJD wrote:
eugenic - pertaining to or causing improvement in the offspring produced by regulation of pntal reproduction
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

See, "causing improvement in the offspring produced."

Also, the debate isn't about how the genetic modification is done. However, I was thinking that the best way of doing it would be using viruses.

Please say genetic engineering via virus not eugenics . . . and I agree we can remove most biological defects with the use o viruses and even stimulate the growth of organs and muscles by these viruses . . . imagine being able to cut off your hand and regrow it due to gmoding of humans . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
NomadJD
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:17:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Please say genetic engineering via virus not eugenics . . .

I understand what you mean, but it is 1. too late and 2. merely just more specific. While eugenics, can be specifically be attributed to people attempting to control the mating of a population, the more broad definition is just the control of the gene pool. But I do respect your opinion.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:28:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/24/2011 6:17:25 PM, NomadJD wrote:
Please say genetic engineering via virus not eugenics . . .

I understand what you mean, but it is 1. too late and 2. merely just more specific. While eugenics, can be specifically be attributed to people attempting to control the mating of a population, the more broad definition is just the control of the gene pool. But I do respect your opinion.

I use eugenics with my marijuana . . . only the highest can survive my inspections . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.