Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Dyslexia

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 9:47:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you know what DNA stands for?

I always thought it stood for National Dyslexics Association, but no, it actually stands for deoxyribonucleic acid.

Now, nobody would blame you if you misspelt that word but dyslexics can be really bright and capable people and yet not be able to spell quite straightforward words.

My Northern Irish girlfriend, for example, is a bit dyslexic but is really intelligent at the same time. However, my seven-year old niece could knock her into a cocked hat at a spelling contest.

And another thing: is there any such thing as Chinese dyslexia? Because they use characters rather than letters, I suppose not – I mean, you can't misspell "?" or "$" can you?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:20:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The only dyslexic I ever knew died of a heroine overdose.

....
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:22:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dyslexics do generally seem to have a higher than usual IQ, I suppose some aspect of improved wiring also carries with it a malfunction.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:26:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/26/2011 10:22:23 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Dyslexics do generally seem to have a higher than usual IQ, I suppose some aspect of improved wiring also carries with it a malfunction.

I had never heard that. Interesting.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:34:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/26/2011 10:26:57 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/26/2011 10:22:23 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Dyslexics do generally seem to have a higher than usual IQ, I suppose some aspect of improved wiring also carries with it a malfunction.

I had never heard that. Interesting.

This is not the best website to make the case with, but there does seem to be a lot of anecdotal evidence.
http://www.dyslexia.com...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:20:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/26/2011 10:22:23 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Dyslexics do generally seem to have a higher than usual IQ, I suppose some aspect of improved wiring also carries with it a malfunction.

or maybe our higher communicative abilitiy (being able to spell lol) is the improved wiring... monkeys have close to photographic memory... and i remember reading somewhere that we might've lost ours when we developed complex language... you know, seeing as we wouldn't really have needed it anymore.. efficiency!!!
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:23:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
also, did you hear about the dyslexic satanist? he sold his soul to santa :)

or a funnier one that only panda'd get probably.. did you hear about the dyslexic association's protest march on the dail? ...it was a disaster ...they all ended up outside aldi lol..
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:26:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
also, my mammy's a special needs teacher, and she thinks dyslexia stems from parents not being all that bothered about their kids reading, rather than some genetic difference... and i'd consider her a fairly smart woman.. and i'm not one for reading.. so...

maybe we started out as babies with photographic memories? ...that we lost with language?
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:27:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:20:30 PM, badger wrote:
At 1/26/2011 10:22:23 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Dyslexics do generally seem to have a higher than usual IQ, I suppose some aspect of improved wiring also carries with it a malfunction.

or maybe our higher communicative abilitiy (being able to spell lol) is the improved wiring... monkeys have close to photographic memory... and i remember reading somewhere that we might've lost ours when we developed complex language... you know, seeing as we wouldn't really have needed it anymore.. efficiency!!!

or possibly just updated software...?
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:44:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.

gotta link for that? sure it's not just something they're told to encourage them to try harder than all the other kids have to...?
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:48:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:44:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.

gotta link for that? sure it's not just something they're told to encourage them to try harder than all the other kids have to...?

i suppose it makes sense though.. darts players are lightning fast at simple maths..because they've played so much darts that is.. so exercising the brain makes it stronger.. no surprise really..
signature
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:49:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.

bullspit; source?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:42:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:48:17 PM, badger wrote:
At 1/27/2011 3:44:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.

gotta link for that? sure it's not just something they're told to encourage them to try harder than all the other kids have to...?

i suppose it makes sense though.. darts players are lightning fast at simple maths..because they've played so much darts that is.. so exercising the brain makes it stronger.. no surprise really..

Reckon that might be repetition. I can keep up in a game of 901 double in and out at 5am falling down drunk but I have a hard time with 6x8. 6x8 is pretty simple math.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:59:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 3:36:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Dyslexics who learn to read have been found to be smarter than average and the reason is theorized that they have to learn to read using much more brain-power. Instead of just looking at a word and recognizing it they have to actually think about it.

1. Reading skill is not a valid predictor in IQ tests for dyslexics.

2. Dyslexia is not just about 'words' - it's about faulty perception and processing, including concentration - a language disability is more accurate, making any IQ test result questionable when taken by dyslexics. It's a massive confound.

3. So when you say 'smarter', I have to wonder, how is it measured? :P
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I recall a TV interview with an obviously brilliant Mexican author. His dyslexia cause him to suffer severe headaches when reading. In his 20s a doctor suggested than he try reading through a sheet of yellow-tinted cellophane. That turned out to be a remarkable solution for him. It tells me that what's going on is not easy to understand.

Chinese has about 20,000 ideograms, but there are many more words than that. Two, three, or four ideograms may be used to represent a word. Words are written without spaces between them. TryreadingEnglishwithoutspaces -- it's possible.

Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests. That works because the rules for making the test are well-defied. This is like "length" being defined in comparison to a ruler. The results of IQ measurements are found to be useful predictors of some things. One of the first IQ tests was used to select pilots in WWI. Before 1992, the SAT was an IQ test.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 7:46:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests.
Says who? IQ tests have changed gradually, and they do not necessarily reflect one's intelligence. Do you know how many IQ tests measure your memory skills? Hardly any.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:08:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 7:46:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests.
Says who? IQ tests have changed gradually, and they do not necessarily reflect one's intelligence. Do you know how many IQ tests measure your memory skills? Hardly any.:

I think you're both alluding to the same thing -- that they measuring a conventional wisdom only.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:18:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Adult gold standard for IQ testing, the WISC has a the Working Memory Index composite score. Stanford-Binet, the best established battery test for IQ also has a working memory component.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:21:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 8:08:40 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I think you're both alluding to the same thing -- that they measuring a conventional wisdom only.

I don't think wisdom would be an appropriate term. IQ tests score on skill abilities designed to validly test the theories definition of IQ (it will differ some between theorists and consequently tests).
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:29:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 8:08:40 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/5/2011 7:46:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests.
Says who? IQ tests have changed gradually, and they do not necessarily reflect one's intelligence. Do you know how many IQ tests measure your memory skills? Hardly any.:

I think you're both alluding to the same thing -- that they measuring a conventional wisdom only.
Perhaps. While IQ tests give us fair reflections of some parts of our intelligence, and they give us good indications of how intelligent (not necessarily smart) people are, they do not reflect the entire intelligence of a person. The problem lies within the fact that we have not yet defined intelligence. We cannot conclude whether or not rapid talking is part of intelligence, remembering every single thing one understands is part of intelligence (because one might not easily understand things, and is ease with understanding part of intelligence?), and so forth. Memory plays a significant role in intelligence as far as I am concerned, yet it is not always easy to measure it. Sometimes one's lifestyle can have a negative impact on one's memory, reasoning, etc., that IQ tests do not reflect one's true intelligence whatsoever. Proper measurement of one's intelligence would be based on a general standard of what constitutes intelligence, standard of when a person has the best opportunity to reflect his intelligence (e.g., when he does not suffer from anxiety, which negatively impacts reasoning), and when we have standardized IQ tests, for the most part.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 9:04:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 7:46:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests.
Says who? IQ tests have changed gradually, and they do not necessarily reflect one's intelligence. Do you know how many IQ tests measure your memory skills? Hardly any.

I've read a half dozen books on the subject of intelligence, and the consensus is that IQ measures the ability to score well on IQ tests. That avoids saying what intelligence really is.

No one claims that IQ tests measure everything important. There are claims for multiply types of "intelligence." Probably the most well-established is crystallized versus liquid intelligence. Crystallized intelligence is claimed to be more aligned with applying established knowledge (and includes memory, such as tests of vocabulry) while liquid intelligence is oriented towards creative problem-solving.

Success, measured in various ways like number of published papers, number of patents, etc., correlates with IQ only up to about 130. A higher IQ does not correlate with more success. Clearly there s something other than IQ that's relevant. US Presidents are noted to have a high ability to work amid lots of conflicting data, an attribute not measured by IQ.

The web site of the Prometheus Society goes on endlessly about such stuff.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 9:20:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 9:04:07 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/5/2011 7:46:48 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:26:23 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Intelligence is the ability to score well on IQ tests.
Says who? IQ tests have changed gradually, and they do not necessarily reflect one's intelligence. Do you know how many IQ tests measure your memory skills? Hardly any.

I've read a half dozen books on the subject of intelligence, and the consensus is that IQ measures the ability to score well on IQ tests. That avoids saying what intelligence really is.
That is what we should know, but we have no general conclusion yet.