Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Counter effective?

lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 12:50:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How many agree that when you tell someone something is bad or ban it they will do it?

I ask because someone (vardas or kermit idk) disagreed that if you give a child a choice between cookies and chocolate for a snack and stress that they are not to eat fruits, fruits are unhealthy, addicting, and they are not to eat them (or at least strawberries or bananas, or any other one fruit type), and try to keep the fruit away from the child that the child will want to try fruit, at least once, and perhaps would end up ODing.

I know that's exactly what would happen with me, especially if logic, and such isn't applied, many disagree, I see loads of other people eating it, the fruit is being shunned on TV, and the biggest thing they can say as to why its bad is "it's bad, especially for young people. It should be banned. Down with the kiwi" or whatever.

So how counter effective is the anti-drug movement?
I know that kind of stuff doesn't work on me......or most of the people here (L, badger, Caramel, and all the other pot smokers on here...)
Is it only ineffective for those that think about it, or is it really the norm, that this sh!t doesn't work?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 1:06:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes, vardas was the one that originally was in favor of the position. However, he never made any argument. I on the other hand, agreed with vardas for the sake of arguing.

Whether banning an action would be effective is dependent on: what the benefits of the action is, how naive the person is, and how much truth there is to the harms.

A lot of people do marijuana because there are very little harms to it. There are other drugs that I have tried, because there were very little harms. I don't think I plan on doing ecstasy again, or at least not often, since I learned there is some truth in its harm.

However, I wouldn't smoke tobacco since there is more harm then benefit to me. I think heroin and meth would be fun, however they're so harmful I wouldn't even consider it.

Some people are especially naive, so they will believe lies. i find it ironic how people are firmly against marijuana yet binge drink. Children are especially prone to these lie. Hence why there aren't many children that smoke pot.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 1:15:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
well i didn't take drugs cos i was told not to anyway.. i used be very paranoid about drugs when i was 15, 16.. all my friends were takin' 'em by then and i wasn't.. besides the drink :) which lead to all my other drug taking over time..

drink is the real gateway drug! :)
signature
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 7:33:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 1:07:22 PM, nonentity wrote:
Did you say the child will OD on fruit?

Don't laugh. Its a serious risk.
I was 15 when i first met Jim. I don't really think I ever believed it was his real name. he used to hang around the school gates after school had finished. it started small; he would offer a strawberry or two, enough to whet my appetite. He intially charge low fees for the next step up; apples, but as soon as I was hooked raised the prices exorbitantly. I had to mug old ladies to get money to buy fruit.
By 17 I had OD'd twice on banannas.
I've now been in rehab for 6 months and havn't touched fruit since I've been here.
5 a day is evil propaganda spread by evil corporate fruit companies who want young children to get hooked.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 9:23:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 7:33:00 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 2/16/2011 1:07:22 PM, nonentity wrote:
Did you say the child will OD on fruit?

Don't laugh. Its a serious risk.
I was 15 when i first met Jim. I don't really think I ever believed it was his real name. he used to hang around the school gates after school had finished. it started small; he would offer a strawberry or two, enough to whet my appetite. He intially charge low fees for the next step up; apples, but as soon as I was hooked raised the prices exorbitantly. I had to mug old ladies to get money to buy fruit.
By 17 I had OD'd twice on banannas.
I've now been in rehab for 6 months and havn't touched fruit since I've been here.
5 a day is evil propaganda spread by evil corporate fruit companies who want young children to get hooked.

Literally the funniest thing I have ever read!
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 9:42:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 9:23:51 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/17/2011 7:33:00 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 2/16/2011 1:07:22 PM, nonentity wrote:
Did you say the child will OD on fruit?

Don't laugh. Its a serious risk.
I was 15 when i first met Jim. I don't really think I ever believed it was his real name. he used to hang around the school gates after school had finished. it started small; he would offer a strawberry or two, enough to whet my appetite. He intially charge low fees for the next step up; apples, but as soon as I was hooked raised the prices exorbitantly. I had to mug old ladies to get money to buy fruit.
By 17 I had OD'd twice on banannas.
I've now been in rehab for 6 months and havn't touched fruit since I've been here.
5 a day is evil propaganda spread by evil corporate fruit companies who want young children to get hooked.

Literally the funniest thing I have ever read!

fairly hilarious now in fairness.
signature