Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Do White People feel demonized by news media?

interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 4:21:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You are always hearing about how the Whites are holding the Blacks down.
Or you may even see something on the news about some Whites using
a racial slur or hanging nooses on a wall. No, we all know that there is
racism in every race. But listen to this. The media is about divide and conquer.
A lot of the hate you see in today's world is created by negative imagery, and
it is taught to people who are misguided and are followers, and do not
think for themselves. It is hate that is misplaced. It is indoctrinated.
It is spewed. And because we are human beings, we indirectly absorb these
negative things. And we use our anger and ignorance to try and come to terms
with our emotions. Now the media has a Black President to praise. However, it
is a two edged sword. Because some Whites feel ostracized or demonized by
minorities. It is not always their fault. And because of our horrid past and race relations, it is used to
divide. It being the ways of the staus quo. The media uses little soundbites
and negative images to distort the mind of the feeble and weak.
Do you Whites feel like you are being demonized by the news media ?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:11:15 PM
racism in every race. But listen to this. The media is about divide and conquer.:

Dividing what? Conquering what? Sounds conspiratorial.

Because some Whites feel ostracized or demonized by
minorities.:

It isn't minorities doing this, it's white people doing it to themselves out of misplaced guilt.

Do you Whites feel like you are being demonized by the news media ?:

The media's number one goal is ratings, which equals money via sponsorship. The media thrives on negativity and shock value to generate interest. I don't think there is anything particularly race related when it comes to the media. It simply seizes on the opportunity of racism to generate interest, which further generates capital.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 7:48:42 PM
At 2/16/2011 4:21:34 PM, interrogator wrote:

No, though people might complain that the media forces them to be "too PC."
President of DDO
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 8:22:11 PM
racism in every race. But listen to this. The media is about divide and conquer.
minorities. It is not always their fault. And because of our horrid past and race relations, it is used to

Not really. I don't watch much t.v., could you give some examples?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 8:43:45 PM
I believe this is about counter-racism exhibited by conservatives. Conservatives can tell something is wrong with the world, unfortunately not a one can articulate it properly so while they have a legitimate point IMO, they always end up playing jack-a55es and explaining it wrong.

Why not a white history month? Why is "______ PRIDE" alright unless the word is white? The answer that conservatives usually give is that we should have the right to do everything blacks and other races do, which plays along nicely with their nationalist platform (waving the flag in people's faces). But the answer they cannot seem to find is that it isn't right for minorities to do this either. Singling blacks or natives out for special celebration is a blatant act of pride and is immoral. When you single one race out it is racist. If you hold up one race, it is relatively the same as trying to hold down all others.

There are lots of American Indians around Green Bay and they have "NATIVE PRIDE" bumper stickers and if there was a way of me telling them about how ignorant that is then I would, but alas I would only attract ignorant scorn so why bother?
no comment
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 11:52:50 PM
Nope, I love black people, alot of my friiends are minorities, plus its the media, I mean lets be serious, who even trusts/listens to them anymore.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 11:30:13 AM
Why should I?
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 12:57:36 PM
I have trouble remembering that Obama is Black. If you ask me, I know, of course, but it's irrelevant, so I don't care. Are you aware that LBJ and Bush the Elder were really tall? Or that James Madison was really short? Even if you know, it doesn't enter into one's thinking.

Human's get theories and then rationalize them. If a person believes something, then all the evidence supporting the theory counts and contrary evidence does not count. Racists are not a shy bunch; they are proud of their beliefs. Polls are therefor good indicators. Racism exists, but it's not a very strong force in our present society. Obama had a 70% approval rating at one point, and there is no evidence that the 30% indifferent or disapproving were predominantly racist.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:49:48 PM
At 2/16/2011 8:43:45 PM, Caramel wrote:
I believe this is about counter-racism exhibited by conservatives. Conservatives can tell something is wrong with the world, unfortunately not a one can articulate it properly so while they have a legitimate point IMO, they always end up playing jack-a55es and explaining it wrong.

Why not a white history month? Why is "______ PRIDE" alright unless the word is white? The answer that conservatives usually give is that we should have the right to do everything blacks and other races do, which plays along nicely with their nationalist platform (waving the flag in people's faces). But the answer they cannot seem to find is that it isn't right for minorities to do this either. Singling blacks or natives out for special celebration is a blatant act of pride and is immoral. When you single one race out it is racist. If you hold up one race, it is relatively the same as trying to hold down all others.

There are lots of American Indians around Green Bay and they have "NATIVE PRIDE" bumper stickers and if there was a way of me telling them about how ignorant that is then I would, but alas I would only attract ignorant scorn so why bother?

Hater
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:20:54 AM
At 2/16/2011 8:43:45 PM, Caramel wrote:

Are you American? Did you go through an American school? Because if you did you would have studied history and well.......its all about white people. And you are saying it's racist to give minorities a month? People who have been oppressed or robbed of their land? Also you have every right to be proud of who you are. The reason there is no "white power" is because white people ruined it for themselves. ok ok lets take the Swastika for example. As soon as you see it you immediately think of Nazi Germany the extermination of the Jews and all that but in reality the swastika was used thousands of years ago by eastern religions specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. Now the swastika's rep is tarnished. In Germany you will be arrested if you wear one. Same thing with white power. There probably was a non-violent group shouting "white power" but you wouldn't know it because the KKK made a bigger splash.

Well you'd be the ignorant one because you'd basically be saying "Hey you can't be happy with who you are. That's racist"
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:46:13 AM
The media is about divide and conquer.

As much as I agree with the idea that divide and conquer is being used against us, it's idiotic to think that the media can "conquer" us. That's retarded.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:59:10 AM
At 2/19/2011 5:46:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The media is about divide and conquer.

As much as I agree with the idea that divide and conquer is being used against us, it's idiotic to think that the media can "conquer" us. That's retarded.

You are absolutely correct. Why conquer what you can control? Big Brother doesn't need to watch us if he can tell us what to think.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:30:22 AM
Are you American? Did you go through an American school? Because if you did you would have studied history and well.......its all about white people. And you are saying it's racist to give minorities a month?:

He's saying that separating yourself by race only leads to more racism. Why be hyphenated Americans when we could just be Americans?

Also you have every right to be proud of who you are. The reason there is no "white power" is because white people ruined it for themselves.:

All racial pride is useless. You didn't choose what race you were to become, which means it isn't an accomplishment. You literally did nothing, in the strongest sense of the word, to be whatever race you are. Therefore I don't see the need or the justification to be "proud" of one's racial heritage.

Well you'd be the ignorant one because you'd basically be saying "Hey you can't be happy with who you are. That's racist":

Does your race identify you as who you are?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:32:05 PM
At 2/20/2011 8:30:22 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Are you American? Did you go through an American school? Because if you did you would have studied history and well.......its all about white people. And you are saying it's racist to give minorities a month?:

He's saying that separating yourself by race only leads to more racism. Why be hyphenated Americans when we could just be Americans?
Would that get rid of races? I mean why not just skip it all and call ourselves human. No more separation based on the shape of your eyes, color of skin, or where you born. Otherwise we still have races just fewer like American, Canadian, Russian, etc etc. Suppose I robbed a Bank. How would the witnesses ID me? "Uh yeah it was this one....dark-skinned fellow"

Also you have every right to be proud of who you are. The reason there is no "white power" is because white people ruined it for themselves.:

All racial pride is useless. You didn't choose what race you were to become, which means it isn't an accomplishment. You literally did nothing, in the strongest sense of the word, to be whatever race you are. Therefore I don't see the need or the justification to be "proud" of one's racial heritage.
What the fucc? HAHAHAHAHA. No one is saying it's a personal achievement. It's more saying "I'm completely happy with who I am". It's that simple. And yes there are those who are not happy with what race they are. Yelling "BLANK-PRIDE" is just a way to say "I'm not one of them"

Well you'd be the ignorant one because you'd basically be saying "Hey you can't be happy with who you are. That's racist":

Sadly, yes it does. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Now I know what you mean, "Does you race affect your personality?" And no it doesn't but my race still identifies me with who I am. It's on my birth certificate, any government form I fill out or hell every state issued test from 1st grade through 12th. Am I wrong for just embracing who I am? Embracing that I'm the descendant of slaves? The descendant of people who couldn't get a proper education just 50 years ago? Because there is no way having uneducated parents could affect the child or grandchild right? I live in Hawaii. Do the best houses and properties go to the Hawaiians? Nope. Military. Sacred ground has been blasted apart to make way for highways, or military-only access roads. And it's stupid if we embrace that?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:42:03 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:32:05 PM, MarquisX wrote:

Sadly, yes it does. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Now I know what you mean, "Does you race affect your personality?" And no it doesn't but my race still identifies me with who I am. It's on my birth certificate, any government form I fill out or hell every state issued test from 1st grade through 12th. Am I wrong for just embracing who I am? Embracing that I'm the descendant of slaves? The descendant of people who couldn't get a proper education just 50 years ago? Because there is no way having uneducated parents could affect the child or grandchild right? I live in Hawaii. Do the best houses and properties go to the Hawaiians? Nope. Military. Sacred ground has been blasted apart to make way for highways, or military-only access roads. And it's stupid if we embrace that?

Sadly, some would call you an Uncle Tom for bowing to the establishment and playing along for the sake of appeasement.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:45:14 PM
Would that get rid of races? I mean why not just skip it all and call ourselves human. No more separation based on the shape of your eyes, color of skin, or where you born. Otherwise we still have races just fewer like American, Canadian, Russian, etc etc. Suppose I robbed a Bank. How would the witnesses ID me? "Uh yeah it was this one....dark-skinned fellow":

It doesn't mean we have to pretend it doesn't exist, just not applaud it as if it were some kind of accomplishment.

All racial pride is useless. You didn't choose what race you were to become, which means it isn't an accomplishment. You literally did nothing, in the strongest sense of the word, to be whatever race you are. Therefore I don't see the need or the justification to be "proud" of one's racial heritage.::

What the fucc? HAHAHAHAHA. No one is saying it's a personal achievement.:

Then what's there to be prideful about? It's incidental. It's as incidental as being born male or female.

It's more saying "I'm completely happy with who I am". It's that simple.:

But what does race have to do with one's happiness?

Sadly, yes it does. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Now I know what you mean, "Does you race affect your personality?" And no it doesn't but my race still identifies me with who I am. It's on my birth certificate, any government form I fill out or hell every state issued test from 1st grade through 12th. Am I wrong for just embracing who I am?:

I assume you are a whole lot more than just a black man. I feel sorry for anyone encapsulated by their race.

Embracing that I'm the descendant of slaves? The descendant of people who couldn't get a proper education just 50 years ago? Because there is no way having uneducated parents could affect the child or grandchild right? I live in Hawaii. Do the best houses and properties go to the Hawaiians? Nope. Military. Sacred ground has been blasted apart to make way for highways, or military-only access roads. And it's stupid if we embrace that?:

I think so, yes. I think it causes division unnecessarily. It certainly doesn't unite anything. And if you go back to Martin Luther King, his central message was to treat everyone by the content of their character, not what you look like (you know, who you really are, not merely what you look like). It wasn't until more extreme messages infiltrated the movement did we see a form of counter-racism. That doesn't do any good. That just validates the racists in the first place.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:53:23 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:42:03 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:32:05 PM, MarquisX wrote:

Sadly, some would call you an Uncle Tom for bowing to the establishment and playing along for the sake of appeasement.
Hahaha. Yeah I guess I am. Rather than "sticking it to the man" by selling drugs to my own people, I became a productive member of society but not to please white people, but because I like flying helicopters and making money without the fear of going to prison. The real Uncle Tom are the rappers who sing and dance for white people's amusement. "Now come on everybody, let's make cocaine cool
We need a few more half naked women up in the pool
And hold this MAC-10 that's all covered in jewels
And can you please put your titties closer to the 22s?
And where's the champagne? We need champagne
Now look as hard as you can with this blunt in your hand
And now hold up your chain slow motion through the flames
Now cue the smoke machines and the simulated rain" Little Lupe Fiasco for you. They call him an Uncle Tom too.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:06:49 PM
At 2/20/2011 7:45:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Would that get rid of races? I mean why not just skip it all and call ourselves human. No more separation based on the shape of your eyes, color of skin, or where you born. Otherwise we still have races just fewer like American, Canadian, Russian, etc etc. Suppose I robbed a Bank. How would the witnesses ID me? "Uh yeah it was this one....dark-skinned fellow":

It doesn't mean we have to pretend it doesn't exist, just not applaud it as if it were some kind of accomplishment.
No one does. Being a minority doesn't mean you get some plaque for being one. Race is there. You can't ignore it.

All racial pride is useless. You didn't choose what race you were to become, which means it isn't an accomplishment. You literally did nothing, in the strongest sense of the word, to be whatever race you are. Therefore I don't see the need or the justification to be "proud" of one's racial heritage.::

What the fucc? HAHAHAHAHA. No one is saying it's a personal achievement.:

Then what's there to be prideful about? It's incidental. It's as incidental as being born male or female.
And there are people who are proud of being male or female. Ask any feminist. Or a gay person. Unless you believe being gay is a choice. You are just not quite understanding what it means. And that's not your fault.

It's more saying "I'm completely happy with who I am". It's that simple.:

But what does race have to do with one's happiness?
What? Nothing. Again you don't understand you I don't think you ever can. It's about not being ashamed that you are black or latino or again gay.

Sadly, yes it does. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Now I know what you mean, "Does you race affect your personality?" And no it doesn't but my race still identifies me with who I am. It's on my birth certificate, any government form I fill out or hell every state issued test from 1st grade through 12th. Am I wrong for just embracing who I am?:

I assume you are a whole lot more than just a black man. I feel sorry for anyone encapsulated by their race.
Me too. But I don't let my race affect my choices in anything. Have you ever been in interracial relationship? Been with my wife for three and a half years now, and we are an interracial couple. Not for the sake of being interracial though. We almost never notice it. The only time we do is when someone points it out. Or the stares hahaha you would not believe the stares we get in public. It's not me drawing attention to my race but it is who I am. And I won't deny it.

Embracing that I'm the descendant of slaves? The descendant of people who couldn't get a proper education just 50 years ago? Because there is no way having uneducated parents could affect the child or grandchild right? I live in Hawaii. Do the best houses and properties go to the Hawaiians? Nope. Military. Sacred ground has been blasted apart to make way for highways, or military-only access roads. And it's stupid if we embrace that?:

I think so, yes. I think it causes division unnecessarily. It certainly doesn't unite anything. And if you go back to Martin Luther King, his central message was to treat everyone by the content of their character, not what you look like (you know, who you really are, not merely what you look like). It wasn't until more extreme messages infiltrated the movement did we see a form of counter-racism. That doesn't do any good. That just validates the racists in the first place.
You are absolutely correct. That was his message. And I never said anyone should be treated differently because of their race. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with not being ashamed of being who you are. Even if you are white. You're asking people to forget their culture, their heritage, so you can feel more comfortable.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:17:21 PM
Being a minority doesn't mean you get some plaque for being one. Race is there. You can't ignore it.:

That doesn't answer the fundamental question. What about race is there to be proud about? It's inherently exclusionary, is it not? You can't take part because you're not one of us. It creates an "Us vs Them" mentality -- the very mentality that got us in the problem to begin with. Think about. If that doesn't sound problematic to you, then perhaps you're part of the problem.

And there are people who are proud of being male or female. Ask any feminist. Or a gay person. Unless you believe being gay is a choice. You are just not quite understanding what it means. And that's not your fault.:

I do understand what it means, I fear they don't. Just to let you know, I think gay pride is just as useless. I don't like pride that isn't around individual accomplishments.

Have you ever been in interracial relationship?:

Not a relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend), but I've been with women of various races and ethnicities.

Been with my wife for three and a half years now, and we are an interracial couple. Not for the sake of being interracial though. We almost never notice it. The only time we do is when someone points it out. Or the stares hahaha you would not believe the stares we get in public. It's not me drawing attention to my race but it is who I am. And I won't deny it.:

I don't see how this ties in to the current conversation.

You are absolutely correct. That was his message. And I never said anyone should be treated differently because of their race. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with not being ashamed of being who you are. Even if you are white. You're asking people to forget their culture, their heritage, so you can feel more comfortable.:

It's not about me or you, but the collective. And I don't see racial pride as being "not ashamed of who you are." You shouldn't be ashamed of you who you were born as, regardless, seems to me.

But if you don't believe me, go to a White Pride rally and then tell me how it's simply about heritage and pride. It looks to me to be about hate, and I don't want any part of that nonsense.

And, no, I'm not suggesting that black pride or samoan pride or whatever is inherently racist, but it is exclusionary, and it does divide. You belong over there, and we belong over here. I see that as endemic of the overall problem.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:28:55 PM
At 2/20/2011 8:17:21 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
It creates an "Us vs Them" mentality -- the very mentality that got us in the problem to begin with. Think about. If that doesn't sound problematic to you, then perhaps you're part of the problem.

I used to think about this the same way, but have since shifted my perspective. This isn't necessarily true anyway. The "Us vs. Them" mentality you are referencing is actually Us > Them, which is not the type of "pride" Marquis is talking about. If you look up proud in the dictionary, it doesn't only refer to accomplishment but ultimately satisfaction or gratification. If I say I'm proud to be gay, it's essentially the same as saying I'm content being that way. I'm not implying superiority in any way, and that's actually the mentality that "got us to that problem to begin with."

And to MarquisX -- yes I know what it's like to get stared at in public being with someone I'm dating. I've had things thrown at me before, taunted incessantly and worse. It sucks, but good for you and I hope you and your wife are happy :) Hope her pregnancy is going well btw. And good Lupe point :)
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:32:02 PM
At 2/20/2011 8:06:49 PM, MarquisX wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:45:14 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

And there are people who are proud of being male or female. Ask any feminist. Or a gay person. Unless you believe being gay is a choice. You are just not quite understanding what it means. And that's not your fault.

I don't feel proud of being male. I feel lucky at times especially walking around at night, but I don't take any pride in it. I take pride in things like being a good Dad.. etc. (That was an arbitrary example and I am not insinuating anything by it btw.)
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:38:52 PM
Being a minority doesn't mean you get some plaque for being one. Race is there. You can't ignore it.:

That doesn't answer the fundamental question. What about race is there to be proud about? It's inherently exclusionary, is it not? You can't take part because you're not one of us. It creates an "Us vs Them" mentality -- the very mentality that got us in the problem to begin with. Think about. If that doesn't sound problematic to you, then perhaps you're part of the problem.
Will people please stop with that "Us vs Them" mentality bullcrap? Let's ban sports teams, video games, countries and money for that matter then. I'm not saying it's not a problem. I wish everyone could get along I just don't like it being dumped on one thing only.

And there are people who are proud of being male or female. Ask any feminist. Or a gay person. Unless you believe being gay is a choice. You are just not quite understanding what it means. And that's not your fault.:

I do understand what it means, I fear they don't. Just to let you know, I think gay pride is just as useless. I don't like pride that isn't around individual accomplishments.
I see what the problem is. You see the word pride and you think of it as hubris. It's not the same thing man.

Have you ever been in interracial relationship?:

Not a relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend), but I've been with women of various races and ethnicities.

Been with my wife for three and a half years now, and we are an interracial couple. Not for the sake of being interracial though. We almost never notice it. The only time we do is when someone points it out. Or the stares hahaha you would not believe the stares we get in public. It's not me drawing attention to my race but it is who I am. And I won't deny it.:

I don't see how this ties in to the current conversation.
You don't? You said I didn't see myself as more than just a black man because I said my race identifies me. The point of that story is to tell you that it's not me that identifies myself as different but others. Ok if you went to a family dinner and you saw me sitting at the table your immediate thought would be "Ok who's the black guy?" I know you going to say "*GASP* I WOULD NEVER" but you would because that is literally how the human brain is wired. To spot the different people. It's a survival mechanism. I'm saying I don't pay attention to the color of my skin. Everyone else does.

You are absolutely correct. That was his message. And I never said anyone should be treated differently because of their race. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with not being ashamed of being who you are. Even if you are white. You're asking people to forget their culture, their heritage, so you can feel more comfortable.:

It's not about me or you, but the collective. And I don't see racial pride as being "not ashamed of who you are." You shouldn't be ashamed of you who you were born as, regardless, seems to me.

But if you don't believe me, go to a White Pride rally and then tell me how it's simply about heritage and pride. It looks to me to be about hate, and I don't want any part of that nonsense.
hahaha whoa. Ok no. You know next to nothing about culture. If you go to bar mitzvahs you don't see "F*ck the Germans" written on the wall ok? Likewise an Indian wedding, you won't see "INDIANS ARE THE GREATEST". Having racial pride has nothing to do with saying "I'm better because I'm Mexican" It's more like "I am Mexican. If you don't like it, tough titty"

And, no, I'm not suggesting that black pride or samoan pride or whatever is inherently racist, but it is exclusionary, and it does divide. You belong over there, and we belong over here. I see that as endemic of the overall problem.
Again you simply don't understand it.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:40:31 PM
At 2/20/2011 8:28:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It creates an "Us vs Them" mentality -- the very mentality that got us in the problem to begin with. Think about. If that doesn't sound problematic to you, then perhaps you're part of the problem.

I used to think about this the same way, but have since shifted my perspective. This isn't necessarily true anyway. The "Us vs. Them" mentality you are referencing is actually Us > Them, which is not the type of "pride" Marquis is talking about. If you look up proud in the dictionary, it doesn't only refer to accomplishment but ultimately satisfaction or gratification. If I say I'm proud to be gay, it's essentially the same as saying I'm content being that way. I'm not implying superiority in any way, and that's actually the mentality that "got us to that problem to begin with."

And to MarquisX -- yes I know what it's like to get stared at in public being with someone I'm dating. I've had things thrown at me before, taunted incessantly and worse. It sucks, but good for you and I hope you and your wife are happy :) Hope her pregnancy is going well btw. And good Lupe point :)
Lol thanks but she is no longer pregnant. My son was born 12/29. Just haven't got around to changing it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:52:49 PM
I used to think about this the same way, but have since shifted my perspective. This isn't necessarily true anyway. The "Us vs. Them" mentality you are referencing is actually Us > Them, which is not the type of "pride" Marquis is talking about.:

I know he doesn't mean it that way, I'm simply stating that it is inherently exclusionary, whether it's meant to be or not.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:55:37 PM
At 2/20/2011 8:52:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I used to think about this the same way, but have since shifted my perspective. This isn't necessarily true anyway. The "Us vs. Them" mentality you are referencing is actually Us > Them, which is not the type of "pride" Marquis is talking about.:

I know he doesn't mean it that way, I'm simply stating that it is inherently exclusionary, whether it's meant to be or not.

Maybe a concession is in order?
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 11:30:41 PM

Yes, especially if you hear MSNBC. 2 Years ago, over a span of 4 months they didn't advertise 1 murder case in which a black man committed a crime.

The answer to this is, most definitely! I believe its more of a mixture of white guilt and that stupid political correctness ideology that are being mixed together which create this.