Dehumanization

CrzyDrumlineChic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 5:17:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you believe that women are the worlds next "plaything?"
Do you think that Women are being dehumanized for our bodies and sex appeal?

Just want to hear some opinions. I think women are being dehumanized through media mainly, and we are now seeing the consequences through the reverberation of our youth.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 5:51:20 PM
I definitely agree. Women are very dehumanized and this has almost always been the case. Media just makes it worse though. I always think women are pressured to think and act a certain way due to how the media portrays them.

*inb4 mirza blames media for prostitution*
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 5:57:41 PM
At 2/16/2011 5:51:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I definitely agree. Women are very dehumanized and this has almost always been the case. Media just makes it worse though. I always think women are pressured to think and act a certain way due to how the media portrays them.

So women have no individuality?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:00:03 PM
At 2/16/2011 5:17:35 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
Do you think that Women are being dehumanized for our bodies and sex appeal?

Does it not happen to men aswell? Are women's magazines not filed with images on "hot" guys? Sure they aren't being as "sexed up" as in men's magizines, but they are still being protrayed as eye candy.

I know this, considering my wife has a 3 foot poster of a topless Talyor Laughtner in the closet, hidden behind her hanging shirts.

Just want to hear some opinions. I think women are being dehumanized through media mainly, and we are now seeing the consequences through the reverberation of our youth.

Woman are being dehumanized less and less, when you compare to 30 years ago, and 60 years ago, and 90 years ago.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:01:20 PM
At 2/16/2011 5:57:41 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

I don't know, I can't even think right now. I should just stop posting for right now until I'm running on a proper amount of sleep...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:10:48 PM

It is called influence.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:11:16 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:00:03 PM, OreEle wrote:
Woman are being dehumanized less and less, when you compare to 30 years ago, and 60 years ago, and 90 years ago.
By force, yes. By influence, no.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:15:09 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:11:16 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/16/2011 6:00:03 PM, OreEle wrote:
By force, yes. By influence, no.

They are less and less by influence as well.

What was the media telling every little girl they had to be when they grew up back in the 40's? What do they tell them now?
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:15:13 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:10:48 PM, Mirza wrote:

It is called influence.

In that case then men have also been dehumanized. Everyone has individuality, but since the media tends to portray the "perfect male/female", many men/women strive to be that "perfect figure". Which leads to dehumanization because everyone is losing their individuality because everyone is striving to be this one "perfect" idea. But their are still those tons of people that don't try to be that "perfect" figure, but are quite content being themselves
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:17:11 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:15:09 PM, OreEle wrote:

What was the media telling every little girl they had to be when they grew up back in the 40's? What do they tell them now?
A few more things, and some which tend to be impractical. The influence upon women in older days was realistic in the sense that it was leading to something real. What females get influence by today makes them fantasize and strive to achieve the (usually) impossible.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:17:36 PM
At 2/16/2011 5:17:35 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
Do you think that Women are being dehumanized for our bodies and sex appeal?:

There's nothing new under the sun. Sex sells and always has, presumably always will. History teaches that both men and women have objectified one another. In Greek and Roman society, it was common for aristocratic women to have young males as play toys (sex slaves) to sexually gratify them. So did the men.

I think women are being dehumanized through media mainly, and we are now seeing the consequences through the reverberation of our youth.:

I think you're being a little extreme about it. How are women being dehumanized?

Sure, one could make the argument that young girls have a distorted image of they're supposed to be due to various media outlets. I wouldn't say that is dehumanizing them. The inverse is also true for men too. If anything, I think society views woman as woman more than ever before. They can vote, speak their mind, be on equal terms with now, etc.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:17:49 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:15:13 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

It is called influence.

In that case then men have also been dehumanized.
The topic is about women.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:19:29 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:17:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/16/2011 6:15:13 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

It is called influence.

In that case then men have also been dehumanized.
The topic is about women.

You know their was more to that post than the statement about men also being dehumanized. I don't care if the "topic" is about women being dehumanized, I felt compelled to throw that fact in as well.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:20:22 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:17:11 PM, Mirza wrote:

A few more things, and some which tend to be impractical. The influence upon women in older days was realistic in the sense that it was leading to something real. What females get influence by today makes them fantasize and strive to achieve the (usually) impossible.

Today's media gives them more "options" not telling them to be all of them. How many messages are there out there telling kids to "be yourself" (this goes for both boys and girls)? You'll see it everywhere on Disney and Nick.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:21:29 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:20:22 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/16/2011 6:17:11 PM, Mirza wrote:

Today's media gives them more "options" not telling them to be all of them. How many messages are there out there telling kids to "be yourself" (this goes for both boys and girls)? You'll see it everywhere on Disney and Nick.
That does not negate the fact that there is still a lot of negative influence going on, and it is prevalent.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:22:30 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:19:29 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
You know their was more to that post than the statement about men also being dehumanized. I don't care if the "topic" is about women being dehumanized, I felt compelled to throw that fact in as well.
Indeed, but the topic is about women being dehumanized. Sure, men are too. I did not deny that. The rest of your post does not negate this fact anyway.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:23:32 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:20:22 PM, OreEle wrote:

There's also alot of kids, young girls especially who dress in skimpy clothes because dolls like Barbie and Bratz do. If that's not influence I don't know what is.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:25:06 PM
That does not negate the fact that there is still a lot of negative influence going on, and it is prevalent.:

The question was whether or not the media is specifically "dehumanizing" women, not whether some negative messages exist.

Forcing woman to cover their entire body, consigning them to only a few roles in life, is dehumanizing women.

It turns them in to walking incubators rather than, you know, people.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:26:24 PM
There's also alot of kids, young girls especially who dress in skimpy clothes because dolls like Barbie and Bratz do. If that's not influence I don't know what is.:

Very true, but both men and women have always been influenced by their culture. The question is whether or not it is dehumanizing them.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:26:57 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:25:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The question was whether or not the media is specifically "dehumanizing" women, not whether some negative messages exist.
Everyone knows that the role of the media is not to dehumanize women. The question at hand is what kind of a role it plays in it, and at what scale.

Forcing woman to cover their entire body, consigning them to only a few roles in life, is dehumanizing women.

It turns them in to walking incubators rather than, you know, people.
Force is not only happening by law. But sure, believe in whatever you wish. We can see who is more dehumanized.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:28:17 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:26:24 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
There's also alot of kids, young girls especially who dress in skimpy clothes because dolls like Barbie and Bratz do. If that's not influence I don't know what is.:

Very true, but both men and women have always been influenced by their culture. The question is whether or not it is dehumanizing them.
When the severity reaches to the level that it makes people long for death, then it is dehumanization. Also, be more flexible with your perception of words.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:32:55 PM
Everyone knows that the role of the media is not to dehumanize women. The question at hand is what kind of a role it plays in it, and at what scale.:

No, the question was whether or not it dehumanizes them. I invite you to re-read the OP

Force is not only happening by law. But sure, believe in whatever you wish. We can see who is more dehumanized.:

Shari'a = the law
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:34:07 PM
When the severity reaches to the level that it makes people long for death, then it is dehumanization.:

Long for death?

Also, be more flexible with your perception of words.:

I apologize for using words in their proper context. My bad.
CrzyDrumlineChic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:34:17 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:17:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

There's nothing new under the sun. Sex sells and always has, presumably always will. History teaches that both men and women have objectified one another. In Greek and Roman society, it was common for aristocratic women to have young males as play toys (sex slaves) to sexually gratify them. So did the men.

I think women are being dehumanized through media mainly, and we are now seeing the consequences through the reverberation of our youth.:

I think you're being a little extreme about it. How are women being dehumanized?

Through the influence of the media is how they are being dehumanized. As several other posters have pointed out that media is centering its attention on youth. Brats dolls and barbie doll clothes are getting skimpier and skimpier, and so are girls clothes under 12.

Also for sports is another example. As you said earlier sex sells, I do agree with this fact, but it is in fact another exmple of dehumanization. For example, how manysports comercials can you spot that do not have beautiful women or beautiful women all over a man, saying buy this! etc.

Not many.

Sure, one could make the argument that young girls have a distorted image of they're supposed to be due to various media outlets. I wouldn't say that is dehumanizing them. The inverse is also true for men too. If anything, I think society views woman as woman more than ever before. They can vote, speak their mind, be on equal terms with now, etc.

But if we keep letting this distorted image go unchecked, kids will no longer be kids. Sexuality is not meant for 12 year olds...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:35:03 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:32:55 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
No, the question was whether or not it dehumanizes them. I invite you to re-read the OP
Yes, and by doing that it does not have to do it for any specific purpose. If its content if filled with influence that dehumanizes women, then the media does dehumanize women. People kill people even if the goal of humanity is not to kill people.

Shari'a = the law
"The Path" - it is not a political law in the first place.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:38:51 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:34:07 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Long for death?
Yes, a paraphrased version of wishing to die. Many young females commit suicide due to negative societal (hereby media) influence. They think that they cannot be respected without being beautiful on the skin. They think that they cannot be loved by someone they like if they are not as pretty as the cosmetic robots they watch on television, Internet, or other phenomena. It is a fact. Then there are other things, but these are horrendous enough to be mentioned in standalone.

I apologize for using words in their proper context. My bad.
No, you either misunderstood my intent of explaining that the role of the media does not have to be dehumanization of women in order for it to be able to dehumanize them anyway, or you simply perceive the word incorrectly.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:44:25 PM
Through the influence of the media is how they are being dehumanized. As several other posters have pointed out that media is centering its attention on youth. Brats dolls and barbie doll clothes are getting skimpier and skimpier, and so are girls clothes under 12.:

Are men dehumanized for being preened as war machines with glorification of violence? I find it odd that fashion = dehumanization but the glorification of violence doesn't.

Also for sports is another example. As you said earlier sex sells, I do agree with this fact, but it is in fact another exmple of dehumanization. For example, how manysports comercials can you spot that do not have beautiful women or beautiful women all over a man, saying buy this! etc.:

I invite you in to any grocery store in America, specifically at the check-out line. There you will find a host of female magazines displayed prominently. In those magazines are lewd images of men and articles on sex with men. Are men also dehumanized or is it appealing to the sexual demographic of heterosexual women?

But if we keep letting this distorted image go unchecked, kids will no longer be kids. Sexuality is not meant for 12 year olds...:

Look, I have an 11 year-old daughter and I'm certainly not saying that I'm going to run out and buy Penthouse for her, and I too am disturbed by Bratz and Barbie's overt sexual content. Be that as it may, I think you forget just how much women play a part in all this, quite naturally. Are women therefore dehumanizing themselves?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:47:26 PM
Shari'a = the law
"The Path" - it is not a political law in the first place.:

It's a moral law, a law nonetheless. My central point is that it forces upon people specific gender roles which they cannot legally deviate from.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:48:37 PM
At 2/16/2011 6:47:26 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Shari'a = the law
"The Path" - it is not a political law in the first place.:

It's a moral law, a law nonetheless. My central point is that it forces upon people specific gender roles which they cannot legally deviate from.
No. It is optional. It exists without politics (as has been the case when it was being made use of in its early era).