Jump to topic:

Walmart hate

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:40:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We've heard it all before. Walmart is terrible, it exploits its workers, it destroys small businesses, etc.

I don't find the claims against Wal-Mart very compelling, and neither do Penn & Teller. But perhaps you can persuade me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:47:50 PM
The claims are true to a certain extent. In the town I used to live in they recently got a Wal-Mart and the small businesses are literally virtually dead since everybody just shops at Wal-Mart now. Also, I think there was a Wal-Mart in Quebec a few years ago that shut down because their workers wanted to unionize. These may just be a few isolated incidents though, I would have to do more research.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:57:57 PM
I know it's ridiculous that people don't support monopolies?
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:58:33 PM
The complaints about Walmart are true, but it does also provide benefits. If you dont like it, dont shop there. I dont.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:01:46 PM
At 2/19/2011 7:57:57 PM, Anarcho wrote:

It's not a monopoly. A true monopoly can forcefully exclude competition, WalMart beats competition by offering the same goods at better prices. They have monopoly power in the sense that Google does--but no one cares, because they give tons of great stuff for free/low prices.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:02:03 PM
Also, http://mises.org...

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:11:39 PM
At 2/19/2011 7:47:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
The claims are true to a certain extent. In the town I used to live in they recently got a Wal-Mart and the small businesses are literally virtually dead since everybody just shops at Wal-Mart now.:

Then it would behoove those businesses to compete. At the end of the day the only real objection seems to be envy of their success.

Also, I think there was a Wal-Mart in Quebec a few years ago that shut down because their workers wanted to unionize.:

Unions = parasites that kill the host. Don't believe me, go to Detroit some time.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 8:13:27 PM
I know it's ridiculous that people don't support monopolies?:

Target? K-Mart? Costco?

It's not a monopoly and never has been. It has competitors, it just generally out-competes them.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 9:55:43 PM
At 2/19/2011 7:40:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We've heard it all before. Walmart is terrible, it exploits its workers, it destroys small businesses, etc.

I don't find the claims against Wal-Mart very compelling, and neither do Penn & Teller. But perhaps you can persuade me.

Ya I've never found a good argument against Walmart either.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 10:26:16 PM
At 2/19/2011 9:55:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Ya I've never found a good argument against Walmart either.:

This reaction of Penn is the most compelling argument
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 10:28:25 PM
At 2/19/2011 8:01:46 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

It's not a monopoly. A true monopoly can forcefully exclude competition, WalMart beats competition by offering the same goods at better prices.

this.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 1:26:04 AM
At 2/19/2011 10:26:16 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 2/19/2011 9:55:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Ya I've never found a good argument against Walmart either.:

This reaction of Penn is the most compelling argument

"FU­CK YOU BOTH IN THE FU­CKING NECK"

lol

juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 2:01:05 AM
At 2/19/2011 8:02:03 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Also, http://mises.org...

I think I might start shopping at WalMart...sometimes.

I still like supporting local merchants and farmers and I dont always need Chinese made trinkets. Theres not even a nearby Walmart anyway so this is pointless.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 9:15:42 AM
At 2/20/2011 2:01:05 AM, juvanya wrote:
Theres not even a nearby Walmart anyway so this is pointless.

There's one ten minutes away from campus on Route 1 South in North Brunswick.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 9:40:26 AM
At 2/19/2011 8:11:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Then it would behoove those businesses to compete.

I'm not gonna say anything lol.

Unions = parasites that kill the host. Don't believe me, go to Detroit some time.

Discouraging union membership is still against the law. If I broke the law I would be punished no matter how stupid it was, right? But anyway I won't give my opinion on unions -- I'm a Labor Studies major and I doubt anyone here cares about Labor or things from that perspective.

Also Wal-Mart sucks. They're bad to their employees -- I took an Employment Law class for my major where 50% of the cases we studied were against Wal-Mart, so this isn't based on liberal herp derp but legitimate charges I've seen brought against this company. And what about the fact that, for example, they leave their fertilizer in the parking lot that when it rains does something to where all of it flows into nearby water somehow (I forget the exact details, but Google would make it easy to find) ... don't libertarians have something against damaging resources outside of your property?
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 11:20:40 AM
At 2/20/2011 9:40:26 AM, Danielle wrote:
And what about the fact that, for example, they leave their fertilizer in the parking lot that when it rains does something to where all of it flows into nearby water somehow (I forget the exact details, but Google would make it easy to find) ... don't libertarians have something against damaging resources outside of your property?

Whoever was using that water would sue Wal-Mart for contaminating the water, to incentivize Wal-Mart not to leave their fertilizer in such a position.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 11:26:57 AM
At 2/19/2011 8:18:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Obviously walmart is the epitome of free enterprise and has no ties with the government.

This actually made me smile lol good one, Freedo.
President of DDO
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 11:42:35 AM
At 2/20/2011 11:21:44 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
I seriously can't with this website anymore...

The libertarians? They suck but there are good people here.
Or stupidity, there are still smart people here.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 11:47:19 AM
At 2/20/2011 11:42:35 AM, lovelife wrote:

Lol she left, boo.
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 11:53:51 AM
At 2/20/2011 11:47:19 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/20/2011 11:42:35 AM, lovelife wrote:

Lol she left, boo.
signature
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:03:49 PM
I'm a Labor Studies major and I doubt anyone here cares about Labor or things from that perspective.
How many majors have you had?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:05:50 PM
At 2/20/2011 12:03:49 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'm a Labor Studies major and I doubt anyone here cares about Labor or things from that perspective.
How many majors have you had?

Lol, you're just confused because my major is very long-sounding. The full name o it is Labor Studies and Employment Relations. That's one major :P I'm double majoring in Philosophy. Why do you ask?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:18:06 PM
Oh - If you're referring to my Women's Studies specialization, it's because prior to 2007 Rutgers had a specific college within its university called Douglass that was a women-only college that required everyone to take X amount of WGS courses. I could technically be a WGS major also because of how many credits I have (plus both of my majors had massive amounts of cross-classes, such as Feminist Philosophy or Women in the Workforce) ... the ONLY reason I'm not taking it as a third major is because I'd have to do the senior seminars/thesis for it and I just can't/don't have the time even though I have the credits. That's neither here nor there though lol I never intended to major in that.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 1:56:06 PM
Discouraging union membership is still against the law.:

I know, that's the problem. This is one more instance where government interference played a large role in many companies downfall.

Anyone here ever wonder why Japanese car manufacturers don't need bailing out but nearly ALL American companies did?

I'm a Labor Studies major and I doubt anyone here cares about Labor or things from that perspective.:

I do. It's hugely important.

Also Wal-Mart sucks. They're bad to their employees -- I took an Employment Law class for my major where 50% of the cases we studied were against Wal-Mart, so this isn't based on liberal herp derp but legitimate charges I've seen brought against this company.:

Most people that claim to hate Wal-Mart are simply jumping on a bandwagon, and they all regurgitate the same sound bites, and they don't even know why. It's like those critical of Fox news. It's become so popular that people simply assume it must be true without critically analyzing it.

And what about the fact that, for example, they leave their fertilizer in the parking lot that when it rains does something to where all of it flows into nearby water somehow (I forget the exact details, but Google would make it easy to find) ... don't libertarians have something against damaging resources outside of your property?:

Sure, but is this an isolated incident or is Wal-Mart sending out a mandate to all its employees to f*ck up the environment?