Jump to topic:

Laziness hard-wired in human brain?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 3:12:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How much of human nature is hard-wired? For example, some people have some inherent talents. Maybe music, science, logic, analysis, pattern-recognition, whatever.

Can these be developed from scratch? Can you really make a child a great musician if he/she does not have that initial responsiveness to it? Ditto, a scientist, a sportspeson, an entertainer. If so, then hard-work is enough to make one be whatever one wants to be.

However, if that is not the case, and there has to be some initial latent talent for it to fully develop, isn't that a point to ponder then? I mean, people always say, with hard work you can achieve a good standing in life. But isn't the propensity to do hard work, also hardwired that way? The brain should have that initial condition which would then allow it to command the body to, in fact, work hard?

For, isn't it a talent that some people have? The ability to work hard? The ability to learn, grasp, understand? The ability to implement their knowledge in productive ways?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Curious22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:17:27 PM
Based on my understanding of science people are predisposed to certain behavioral characteristics genetically. If this is true then some should be more likely to lead a sloth-like life.
I think hard-wired isn't the best term you could use to describe a lazy mans tenancy for laziness. That term makes it seem as if a man has no power to overcome the inherent tendency to lay about. He does, but it is perhaps harder for him than others to get motivated to shovel his walk.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:29:42 PM
At 2/22/2011 3:12:50 PM, Indophile wrote:
How much of human nature is hard-wired? For example, some people have some inherent talents. Maybe music, science, logic, analysis, pattern-recognition, whatever.:

Whoa, weird. I was going to start this exact topic a few days ago but I've been absurdly busy.

isn't the propensity to do hard work, also hardwired that way? The brain should have that initial condition which would then allow it to command the body to, in fact, work hard?:

With most things, it is probably a healthy dose of both nature and nurture, but nurture I think might weigh more heavily.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 2:42:58 AM
At 2/22/2011 3:12:50 PM, Indophile wrote:
How much of human nature is hard-wired? For example, some people have some inherent talents. Maybe music, science, logic, analysis, pattern-recognition, whatever.

Music is a natural talent of mine. Some people have it, some people don't. Those who don't could possibly still be trained but I wouldn't have any guess to how successful that could be. In any case, musical talent is like athleticism - you can tell pretty easily (and in most cases without having the person perform) who has it and who doesn't.

Can these be developed from scratch? Can you really make a child a great musician if he/she does not have that initial responsiveness to it? Ditto, a scientist, a sportspeson, an entertainer. If so, then hard-work is enough to make one be whatever one wants to be.

I have to say no. Great composers have been excavated and revealed to show that thier brains were abnormally large in that area that controls creativity. I am naturally musical but cannot grasp mathematics easily; I clawed my way through calculus in college (just to torture myself apparently) and wouldn't easily pass 101 again if I put myself back through it.

However, if that is not the case, and there has to be some initial latent talent for it to fully develop, isn't that a point to ponder then? I mean, people always say, with hard work you can achieve a good standing in life. But isn't the propensity to do hard work, also hardwired that way? The brain should have that initial condition which would then allow it to command the body to, in fact, work hard?

Sloth is hardwired. The ability to control it and diligently strive toward your dreams is created by your will. I think anyone could be forced into being strong-willed, as it is sometimes a necessity of life. Under certain scenarios a person may not ever find strong willpower, but who's to say what situations would have produced it and which wouldn't have? A person of naturally strong will could possibly never make the concious realization that willpower should be used to resist vice...

For, isn't it a talent that some people have? The ability to work hard? The ability to learn, grasp, understand? The ability to implement their knowledge in productive ways?

The ability to implement thier knowledge in productive ways isn't all internal. A super-intelligent person on an island can't be as productive as a retard with a computer in some instances (insert least favorite DDO member's name here). Social issues can change the equation dramatically as well. I would say that a damaging social life could ruin one's will and cause them to be slothful, greedy, etc. But if Mozart were abused he wouldn't have sacrificed his musical abilities in the least. Einstein, if abused, perhaps would never have succeeded in being diligent enough to create the theory of relativity, but he would still be a wizkid at math if tested.
no comment
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 12:34:17 AM
If a person can choose not do be it, then it is not hard-wired. That simple.

Humans are fundamentally adapted to be as flexible as possible, this is how we survived.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2011 1:00:57 AM
At 2/24/2011 1:00:06 AM, Puck wrote:
Too lazy to research it? :P

lol
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp