Jump to topic:

Privatizing Liquor Stores in PA

timbeech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:04:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Governor Tom Corbett today announced his administration will be conducting a study on privatizing the current state controlled liquor stores...

Here is the link
http://delcotimes.com...

It is absurd how expensive liquor is in PA. I am all for healthy competition for liquor stores.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:10:58 PM
At 3/8/2011 6:04:14 PM, timbeech wrote:
Governor Tom Corbett today announced his administration will be conducting a study on privatizing the current state controlled liquor stores...

Here is the link

It is absurd how expensive liquor is in PA. I am all for healthy competition for liquor stores.

We don't have privatized liquor here in Oregon, and it is not expensive at all. I imagine it could get cheaper, but it is not like the price is rediculous.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 6:19:55 PM
At 3/8/2011 6:10:58 PM, OreEle wrote:

Here is the link

We don't have privatized liquor here in Oregon, and it is not expensive at all. I imagine it could get cheaper, but it is not like the price is rediculous.

Whats your price for say a handle of jim beam
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:37:16 PM
At 3/8/2011 10:11:01 PM, timbeech wrote:
Jim Beam is about 20 dollars.

That could be a whole lot cheaper :)

I rarely have money for liquor but I'm pretty sure a liter of Absolute is about $25, Captan is almost twenty. I don't drink JimBeam.
kfc
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 3:14:32 PM
At 3/9/2011 2:40:35 PM, feverish wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but are state owned liquor stores the norm or the exception in the US?

They don't have them at all in my state, and i know that in NH they have both. I've never seen them in Maine, or Vermont or Connecticut - that covers New England. Although i am looking to throw Connecticut out of New Enlgand - but i digress.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 4:34:28 PM
At 3/9/2011 3:14:32 PM, innomen wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but are state owned liquor stores the norm or the exception in the US?

They don't have them at all in my state, and i know that in NH they have both. I've never seen them in Maine, or Vermont or Connecticut - that covers New England. Although i am looking to throw Connecticut out of New Enlgand - but i digress.

Hehe. Innomen, I've noticed this a long time ago but it's especially obvious in this post -- Have you ever noticed that you rarely (if ever) capitalize the letter/word I? Unless it's at the beginning of the sentence, you seem to always leave i lowercase. Is this some subconscious insecurity about you not believing you're worthy of the capital pronoun? ;)
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 4:48:06 PM
I didn't know there was state owned liquer stores. Here in Vegas, the biggest chain is Lees Discount Liquer which is private (though it's endorsed by the Mayor). The Lees are huge though, like the size of a small Walmart, but with nothing but liquer.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 4:50:57 PM
At 3/9/2011 4:34:28 PM, Danielle wrote:

Hehe. Innomen, I've noticed this a long time ago but it's especially obvious in this post -- Have you ever noticed that you rarely (if ever) capitalize the letter/word I? Unless it's at the beginning of the sentence, you seem to always leave i lowercase. Is this some subconscious insecurity about you not believing you're worthy of the capital pronoun? ;)

You're the second person this week to point this out to me. No, it's really out of laziness. I spend most of my time on Outlook which corrects it for me, so I never bother to go to the great exertion of hitting that cap button. So, I explain it as a form of humility ;-). I am not the great I, but the little i. However, I should make more of an effort to actually push that cap button. Think of all the extra calories I will burn.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 5:05:37 PM
At 3/8/2011 6:19:55 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Here is the link

If you're talking about a fifth, it they run for about $22 here. If "handle" refers to a 1.75 L (since those are the ones that have handles), they run about $45.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 5:10:48 PM
At 3/9/2011 5:05:37 PM, OreEle wrote:

Here is the link

If you're talking about a fifth, it they run for about $22 here. If "handle" refers to a 1.75 L (since those are the ones that have handles), they run about $45.

I'm almost certain state owned liquor stores are the exception and the state tax on liquor varies a lot. Here in Indiana a handle or half gallon is around27-30, you can get Jack Daniels for less than 45.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 5:26:53 PM
At 3/9/2011 4:50:57 PM, innomen wrote:
At 3/9/2011 4:34:28 PM, Danielle wrote:

You're the second person this week to point this out to me. No, it's really out of laziness. I spend most of my time on Outlook which corrects it for me, so I never bother to go to the great exertion of hitting that cap button. So, I explain it as a form of humility ;-). I am not the great I, but the little i. However, I should make more of an effort to actually push that cap button. Think of all the extra calories I will burn.

You're supposed to use Shift, not Caps. It helps you type capitals faster.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 5:28:21 PM
At 3/9/2011 5:10:48 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/9/2011 5:05:37 PM, OreEle wrote:

Here is the link

I'm almost certain state owned liquor stores are the exception and the state tax on liquor varies a lot. Here in Indiana a handle or half gallon is around27-30, you can get Jack Daniels for less than 45.

Yes, the taxes do vary a lot. We also have the difference of transporting liquor. Jim Beam (my personal favorite when it comes to bourbon) is right across the border for you.

The liquor tax rate in Indiana is $2.68 per gallon or $1.24 for a 1.75L (not sure why they call them 1/2 gallons, it is only .4623 of a gallon) or $0.53 for a fifth (which is not exactly 1/5 of a gallon but darn close enough).

In Oregon, we don't actually have a defined "liquor tax" since we set the prices ourselves (we do have a beer tax and wine tax though, since those are not state run).

However, it could well be pointed out that our prices are higher than they would be in a free market, so that substanial money is generated.

Oregon makes about $75 million a year (net) from Liqour sales, or about 35.76% of revenue. And that is far more revenue than we could possible hope to get from taxes (our beer tax only brings in $8.4 million a year).

http://www.taxadmin.org...
http://www.oregon.gov... - note that this is for a 2 year budget.