Jump to topic:

Organ Donation

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:27:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How do you feel about organ donation? Would you donate before death? Would you donate after death? Would you donate the organs of a family member if you had power of attorney?

Just curious.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:29:08 PM
No, I wouldn't do it.

I don't want the doctors taking out my organs prematurely if I was hanging on to life by a thread.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:37:32 PM
At 3/11/2011 2:27:58 PM, nonentity wrote:
How do you feel about organ donation? Would you donate before death? Would you donate after death? Would you donate the organs of a family member if you had power of attorney?

Just curious.

No one knows what will happen after one dies. So, I'd like to not part with any part of my body. You'd look downright silly if you find out you have to continue using your old body :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:17:09 PM
How do you feel about organ donation? Would you donate before death?

If I was in desperate financial need and I was paid for it.

Would you donate after death?

Yes, I don't care what others did with my body after death.

Would you donate the organs of a family member if you had power of attorney?

Yes
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 5:21:31 PM
How do you feel about organ donation? Would you donate before death? Would you donate after death? Would you donate the organs of a family member if you had power of attorney?:

I know of positive and negative stories about organ donation. I have two friends who've been the recipient of an organ donor, both with success, which is very good because it's really common for the body to reject the organ.

Another friend of mine is a trauma surgeon, and he said in so many words that if you're in a bad accident and they even think you won't pull through, they will harvest those organs from you while you're still alive.

http://med.miami.edu...

The story isn't relevant, but this is guy who told me that.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 5:35:12 PM
If I had organs which were good enough to donate, than I probably would since I've been on the waiting list for about 2 years now. >.<
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 6:48:56 PM
At 3/11/2011 5:21:31 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Another friend of mine is a trauma surgeon, and he said in so many words that if you're in a bad accident and they even think you won't pull through, they will harvest those organs from you while you're still alive.

Are you kidding me? I'm shocked. Of course they couldn't do it without consent from somebody, right?

I'm not sure if things are different in the US since most people can't afford health care...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:29:13 PM
At 3/11/2011 6:48:56 PM, nonentity wrote:

Are you kidding me? I'm shocked. Of course they couldn't do it without consent from somebody, right?

I'm not sure if things are different in the US since most people can't afford health care...

well i'm assuming that applies to people who have already agreed to be donors. and the longer they wait to harvest the organs, the more danger there is that they will get damaged and be unusable. they can't harvest them from you until you're declared braindead though.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:32:29 PM
How do you feel about organ donation? Would you donate before death?

No. Unless my sister direly needed a kidney.

Would you donate after death?

Yes, I'm a registered donor.

Would you donate the organs of a family member if you had power of attorney?

Yes . . . they're not using them anymore. And I'd assume my loved ones would want to help save lives.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:55:01 PM
At 3/11/2011 6:48:56 PM, nonentity wrote:

Are you kidding me? I'm shocked. Of course they couldn't do it without consent from somebody, right?:

Well, yeah... You have to be an organ donor (at least in the US... I'm sure it's similar in Canuckistan) I'm drunk,....

I'm not sure if things are different in the US since most people can't afford health care...:

lol, wut???
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:58:23 PM
well i'm assuming that applies to people who have already agreed to be donors. and the longer they wait to harvest the organs, the more danger there is that they will get damaged and be unusable. they can't harvest them from you until you're declared braindead though.:

Well that's the thing... I don't know how accurate it is... A lot of websites say it's overblown, and I'm just going off of what one trauma surgeon told me (at a reputable hospital).

What the f*ck, roll the dice... Be an organ donor... I don't give a sh*t.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 12:12:10 AM
At 3/11/2011 10:29:13 PM, belle wrote:

well i'm assuming that applies to people who have already agreed to be donors. and the longer they wait to harvest the organs, the more danger there is that they will get damaged and be unusable. they can't harvest them from you until you're declared braindead though.

Well, I'm an organ donor and if it weren't for my parents, I'd be dead and my organs would be somewhere... lol. The doctors asked permission and my parents said no. It sounds shocking that a doctor would harvest your organs without you being "fully dead".
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 12:13:46 AM
At 3/11/2011 10:55:01 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm not sure if things are different in the US since most people can't afford health care...:

lol, wut???

I figure since people can't afford to stay in the hospital, doctors (and family members) would be eager to "get them out" lol even if that means prematurely killing someone for their organs o_O
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 12:16:40 AM
At 3/12/2011 12:12:10 AM, nonentity wrote:

Well, I'm an organ donor and if it weren't for my parents, I'd be dead and my organs would be somewhere... lol. The doctors asked permission and my parents said no. It sounds shocking that a doctor would harvest your organs without you being "fully dead".

That's not exactly what happens. Imagine this scenario.

12 car pileup. 10 people dying, 1 of them happens to be a donor. The doctor on call has limited time and resources and he knows that he can only get to about 6 people at most.

Knowing that there is an organ donor in the mix, a potential source of resources to save several other lives, who do you think he's going to put on the "I'll get to him later" category?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 12:23:43 AM
At 3/12/2011 12:16:40 AM, Kleptin wrote:

12 car pileup. 10 people dying, 1 of them happens to be a donor. The doctor on call has limited time and resources and he knows that he can only get to about 6 people at most.

Knowing that there is an organ donor in the mix, a potential source of resources to save several other lives, who do you think he's going to put on the "I'll get to him later" category?

o_O That sounds completely unethical.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:15:35 AM
I'm keeping all my organs tyvm.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:20:48 AM
At 3/11/2011 2:37:32 PM, Indophile wrote:

Just curious.

No one knows what will happen after one dies. So, I'd like to not part with any part of my body. You'd look downright silly if you find out you have to continue using your old body :)

? So far, no one has come back to use their old body. Well, accept this one guy, but odds are that you won't need it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:22:10 AM

Just curious.

Yes, I would donate some things during life (I frequently donate blood), and plan on donating all usful organs upon my death. And yes, I'll donate every usable body part of anyone that I have power of attorney over upon their deaths.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:28:12 AM
At 3/12/2011 12:23:43 AM, nonentity wrote:

o_O That sounds completely unethical.

It is, it is also not likely accurate. In a ten car pile up with people dying, they are not stopping to check IDs. The first people out in critical condition are the first people being sent to the hospital. And the first people to the hospital are the first to be worked on. They are not going to know whether a person is a donor until the person get's ID'ed and that is not likely to happen very quickly, the person will at least be on their way to the hospital when someone checks their pockets for ID (they need to look the person up to see if there is any document medical conditions or history that would be benefitial to know for the doctors). They would not get away with leaving the person in the waiting room in critical condition.

If anything, they might just be a little slow with scheduling things like MRI machines and such (so that others can go first) and see if nature takes its toll.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:29:39 AM
At 3/15/2011 11:22:10 AM, OreEle wrote:
Yes, I would donate some things during life (I frequently donate blood), and plan on donating all usful organs upon my death. And yes, I'll donate every usable body part of anyone that I have power of attorney over upon their deaths.

Same. My very best friend in the world has a pretty serious heart condition, so she'd be my first priority. I would donate a non-necessary organ to a loved one while living if they were close to me. I'm a registered organ donor for when I die. I'd prefer to save lives if possible, but I also don't mind donating my body to science.

Btw OreEle, isn't organ donating against your religion? My family is Catholic and I know they think it's wrong, anyway. I'm pretty sure Catholocism at least is against it, but I'm not 100% sure.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 11:34:35 AM
At 3/15/2011 11:29:39 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/15/2011 11:22:10 AM, OreEle wrote:

Same. My very best friend in the world has a pretty serious heart condition, so she'd be my first priority. I would donate a non-necessary organ to a loved one while living if they were close to me. I'm a registered organ donor for when I die. I'd prefer to save lives if possible, but I also don't mind donating my body to science.

Btw OreEle, isn't organ donating against your religion? My family is Catholic and I know they think it's wrong, anyway. I'm pretty sure Catholocism at least is against it, but I'm not 100% sure.

lol, no. At least not against my particular church, since our paster encourages people to give all that they have including their bodies once they pass (he hasn't said anything about giving organs while living, but I'd doubt he'd be against it).

Though I really want to donate my eyes to someone when I die to someone that is blind. That way they get to see, but they are stuck being colorblind for the rest of their life, lol.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 12:30:32 PM
Apparently, many religions are not actually against organ donation, but that people misinterpret the scriptures. Not sure how true that is though...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2011 7:07:47 PM
At 3/15/2011 12:30:32 PM, nonentity wrote:
Apparently, many religions are not actually against organ donation, but that people misinterpret the scriptures. Not sure how true that is though...

meh a lot of things claimed by a religious person can be claimed a "misinterpretation" by another religious person... it just depends on which interpretation you want to accept
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
jrowles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 10:32:12 AM
At 3/15/2011 11:29:39 AM, Danielle wrote:
": Btw OreEle, isn't organ donating against your religion? My family is Catholic and I know they think it's wrong, anyway. I'm pretty sure Catholocism at least is against it, but I'm not 100% sure."

If you are interested in learning what different religion's viewpoints are on organ and whole body donation for science, you can view this document: http://www.sciencecare.com....
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:14:19 PM
At 3/12/2011 12:12:10 AM, nonentity wrote:

Because triage is a standard practice in the medical field and he'd be caught for doing that by that person's family... Insert medical malpractice lawyer

Although the forced euthanasia doctors from Katrina were never prosecuted, in spite of a Pulitzer Prize winning NY magazine piece that exposed the whole operation.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 3:30:04 PM
At 3/15/2011 11:20:48 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:37:32 PM, Indophile wrote:

Just curious.

? So far, no one has come back to use their old body. Well, accept this one guy, but odds are that you won't need it.

well, there's no escaping the power of bad luck. also, no good deed goes unpunished. i'm sure there are some other cliches lying around, which make this a bad idea :)

just try to imagine the scenario where you donated your organs and then you find out you really need them after death...... :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.