Jump to topic:

Islamaphobia or Homophobia

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 2:58:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Which is more rampant and dangerous in the U.S., homophobia or Islamaphobia?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:04:20 PM
At 3/13/2011 2:58:27 PM, socialpinko wrote:

I can't comment for America, but in England it is far and away Islamaphobia. Not that either are justifiable, but it really isn't a competition to see who can be the most persecuted.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:16:57 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:04:20 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

I can't comment for America, but in England it is far and away Islamaphobia. Not that either are justifiable, but it really isn't a competition to see who can be the most persecuted.

Don't you consider a certain amount of Islamaphobia justifiable in England? We do after all have constant reports of rape, fraud, and riots all conducted by muslims. We do live in constant danger of Islamic terrorism. Senior 'moderate' Muslims state their desire to convert the country to a hateful and fascistic ideology.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:20:28 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:16:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Don't you consider a certain amount of Islamaphobia justifiable in England? We do after all have constant reports of rape, fraud, and riots all conducted by muslims. We do live in constant danger of Islamic terrorism. Senior 'moderate' Muslims state their desire to convert the country to a hateful and fascistic ideology.
Are you aware of what kind of problems your country deals with? Do you blame that on Muslims? If so, let me debate you on it right now. We will start with the Victorian Era.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:22:46 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:20:28 PM, Mirza wrote:

Are you aware of what kind of problems your country deals with?

Some of them yes.

Do you blame that on Muslims?

Some of them yes.

If so, let me debate you on it right now. We will start with the Victorian Era.

We have been here before, you will get increasingly emotional and then surrender. Like a french berzerker.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:25:40 PM
Homophobia. I've seen more people hurt by Homophobia than Islamaphobia.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:26:44 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:22:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Some of them yes.
If you take a look at the statistics and studies about the horrible social situation in the UK, and if you look at the historical causes too, then I am fairly sure that you will realize that little of the UK problems have much to do with Muslims or their immigration.

Some of them yes.
And some are blamed on blacks, Chinese, gypsies, etc. None of that justifies racism. None of that justifies nationalism. None of that justifies a caste system. Muslim rapists being prevalent does not justify Islamophobia. It only reflects your personal, unjustified hatred.

We have been here before, you will get increasingly emotional and then surrender. Like a french berzerker.
No, a good debate topic is something I am ready for - and if you blame Muslims for whatever downfall your country suffers, then click "Challenge to a Debate."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:28:09 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:26:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
Some of them yes.
If you take a look at the statistics and studies about the horrible social situation in the UK, and if you look at the historical causes too, then I am fairly sure that you will realize that little of the UK problems have much to do with Muslims or their immigration.

Some of them yes.
And some are blamed on blacks, Chinese, gypsies, etc. None of that justifies racism. None of that justifies nationalism. None of that justifies a caste system. Muslim rapists being prevalent does not justify Islamophobia. It only reflects your personal, unjustified hatred.

No, a good debate topic is something I am ready for - and if you blame Muslims for whatever downfall your country suffers, then click "Challenge to a Debate."

You are already strawmanning me.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:30:03 PM

Yes, they do deserve their fear more than gays, though no where near the amount of hate they get.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:31:13 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:28:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Some of them yes.

Some of them yes.

"Don't you consider a certain amount of Islamaphobia justifiable in England? We do after all have constant reports of rape, fraud, and riots all conducted by muslims"

There is no strawman there. You said what you said, and what you said is absurd, my friend. Justifying Islamophobia due to the deeds of certain people is rubbish.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:32:47 PM
Homophobia around here is kept silent and i don't know what lurks in the hearts of men, nor do i want to, but i live in the Boston area where it's a lot more accepted. Honestly, we don't have too many Muslims around here.

I will say that i think it's different. Islamophobia is simple hate, homophobia is more like disgust. In both cases i think the suffix "phobia" is a bit inaccurate.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:32:57 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Mirza here :P
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:33:05 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:30:03 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Yes, they do deserve their fear more than gays, though no where near the amount of hate they get.
No, but we do deserve more critique than gays, and I hope nobody disagrees with that very objective fact.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:35:54 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:31:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/13/2011 3:28:09 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Some of them yes.

Some of them yes.

"Don't you consider a certain amount of Islamaphobia justifiable in England? We do after all have constant reports of rape, fraud, and riots all conducted by muslims"

There is no strawman there. You said what you said, and what you said is absurd, my friend. Justifying Islamophobia due to the deeds of certain people is rubbish.

Lets imagine that every morning you either read in the paper or watch on the news some sort of atrocity of evil crime being committed by clowns. Every day you go to school, a random clown kicks you in the nuts. Clown kids at school treat you badly. Later than evening a clown minister talks of how life needs to be made easier for clowns, and wouldn't it be better if we all became clowns.

Would you like clowns?

In any case I am happy to debate what I said.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:37:57 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:33:05 PM, Mirza wrote:

No, but we do deserve more critique than gays, and I hope nobody disagrees with that very objective fact.

By deserve, I'm mean rationally. Most issues which people have against Muslims are actually only true of a very small number. But these people still do exist and have committed acts of terrorism in the name of their religion here, so yes, the fear is more rational than that of homophobia.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:39:59 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:35:54 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Lets imagine that every morning you either read in the paper or watch on the news some sort of atrocity of evil crime being committed by clowns. Every day you go to school, a random clown kicks you in the nuts. Clown kids at school treat you badly. Later than evening a clown minister talks of how life needs to be made easier for clowns, and wouldn't it be better if we all became clowns.

Would you like clowns?
All clowns, or some clowns? Poor people commit crimes, therefore I should generalize poor people in the sense that I should develop a generalizing word that is very insulting toward all of them?

And I offer you the following resolutions that you can challenge me to a debate on:

(1) The problems of the UK should be blamed on Muslims
(2) Because some Muslims are criminals, we should spread Islamophobia

Accept either or both in this thread.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:42:13 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:37:57 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

By deserve, I'm mean rationally. Most issues which people have against Muslims are actually only true of a very small number. But these people still do exist and have committed acts of terrorism in the name of their religion here, so yes, the fear is more rational than that of homophobia.
Which is why I am saying that Muslims deserve more critique than gays. Most gays do what they like: have sex with the same gender. But certain Muslims don't mind praying to God and giving blessings of peace afterwards, and then go to a supermarket and blow himself up, or harass his wife, or do other monstrous things that he is supposed not to do. Criticize Muslims for that, I welcome you.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:42:53 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:39:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/13/2011 3:35:54 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Would you like clowns?
All clowns, or some clowns? Poor people commit crimes, therefore I should generalize poor people in the sense that I should develop a generalizing word that is very insulting toward all of them?

And I offer you the following resolutions that you can challenge me to a debate on:

(1) The problems of the UK should be blamed on Muslims
(2) Because some Muslims are criminals, we should spread Islamophobia

Accept either or both in this thread.

You can evade and strawman me all you want. Come up with an honest resolution and I may take you up on it.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:48:45 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:42:13 PM, Mirza wrote:

Which is why I am saying that Muslims deserve more critique than gays. Most gays do what they like: have sex with the same gender. But certain Muslims don't mind praying to God and giving blessings of peace afterwards, and then go to a supermarket and blow himself up, or harass his wife, or do other monstrous things that he is supposed not to do. Criticize Muslims for that, I welcome you.

But the critique equates to fear in some people.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:53:28 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:48:45 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/13/2011 3:42:13 PM, Mirza wrote:

It doesn't mean that Islamophobia is inherently justified.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 3:57:09 PM

That doesn't mean fear of the entire group is justified.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 4:23:16 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:39:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
All clowns, or some clowns?

not All clowns... but when those who do claim they do so in the name of Clownhood... citing passages from their manual of Clowniness (to which all clowns subscribe)

and then when you see that that manual leaves some room for interpretations which such Horrible actions in the name of Clowniness...

And when you understand that there's really no good reason to be a clown in the first place...

well... You might wish people simply weren't clowns in the first place... that this tradition of Clowniness would simply die. And would Not care to see it spread.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 4:36:32 PM
I have suffered violent homophobia in the United States. I have been shot at and mugged. I cannot pretend to be able to compare this to the plight of Muslims or folk who vaguely resemble Arab ethnicity to the masses of American radicalized Christians. What I do know is both need to be rebuffed. There are a lot of shouts to deny Muslims the right to build mosques from our many bigots in power, a lot of shouts from the same people to terrorize anyone wearing a turban or reading a Quran. Many of the same people call to deny same-sex couples the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.

Bigotry is, unfortunately, celebrated in the Unite States at the same time denied as being bigotry. The U.S. has been growing increasingly fascist and theocratic, and political leaders have been elected spouting the vitriol, and you can hear the fascists and theocracists right here on DDO.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 4:44:11 PM
At 3/13/2011 3:57:09 PM, jmar8542 wrote:

You fail at reading comprehension. I said it was more justified, I also said the extent is not. (this goes for Mirza as well)
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2011 8:13:30 PM

Neither, both of them are perfectly fine.

But to answer your question, I would say homo"phobia" would be more prominent.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 3:16:47 AM
At 3/13/2011 8:13:30 PM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Right. They're right up there with racism and sexism. Perfectly fine.(sarcasm :)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 4:25:35 AM
At 3/13/2011 8:13:30 PM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Even if you believed them to be wrong because of religious ideals, it still wouldn't justify either. J-dizzle says love your neighbour (which means everyone, including muslims and gays), and also he who is without sin can lob the first petrol bomb (or something like that, anyway I'll accept your judgement as atleast consistent when you are a perfect human bean)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 4:26:34 AM
At 3/13/2011 4:44:11 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/13/2011 3:57:09 PM, jmar8542 wrote:

You fail at reading comprehension. I said it was more justified, I also said the extent is not. (this goes for Mirza as well)
Did I reflect on your opinion, or did I make a general statement?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2011 4:41:23 AM
It is somewhat rational to be afraid of Muslims.
Terrorism is rampant in Islam at the moment.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...