Jump to topic:

Pressure to Marry

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:29:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Apparently this is an issue with a lot of prejudice in a lot of places. People think if a woman is not married that there is something wrong with them, they are selfish, and that they are doing something wrong. I do not understand this. People should do what makes them happy without hurting others. My not being married doesn't hurt anyone. What makes one woman happy does not mean it is the right thing for all. Some women also think that they should stay home and take care of the husband. I say that if this is right for you, that's great, but I wouldn't suggest doing so unless your husband is just as good to you. Career driven women should not hate on stay at home moms and vice versa. Why are people so awful to each other because of these small things?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:39:02 PM
my general feeling is that i don't give a d*mn what another person does as long as he/she is not harming anybody.

If everyone just lived by this philosophy, then I think the world would be a much more peaceful place.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:40:13 PM
At 3/24/2011 3:39:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
my general feeling is that i don't give a d*mn what another person does as long as he/she is not harming anybody.

If everyone just lived by this philosophy, then I think the world would be a much more peaceful place.

That goes for just about an philosophy "if everyone in the world just agreed with me, the world would be better."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 3:40:28 PM
Because people are stupid.

/topic
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:07:46 PM
At 3/24/2011 3:40:13 PM, OreEle wrote:

That goes for just about an philosophy "if everyone in the world just agreed with me, the world would be better."

Alright I'll try to back up my statement:

Judging others causes disputes.
Disputes leads to harming others and fighting.
The world would be better off without others harming others and fighting.
Therefore judging others is bad.

Of course, when I say fighting, I'm not referring to arranged fights, like the UFC or boxing. The world would be worse off if those didn't exist :p.
Open borders debate:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:14:49 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:07:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/24/2011 3:40:13 PM, OreEle wrote:

Alright I'll try to back up my statement:

Judging others causes disputes.
Disputes leads to harming others and fighting.
The world would be better off without others harming others and fighting.
Therefore judging others is bad.

Of course, when I say fighting, I'm not referring to arranged fights, like the UFC or boxing. The world would be worse off if those didn't exist :p.

Theft of property can occur without judging another, therefore the removal of judging people would not prevent theft. However, removal of judging others would prevent bringing theives to justice, as it takes a judgement to claim that theft is wrong.

Though I understand what you mean (not the absolute extreme), but also the notion that if everyone thought as "X" we would all be better. If everyone believed that blacks should be slaves (this is including the blacks themselves), then there would be no conflict over said slavery and so we would have peace on that aspect.

If everyone agreed with communism, it would work. If everyone agreed with capitalism, it would work. If everyone agreed with "X," it would work.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:23:34 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:14:49 PM, OreEle wrote:

Theft of property can occur without judging another, therefore the removal of judging people would not prevent theft. However, removal of judging others would prevent bringing theives to justice, as it takes a judgement to claim that theft is wrong.

I stated, that as long as one isn't harming another, then one shouldn't judge. Obviously, if you are a thief, then you are harming others.

Though I understand what you mean (not the absolute extreme), but also the notion that if everyone thought as "X" we would all be better. If everyone believed that blacks should be slaves (this is including the blacks themselves), then there would be no conflict over said slavery and so we would have peace on that aspect.

Yea, again were getting into, one person harming another.

If everyone agreed with communism, it would work. If everyone agreed with capitalism, it would work. If everyone agreed with "X," it would work.

Not sure where you're getting at here? Of course communism and capitalism work, they existed. The question is if they are efficient enough, and bring prosperity. However, the underling principles and theories behind them, and whether the assumptions are true or not, determine whether they would lead to prosperity or suffering.

Anyways, my main issue is with people judging others over things that do not effect anyone. Like, for example, one's religion, race, sexual preference, what one does in their free time, etc. As long as it doesn't harm others, it's not important.
Open borders debate:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:33:29 PM
At 3/24/2011 3:29:04 PM, rogue wrote:
Apparently this is an issue with a lot of prejudice in a lot of places. People think if a woman is not married that there is something wrong with them, they are selfish, and that they are doing something wrong. I do not understand this. People should do what makes them happy without hurting others. My not being married doesn't hurt anyone. What makes one woman happy does not mean it is the right thing for all. Some women also think that they should stay home and take care of the husband. I say that if this is right for you, that's great, but I wouldn't suggest doing so unless your husband is just as good to you. Career driven women should not hate on stay at home moms and vice versa. Why are people so awful to each other because of these small things?

My mom is like that, and i think it's ridiculous. First of all, it's none of anyone's business. She has a neighbor who she is really hostile toward because of this, and i get nuts about it. But, she's old and these are old ways of thinking. Honestly, if people just minded their own business and gave people the benefit of the doubt we'd be happier.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:34:35 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:23:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I stated, that as long as one isn't harming another, then one shouldn't judge. Obviously, if you are a thief, then you are harming others.

Depends on how harm is defined. Do you hold this view for all forms of harm? physical harm
financial harm
emotional harm
pshcyological harm
any other harms I can't think of from the top of my head?

This is not in regards to your particular view, just that if everyone accepted that belief, there would be no conflict over it and everyone would be happy (with this issue).

Not sure where you're getting at here? Of course communism and capitalism work, they existed. The question is if they are efficient enough, and bring prosperity. However, the underling principles and theories behind them, and whether the assumptions are true or not, determine whether they would lead to prosperity or suffering.

By work, I mean maintain existance, don't breakdown over time.

Anyways, my main issue is with people judging others over things that do not effect anyone. Like, for example, one's religion, race, sexual preference, what one does in their free time, etc. As long as it doesn't harm others, it's not important.

Again, I go back to the definition of harm with different types of harm.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:49:22 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:34:35 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/24/2011 4:23:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Depends on how harm is defined. Do you hold this view for all forms of harm? physical harm
financial harm
emotional harm
pshcyological harm
any other harms I can't think of from the top of my head?

Well, yea one can in theory emotionally harm somebody even if the harm is justified. If someone breaks up with his/her girlfriend, and the girl is deeply saddened, then

I guess it's unwarranted harm that I refer to. Then again, the definition of what is "warranted" or "unwarranted" is difficult. Like, for example, I think calling a girl a slut is unwarranted.

This is not in regards to your particular view, just that if everyone accepted that belief, there would be no conflict over it and everyone would be happy (with this issue).

Well, besides the blacks.

By work, I mean maintain existance, don't breakdown over time.

Alright. However, even if people agreed that an "idea" could work doesn't mean it will work. If everyone agrees that I can fly, doesn't mean I will.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 6:17:46 PM
Pressure to marry? There is pressure to do billions of things. Marriage is mild compared to whatever else you are brainwashed to do.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 6:27:22 PM
At 3/24/2011 6:26:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
My parents yell at me for not re-marrying and I am not even a woman!

That's odd. Only women should be forced into marriage, someone needs to straighten your parents out.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 7:25:22 PM
Pressure to marry is arguable if there is a baby that is poised to grow up without a mother or father because its parents are too busy trying to figure out what's best for themselves.
kfc
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 5:20:36 AM
At 3/24/2011 6:27:22 PM, OreEle wrote:

That's odd. Only women should be forced into marriage, someone needs to straighten your parents out.

Funny you should say this. Get back in the kitchen!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:22:33 AM
At 3/25/2011 5:20:36 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

I'm busy at work.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:31:36 AM
At 3/25/2011 10:22:33 AM, OreEle wrote:

I'm busy at work.

In a kitchen?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:32:23 AM

I'm busy at work.

Surely you are busy being forced into a marriage?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:34:10 AM
At 3/25/2011 10:32:23 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

I'm busy at work.

No, as I said, only women should be forced into marriage.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:42:28 AM
At 3/25/2011 10:34:10 AM, OreEle wrote:

I'm busy at work.

See my previous statement, mam.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:56:31 AM
At 3/25/2011 10:42:28 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

I'm busy at work.

I already answered your previous statement and gave a reason for the answer. Repeating the question will only get the same answer.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 10:57:40 AM
At 3/25/2011 10:56:31 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/25/2011 10:42:28 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

I'm busy at work.

I already answered your previous statement and gave a reason for the answer. Repeating the question will only get the same answer.

Silly woman.