Jump to topic:

Proposed PPA

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 4:52:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I got rained on today from the evil Environment. I didn't have an umbrella.

We need a People Protection Agency to protect us from the environment.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 5:52:55 PM
At 3/31/2011 4:52:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Yea tell me about it. Like earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes and hurricanes. I hate it all. Especially with Japanright now. That darn tsunami. After this crisis is over, they will most likely try implementing laws to prevent tsunamis from happening by genetically engineering the water and relocating it and destroying the earthquakes.

Sign here to file a lawsuit against mother nature:

Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 5:53:10 PM

We do, to a degree. We have agencies that try to protect us from hurricanes and tornados and floods, and various other aspects of the environment.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:12:52 PM
At 3/31/2011 5:53:10 PM, OreEle wrote:

We do, to a degree. We have agencies that try to protect us from hurricanes and tornados and floods, and various other aspects of the environment.

They don't protect us, they just slap on a band-aid and call it a day.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:34:38 PM
At 3/31/2011 6:12:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/31/2011 5:53:10 PM, OreEle wrote:

They don't protect us, they just slap on a band-aid and call it a day.

They have weather tracking systems that predict many environmental events and warns us about them. Like the Tsunami sensors that alerted people in the US about the upcoming tsunami from Japan's earthquake, and we have plenty of warning about upcoming hurricanes.

That is a form of protection (i.e. prevention).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:41:03 PM
At 3/31/2011 6:38:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Protection is a 30 foot thick glass dome city hovering in the air powered by fusion reactors.

Now That's protection baby!

That's extreme protection, but not the only form.

crappy quality, but eh.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:43:23 PM
I really just made this joke thread because I noticed about 90% of the people check 'PRO' for environment protection, when really it is not the environment we are protecting, it is people. When you lobby for clean air, it isn't to save the environment, but to save people! I surely am not going to waste my time bowing to the whims of natural environment, I might as well go for a 50 mile walk in the Amazon jungle..... naked....
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 6:54:45 PM
At 3/31/2011 6:43:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I really just made this joke thread because I noticed about 90% of the people check 'PRO' for environment protection, when really it is not the environment we are protecting, it is people. When you lobby for clean air, it isn't to save the environment, but to save people! I surely am not going to waste my time bowing to the whims of natural environment, I might as well go for a 50 mile walk in the Amazon jungle..... naked....

OK I take that back, Innomen has con selected too for Environmental Protection, that's good enough for me!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 8:12:39 PM
At 3/31/2011 6:43:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

A lot of people choose environmental protection to actually save animals in the environment. They believe that we shouldn't be turning every square inch of the Earth for our own needs, and leave a portion natural.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2011 10:19:37 PM
The environment is suitable for humans because of nature's hard-working natural engine, the buildup of free oxygen levels over millions of years from the plants that free the oxygen from carbon dioxide through photosynthesis. Oxygen is too reactive to be stable without a huge mass of plants to continually sustain it, and air breathing members of the animal kingdom (including homo sapiens -- human beings) cannot survive without oxygen to breathe. Further, the stability of the climate is easily affected by greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, and the stabilized climate our entire society rests on -- the fertility of the 'breadbasket,' the suitability of regions for agriculture, a stabilized coastline -- is already being thrown out of whack by environmental changes, both massive dumping of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and a collossal-scale destruction of the photosynthesis engines -- plants -- that had been gradually decreasing carbon dioxide over millions of years and producing free oxygen.

The carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere is now about twice what it was a mere 100,000 years ago. The Arctic ice cap is vanishing, and is expected to disappear completely at present rates in just a decade or two ... that's a very significant sign, but more worrisome is the massive continental deglaciation. From the Rockies to the Andes, the Himalayas to the Alps, glaciers sustain the interiors of continents and their loss will mean no more drinking water. If the massive ice sheets over the Greenland and Antarctic masses melt, global sea levels will rise (because the Arctic ice cap is already floating on water, losing it to global warming will have little effect on global ocean levels, but it will have very significant effects throughout the northern hemisphere and it is theorized could trigger the release of carbon that had been locked in ice and permarost and create a runaway greenhouse effect), permanently swamping coastal regions. Already, a number of small islands that had been inhabited for millenia are no longer inhabitable by humans due to a global rise in ocean levels that has already happened as a result of anthropogenic global warming; this will only increase.

As for threats posed by natural disasters, it would be funny if it were not also true that the same portion of the political spectrum who oppose efforts to reduce the massive global environmental destruction for the profit of a few also oppose efforts to prevent deaths from natural or even man-made disasters, such as tsunami warning systems. The Atlantic seaboard of the U.S. still lacks any tsunami warning system, and a repeat of the 1700 9.0-estimated quake off Portugal could send a deadly wave to the U.S.' east coast and there would be no warning system whatsoever ... New York, Washington, Miami and other coastal cities would incur sudden, unpredicted mysterious tsunami that would be deadly. Even minor tsunami heights, no bigger than the Japanese tsunami as received on the U.S. pacific coast, would be quite deadly. And yet Congress has decided to quash tsunami detection for the Atlantic as a frivolous expense whilst giving multi-billion-dollar subsidies to oil companies.

Go figure.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 10:59:49 AM
At 3/31/2011 8:39:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Then say animal protection.

Because it is for nature in general, the animals, plants, and the ecosystem that they all live in.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 3:33:11 PM
At 4/1/2011 10:59:49 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/31/2011 8:39:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Then say animal protection.

Because it is for nature in general, the animals, plants, and the ecosystem that they all live in.
When you say Environment, you are saying All the animate and inanimate objects. If you to place a high value on all life, even plants, that's fine. If you want to place a high value on a volcano, that's fine. If you think you can protect a volcano, be my guest. Hell we can't even protect the pyramids, and man made those!
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2011 4:22:40 PM
At 3/31/2011 10:19:37 PM, PervRat wrote:
air breathing members of the animal kingdom (including homo sapiens -- human beings) cannot survive without oxygen to breathe.

I Learn something new every day.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler