Jump to topic:

Dodgers fans beat Giants fan

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:54:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
When Brett Favre came to Green Bay and beat us in 09, a packer fan followed a vikings fan out of a bar and murdered him. Now we have a similarly brutal situation where this giants fan is now showing signs of brain injury because of being a fan of a game. Sorry no link, as I'm on my phone, but there's really not much more substantively speaking to the story anyway. Any thoughts to how someone could get that wrapped up into sports? Or is sports just a meaningless and innocent medium? Do sports influence the mind in a way that promotes violence? Sports have classicly been embraced absolutely by schools so it's kind of an imporftant question.
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:08:08 AM
Someone's obviously never seen someone get punched for wearing the wrong style of underwear.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 10:17:16 AM
Have you ever seen Jersey Shore, Ragnar? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you said "no," because I know I certainly haven't, but I went to school with a least one of the main characters. Suffice to say that I spent the first 16 years of my life in the most shallow, materialistic part of society that possibly exists (Johnston, RI is pretty much just like Jersey Shore). The only gf I ever had before I was old enough to drive dumped me in sixth grade because I changed the way I gelled my hair one day. If you were caught wearing the same pair of jeans two days in a row you were committing social suicide (are all schools this bad and I just don't know?).

So yeah I get your jist; I've been there. Being punched for wearing unauthorized underwear is a similar phenomenon... I remember in 9th grade a rumor got started about this kid who supposedly tried touching/molesting some other kid's younger sibling. I didn't know the guy so I'll never know whether it was true or not but by lunch the whole school knew and all the tougher kids (just picture the crew of Jersey Shore and you've got it, in fact it's likely Pauly D was right there in the middle of it) started taking turns walking behind his table in lunch and punching him while they walked by. He dropped out the next day and was never seen again, but I always wondered whether or not he actually was a child molestor or whether some kid just started that rumor for fun. Once the popular kids were on board it didn't matter if it was true or not; people love to be violent for a cause. These kids were telling themselves they were doing it out of honor, but honestly, even if it somehow was proven that this kid was in fact not to blame then it wouldn't have spared him once they tasted blood. Sports seems to give people a way to harnass this energy positively, but playing sports for the goal of winning is different than playing sports for the goal of loving the game and being healthy. I know in Green Bay that supporting the Packers usually means getting drunk and hating whoever we're playing (including that team's fans), and it can often be pretty ugly (we usually don't win the SB after all). People around here HATE Chicago Bears and their fans with a passion (as well as your Vikings). It's not based on common sense at all.
kfc
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 10:21:55 AM
thats retarded, but with all the sh*t talking that goes on between dodger and giants fans, i wouldn't be surprised that some idiots took it too far and actually got violent. i don't understand sports at all, but its extremely depressing how riled up people get about it...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:05:15 AM
At 4/6/2011 10:17:16 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Have you ever seen Jersey Shore, Ragnar? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you said "no,"
The proper response is "Lol, no."

I know in Green Bay that supporting the Packers usually means getting drunk and hating whoever we're playing (including that team's fans)
Nothing wrong with hating the other team for most people, and the rest would find some other excuse to be violent off the field anyway. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:14:39 AM
(Johnston, RI is pretty much just like Jersey Shore).

I can out-guido you any day of the week and not just because I'm 100% Italian-American :P My parents LIVE at the Jersey Shore now (and I have throughout college). Pauly D from RI is the only cast member not from NY. Half the cast is from the burrough of NYC I grew up in lol the worst of them ALL (Staten Island... the name alone makes me shudder). I can easily scan my yearbooks and put whatever little gel story you might have to shame. And my college (Rutgers) was recently in the news for paying Snooki more money than Pullitzer Prize winner Toni Morrison to speak at graduation. Haha so you get no sympathy from me. But let's get back to your questions.

Any thoughts to how someone could get that wrapped up into sports?

People use sports teams as a way to identify and represent themselves. Haven't we talked about this before? ;) Ravens winning = Baltimore winning = people of Baltimore feel a sense of "winning." It doesn't make sense for them to take pride in other people's accomplishment but it happens. This is the best answer I can come up with, because it explains why other aspects of our lives don't have the same phenomenon. People don't get as competitive or riled up over many other things.

Or is sports just a meaningless and innocent medium?

Macchiavelli wrote in "The Prince" that in order to rule without problems questioning your authority that you need to keep the masses entertained - particularly with sports. I'm trying to think if there's a modern substitute but sports still dominate. Even FANTASY sports are a multi-billion dollar industry.

Do sports influence the mind in a way that promotes violence?

IMaybe if you're playing them and there's all that testosterone is flowing and whatnot, but otherwise I think it's one's own individual psychology and frame of mind determines how they react to sports (or prolly anything).
President of DDO
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:00:00 PM
At 4/6/2011 11:14:39 AM, Danielle wrote:
(Johnston, RI is pretty much just like Jersey Shore).

I can out-guido you any day of the week and not just because I'm 100% Italian-American :P My parents LIVE at the Jersey Shore now (and I have throughout college). Pauly D from RI is the only cast member not from NY. Half the cast is from the burrough of NYC I grew up in lol the worst of them ALL (Staten Island... the name alone makes me shudder). I can easily scan my yearbooks and put whatever little gel story you might have to shame. And my college (Rutgers) was recently in the news for paying Snooki more money than Pullitzer Prize winner Toni Morrison to speak at graduation. Haha so you get no sympathy from me. But let's get back to your questions.

Johnston is pretty exotically Italian... The President of Italy stopped in RI at one point to address the people there because it's so ridiculous. Here's some wikifeed:

"19% of Rhode Island residents are Italian American, the greatest percentage of any state. 199,180 of Rhode Island's population of 1,048,319 claim Italian ancestry.

Bristol (21.2%)
Cranston (34.5% Italian American) <-- this is directly next door to Johnston
Johnston
Providence:
Federal Hill (Little Italy of Providence)
Warwick (22.8%)
Westerly (34.2% Italian American)

Notice they don't give a % for italians in Johnston. This is because it is too appalling to list and would draw too much attention, so they make you actually click on it and dive in. At the very end of the page, they finally reveal:

"In 2000, 46.7% of Johnston residents identified themselves as being of Italian heritage. This was the highest percentage of Italian Americans of any municipality in the country."

So yeah, you're not going to be stealing any of my gusto any time soon. Most of Jersey Shore might be from NY but my entire hometown might as well have been Jersey Shore. You don't understand what I had to go through growing up, trying to learn about life and the world, amongst this environment of gym, tanning, and laundry. If you're irish, you're an "Irish Pig-f*cker." If you're english, you're an "English Pig-F*cker." If you're French... well you get the jist. And god FORBID you aren't white. It's ironic, and poetically just, that the black population from Providence (right next door) is now pushing out into Johnston and overrunning it in common suburban style. It's kind of like Gran Turino now when people stay behind and refuse to give up their territory.

Any thoughts to how someone could get that wrapped up into sports?

People use sports teams as a way to identify and represent themselves. Haven't we talked about this before? ;) Ravens winning = Baltimore winning = people of Baltimore feel a sense of "winning." It doesn't make sense for them to take pride in other people's accomplishment but it happens. This is the best answer I can come up with, because it explains why other aspects of our lives don't have the same phenomenon. People don't get as competitive or riled up over many other things.

Or is sports just a meaningless and innocent medium?

Macchiavelli wrote in "The Prince" that in order to rule without problems questioning your authority that you need to keep the masses entertained - particularly with sports. I'm trying to think if there's a modern substitute but sports still dominate. Even FANTASY sports are a multi-billion dollar industry.

Do sports influence the mind in a way that promotes violence?

IMaybe if you're playing them and there's all that testosterone is flowing and whatnot, but otherwise I think it's one's own individual psychology and frame of mind determines how they react to sports (or prolly anything).

I've seen studies that indicate the locker-room setting destroys one's sense of empathy, but how that extends to fans is not clear. I get pretty combative when I play tennis and I love talking smack and trying to win, but the emotional rollercoaster it takes me on is usually not positive. Playing to win helps me improve and gets me out there in the first place though... It's kind of tricky really. I guess the best thing is to jsut go out and have fun and try not to think about winning, but is that really possible?
kfc