Jump to topic:

Dolphins? - Just Rats With Fins!

racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 10:58:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Think of all the critters that do NOT end up in meditation centers, healing rooms, children's nurseries. Skunks, Queensland Cane Toads, Hyenas, stone fish, barracuda, slugs, scorpions, sharks, and a bunch of other not so charming and attractive beasties. We're swamped with images of butterflies, pandas, bunnies, whales and of course, the stomach churningly cute and very plastic looking DOLPHIN! Fish without porpoise, I say. Like any other vermin of the ocean, dolphins are not as cute and lovely as first meets the eye. They have the moral compass of a bikie gang when it comes to social organization. Yes, male dolphins do trap and gang rape female dolphins. They do surround and murder members of the group for power and fishy political purposes. Just like eartbound critters do. They can be press ganged into the aquarian slave trade and for a fee (fish) will perform like circus animals in those style challenged 'Dolphinariums'. They are no more moral or 'intelligent' than the average high school student or quantity surveyor.

In so many ways they're quite stupid. I have yet to read a great novel written by a dolphin. They have no sense of a great opera, Hollywood musical or an Australian barbecue. Dolphins have practically no idea of the subtleties of American politics or even how to run a good restaurant. When they write literary criticisms in the New York Times, it's amazing how shallow is their grasp of the slander and defamation laws. It may be possible to re educate them, but I can't think of a talented educator who would put in so much effort for so little reward. They really are quite a disappointment when I consider my expectations of them . Ah, well.
Edit/Delete Message
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 1:26:58 AM
In so many ways they're quite stupid. I have yet to read a great novel written by a dolphin.

Haha, oh, you're funny.

But really, dolphins are the second most highly evolved life-form on Earth, behind humans. There is a strong case to be made that they should have the legal status of "non-human persons".
You mentioned cruelty of dolphins. They can indeed be cruel. They have also been seen to perform astounding acts of cross-species kindness. It is generally seen that, the more intelligent a species is, the more capable they are of both cruelty and empathy, the most obvious case being humans; more moral diversity in higher intelligence. Dolphins have often been seen saving humans from shark attacks. In ancient Greece someone would actually earn the death penalty for killing a dolphin because they were seen as life-guards of the sea.
Dolphins are self-aware and display a remarkable field of emotions and actions of higher-intelligence. They are definitely not stupid, nor are they inherently immoral.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 1:51:45 AM
At 4/8/2011 1:26:58 AM, FREEDO wrote:
In so many ways they're quite stupid. I have yet to read a great novel written by a dolphin.

Haha, oh, you're funny.

But really, dolphins are the second most highly evolved life-form on Earth, behind humans. There is a strong case to be made that they should have the legal status of "non-human persons".

I don't want to seem petty, but this is one thing that people say all the time that really drives me nuts. Evolution is not a linear progression. There are no "highly evolved" or "less evolved" organisms. Monkeys, birds, reptiles, amphibians, etc. are not our evolutionary ancestors, they're our cousins.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 1:57:50 AM
At 4/8/2011 1:51:45 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Monkeys, birds, reptiles, amphibians, etc. are not our evolutionary ancestors, they're our cousins.

you're just trying to get around saying you come from monkeys!

you really ought to just throw out the whole Theory!!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 2:13:39 AM

Haha, oh, you're funny.

I don't want to seem petty, but this is one thing that people say all the time that really drives me nuts. Evolution is not a linear progression. There are no "highly evolved" or "less evolved" organisms. Monkeys, birds, reptiles, amphibians, etc. are not our evolutionary ancestors, they're our cousins.

I don't see why my statement is opposed to that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 2:15:12 AM
It's an abstract, obviously; there's no way to put an exact measurement on it. But a dolphin can be observed to be more evolutionarily advanced than a chimpanzee.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 2:15:32 AM
At 4/8/2011 2:13:39 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Haha, oh, you're funny.

I don't see why my statement is opposed to that.

I highlighted it. You specifically referred to dolphins as the second most highly evolved organisms on earth.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 2:52:14 AM
. Monkeys, birds, reptiles, amphibians, etc. are not our evolutionary ancestors, they're our cousins.
Our retarded cousins. ^_^.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 3:20:59 AM

Haha, oh, you're funny.

You mentioned cruelty of dolphins. They can indeed be cruel. They have also been seen to perform astounding acts of cross-species kindness. It is generally seen that, the more intelligent a species is, the more capable they are of both cruelty and empathy, the most obvious case being humans; more moral diversity in higher intelligence. Dolphins have often been seen saving humans from shark attacks. In ancient Greece someone would actually earn the death penalty for killing a dolphin because they were seen as life-guards of the sea. : Dolphins are self-aware and display a remarkable field of emotions and actions of higher-intelligence. They are definitely not stupid, nor are they inherently immoral.

Then let me ask you a very simple question - we get some genius in "Advanced Dolphin Studies" to communicate and show accurately to 'Dolphinworld' a stting session of the House Subcommittee Appropriations Bill in Congress - an early episode of "Two & A Half Men" - and a picture of George Bush. I suggest you'd be jailed for mass cruelty to animals because the dolphins would have perished from laughing their insides out. Cheers!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 3:26:28 AM
You are rapidly becoming my favorite troll. Going back and forth between some unique and thought-provoking insight to simply useless and senseless babble.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2011 3:33:11 AM
At 4/8/2011 3:26:28 AM, FREEDO wrote:
You are rapidly becoming my favorite troll. Going back and forth between some unique and thought-provoking insight to simply useless and senseless babble.

Thanx for that - you're also describing some of my favorite corrupt political cronies , colorful racing identities (crooks) and plumbing/draining apprentices. Cheers!