Nature survey scale

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 11:50:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
OK so I am curious:
Where would you rate yourself on this scale?
(you can choose in between that's fine)

1: Slave to Nature: You make no impact at all on the environment, not even to build a house.

2: One with Nature: You fashion the bare necessities and that is it. You generally do not interfere with the Environment except what comes naturally.

3: Steward of Nature: You try to interpret the will of Nature and actively change the Environment to save different species from going extinct.

4: Master of Nature: You actively change your environment according to your will. If there is a choice between you and an animal, you win.

lets see it!
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:14:48 AM
what about... like... "forward looking master of nature"- its not just about modifying nature for maximal returns in the short run, but also realizing that to truly maximize the benefit you get from nature you have to sacrifice some short term returns ie make your use of nature "sustainable".

i honestly don't understand the view that nature is something that intrinsically needs to be preserved. whats the point?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:30:35 AM
Nature exists for me,
such is the word of God,

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Genesis 1:26

Anthropocentralism ftw!
'sup DDO -- july 2013
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:31:29 AM
At 4/12/2011 11:50:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
OK so I am curious:

1: Slave to Nature: You make no impact at all on the environment, not even to build a house.

2: One with Nature: You fashion the bare necessities and that is it. You generally do not interfere with the Environment except what comes naturally.

3: Steward of Nature: You try to interpret the will of Nature and actively change the Environment to save different species from going extinct.

4: Master of Nature: You actively change your environment according to your will. If there is a choice between you and an animal, you win.

lets see it!

I am 1, 2, and 4... and, well.. I'm embarassed about it... but sometimes just a touch of 3 too.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:37:43 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:31:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
OK so I am curious:

lets see it!

I am 1, 2, and 4... and, well.. I'm embarassed about it... but sometimes just a touch of 3 too.

hint: they all preclude one another. lol
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:54:40 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:14:48 AM, belle wrote:
what about... like... "forward looking master of nature"- its not just about modifying nature for maximal returns in the short run, but also realizing that to truly maximize the benefit you get from nature you have to sacrifice some short term returns ie make your use of nature "sustainable".

i honestly don't understand the view that nature is something that intrinsically needs to be preserved. whats the point?

I guess you are a 3.5? In between 3 and 4?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 11:30:35 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:30:35 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

And God said, Lo! Now the French can maketh them all into soup.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:35:51 PM
At 4/13/2011 11:30:35 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 4/13/2011 12:30:35 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

And God said, Lo! Now the French can maketh them all into soup.

And Cloister Spake, "Lo, I shall lead you to Fyushal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things...Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall have hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 3:59:07 PM
i figure that i'm nature and everything i do is nature, including building houses, littering, taking drugs, and well.. everything i do..

so where would i fall in?
signature
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 5:15:03 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:59:07 PM, badger wrote:
i figure that i'm nature and everything i do is nature, including building houses, littering, taking drugs, and well.. everything i do..

You're a 4.5 Badger. lol
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 12:20:19 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:37:43 AM, belle wrote:
At 4/13/2011 12:31:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

hint: they all preclude one another. lol

I completely disagree.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 12:26:21 AM
OK so I am curious:

0 impact

some small impact

larger impact, while still trying to consciously uphold what you see as the aims of nature

larger impact while not giving a sh*t about the aims of nature.

the only way those could be compatible is if you took different attitudes at different times, and even that i would probably just push to the highest limit since technically that defines how far you will go. like... i am not a vegetarian even though i only rarely eat meat.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:22:23 PM
OK so I am curious:

I am part of the environment.. and make no impact upon it, but from being what I am... The environment does what it does, Myself included.

I do not interfere with nature.. I do what comes naturally.

I only Partially qualify for this one b/c I don't interpret the "Will of Nature".. though I might plausibly try to save different species.

Yeah, I do what I want.

lets see it!

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:25:53 PM
At 4/15/2011 2:22:23 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

The house, it's construction.. Etc, Etc, are all Natural.. and occur due to the nature of things.

If/When I build a house... I certainly won't, in any way, be changing/corrupting/harming nature, Rather it's all Due to nature and Necessarily accords with it.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:30:12 PM
At 4/13/2011 3:59:07 PM, badger wrote:

probably a 1, 2, and 4..

I doubt you're much of a 3

Metaphysics:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:35:56 PM
At 4/15/2011 2:25:53 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

If/When I build a house... I certainly won't, in any way, be changing/corrupting/harming nature, Rather it's all Due to nature and Necessarily accords with it.

New construction of a house:
1) changes your environment
2) impacts the homes of other animals and plants
3) produces waste materials that must be disposed of
4) can impact the food or water supply of other animals depending on where you build it (if you build it at a watering hole, animals may not be willing to use it anymore)

there's probably more reasons, but you get the idea.
you do not live in a vacuum, your actions to change the environment have effects on the balance of Nature.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:45:49 PM
At 4/15/2011 2:35:56 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

2) impacts the homes of other animals and plants
3) produces waste materials that must be disposed of
4) can impact the food or water supply of other animals depending on where you build it (if you build it at a watering hole, animals may not be willing to use it anymore)

there's probably more reasons, but you get the idea.
you do not live in a vacuum, your actions to change the environment have effects on the balance of Nature.

my actions are all completely in accord with nature as are the effects.. No matter what effects we're talking about ;)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:49:47 PM
At 4/15/2011 2:35:56 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

it's a change that's completely in accord with the nature of the environment..

The change is due to the environment/nature of things at hand.. of which I'm included.

Metaphysics:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 6:40:51 PM
You say you do not interfere with nature, then you say you do what you want to do and have no regard for other life around you.

Contradiction?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 6:43:45 PM
since you cant understand at all what your impact is on the environment let me break it down for you.

1. Is a caveman.
2. Is a North American plains Indian.
3. Are wildlife conservation groups.
4. Are most of us.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 12:51:37 AM
At 4/15/2011 6:40:51 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
you say you do what you have no regard for other life around you.

I never said that..

I said if it's Me vs. an animal..
like My cares or an animal's well being..

then I go with what I care for.

this is in no way Not in accord with nature.

Metaphysics:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 1:46:14 PM
At 4/16/2011 12:51:37 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I never said that..

The animal loses.

You're a 4, accept it.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 11:58:39 PM
At 4/16/2011 1:46:14 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/16/2011 12:51:37 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I never said that..

The animal loses.

You're a 4, accept it.

I said I was a 4 from the beginning.

I'm also a 1, and a 2.

Metaphysics: