Jump to topic:

Anonymous

burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:18:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know if this should go here or under technology, but I think it's appropriate here.

For anyone who doesn't know, Anonymous is a decentralized group of technologically savvy people. http://en.wikipedia.org...(group)

They frequently use technology to protest, often shutting down sites and raising protests, etc.

I personally think they're awesome, but what do you guys think?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:38:19 AM
Anonymous is exactly what the word implies.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 2:58:25 AM
At 4/15/2011 2:54:29 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I heard they are legion.

How large is a legion? I heard it's over 9,000.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2011 3:05:11 AM
At 4/15/2011 2:58:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I heard they are legion.

o rly?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 4:25:45 AM
I heard they are legion.

You win.
I love anonymous. Hacking the West Boro Baptist church website while one of their members and someone claiming to represent anonymous were being interviewed was gold.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 10:08:45 AM
At 4/16/2011 4:25:45 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I heard they are legion.

You win.
I love anonymous. Hacking the West Boro Baptist church website while one of their members and someone claiming to represent anonymous were being interviewed was gold.

would you think that if they wanted to the could cause real destruction.. like by hacking banking systems and deleting all their information or something like that? fight club style :)
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2011 10:13:15 AM
At 4/16/2011 10:08:45 AM, badger wrote:
At 4/16/2011 4:25:45 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I heard they are legion.

You win.

would you think that if they wanted to the could cause real destruction.. like by hacking banking systems and deleting all their information or something like that? fight club style :)

we should all brainstorm on ways we might delete everybody's credit history! it'd be fun right? and for the best!
signature
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 10:03:11 PM
Anonymous is just that.... anonymous. Most of them are just day to day people able to be themselves online without being known or ridiculed by others no matter the circumstances.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 4:13:48 PM
At 4/15/2011 2:18:26 AM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
I don't know if this should go here or under technology, but I think it's appropriate here.

For anyone who doesn't know, Anonymous is a decentralized group of technologically savvy people. http://en.wikipedia.org...(group)

They frequently use technology to protest, often shutting down sites and raising protests, etc.

I personally think they're awesome, but what do you guys think?:

Anonymous is a decentralized group (nearly defunct now) that were specifically against the Church of Scientology. Their stated goals were to shed light on the crimes of the Church and bring awareness to the masses. They had protest all over the world with a lot of success. I think they reached peak popularity in '06 or '07 with thousands upon thousands of protesters, but they've been fading in to obscurity since then.

Where are you getting this anti-science thing from?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:10:42 AM
At 4/20/2011 4:13:48 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 4/15/2011 2:18:26 AM, burningpuppies101 wrote:

I personally think they're awesome, but what do you guys think?:

Anonymous is a decentralized group (nearly defunct now) that were specifically against the Church of Scientology. Their stated goals were to shed light on the crimes of the Church and bring awareness to the masses. They had protest all over the world with a lot of success. I think they reached peak popularity in '06 or '07 with thousands upon thousands of protesters, but they've been fading in to obscurity since then.

Where are you getting this anti-science thing from?

Anonymous is not about being anti-scientology. That just happens to be one of the first big things they did. Anonymous has also done a lot to help wikileaks, catch animal abusers and just good ole' trolling.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 1:50:09 AM
Anonymous is cowardice. A true rebel is not afraid of the consequences. That's why the people who signed the Declaration of Independence signed their real names. And they were facing prosecution for treason and certain execution.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 2:05:30 AM
At 4/24/2011 1:50:09 AM, MarquisX wrote:
Anonymous is cowardice. A true rebel is not afraid of the consequences. That's why the people who signed the Declaration of Independence signed their real names.
And then they didn't sign their names on the Federalist Papers.

Anonymity vs transparency is a tactical consideration, not a moral one.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 2:13:40 AM
At 4/24/2011 2:05:30 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 4/24/2011 1:50:09 AM, MarquisX wrote:
Anonymous is cowardice. A true rebel is not afraid of the consequences. That's why the people who signed the Declaration of Independence signed their real names.
And then they didn't sign their names on the Federalist Papers.

Anonymity vs transparency is a tactical consideration, not a moral one.

Good point. Weird though, since the Declaration was signed ten years prior.
I still see anonymity as cowardice dressed up to seem cool. If I'm going to take you down I want you to know who I am.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 8:09:06 PM
Anonymous is not about being anti-scientology. That just happens to be one of the first big things they did. Anonymous has also done a lot to help wikileaks, catch animal abusers and just good ole' trolling.:

Well, that's the problem. Anyone can refer to themselves as Anonymous and take credit for things as "Anonymous." Since there is no central leadership, Anonymous is now 13 year old kids saying they're a part of it.

I doesn't mean anything any more, but it got its start as an underground network out to protest Scientology.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:48:02 PM
Their A$$Holes
They F**cked up The PSN

"Congratulations, Sony. You now have now received the undivided attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal action against our follow hackers, Geohot and Graf_Chokolo, has not only alarmed us, it has been deemed wholly unforgivable."