Is attraction in the genes?

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:23:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Or is it how one is raised?

My father is white and my mother is black. I really don't care what race my wife will be, but I find that I am more physically attracted to white girls rather than black girls. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of hot black chicks, but you know what I mean. My grandpa divorced my dad's white mother and married a black woman. Then my father married a black woman. However I am mostly attracted to white women. What do you think?
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:29:36 PM
At 4/19/2011 12:23:58 PM, Koopin wrote:

My father is white and my mother is black. I really don't care what race my wife will be, but I find that I am more physically attracted to white girls rather than black girls. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of hot black chicks, but you know what I mean. My grandpa divorced my dad's white mother and married a black woman. Then my father married a black woman. However I am mostly attracted to white women. What do you think?

It is in the chemical balance of your brain. This chemical balance is intitially setup by genes, but environmental factors can alter it over time.

Just like your hair color is in your genes, but you can get it sun bleach, stress it gray, and various other things that effect how it will change over your life.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:29:48 PM

I'd say that how one is raised is a factor but not a deciding factor.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:35:44 PM
At 4/19/2011 12:29:48 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I'd say that how one is raised is a factor but not a deciding factor.

I think it can be a huge factor. Take biracial racists for example. I know a lot of people who have a different color grandpa or grandma. These people are racists against, lets say whites. Does that mean they are not attracted to them?
kfc
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 12:40:49 PM
Leon Festinger says a lot about attraction. When I get to a computer I'll expound. But there are a bunch of other factors involved in attraction.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 3:09:03 PM
At 4/19/2011 2:05:05 PM, Grape wrote:
I would assert without any evidence that genes play a small role compared to social conditioning.

well they probably make whoever you think is sexy look like they do :P ..but me too!
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2011 10:56:52 PM
Wow, I fail and forgot I was supposed to come back to this... and now I'm too lazy to summarize but http://en.wikipedia.org... and http://en.wikipedia.org....

I mean, there is a science to what we consider physically attractive, but I've never heard about who we are attracted to being coded in our genes. It could be, I guess... The only thing I can think of is that we are sometimes attracted to people like our parents, but I don't know if race would play a huge role in that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:00:03 AM
At 4/19/2011 12:26:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
Oh yeah, and INB4 brian says

"Attraction is in the jeans."

lol this is true
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:11:33 AM
there are certain parameters... i'm sure everyone's heard of the waist to hip ratio and that more highly symmetrical faces are generally preferred to less symmetrical faces. but beyond some basic traits like that, trappings like race, clothing style, etc are most likely socially conditioned. the most obvious example is weight. it used to be considered super attractive to be fat.. now being fat is gross and being thin is attractive.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2011 12:17:08 AM
I'm reading this at the moment: http://en.wikipedia.org...

I'll get back to you when I know. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 12:46:19 AM

I've seen studies where black toddlers are shown dark and light skinned dolls and tend to pick the light-skinned doll when asked which one is more beautiful (or something along the lines of 'attractive'). Culture would seem to play a large part in your decision. Our culture has a certain fascination with the black man and white woman. Marginally educated black men seem to take a sense of pride at obtaining a white woman, and marginally intelligent white men seem to take a sense of jealousy at seeing a black man with a white woman. No one really gives a sh*t about any other ethnic combination that I can think of... But there's something about that whitegirl/blackguy combo that makes people stare for an extra second in public.

I would say that if you were to court a decently attractive white girl that there would be times when white guys would see you with her and think to themselves that you shouldn't have the right. But that's just part of being black in the USA today so I probably don't have to remind you of that.
kfc
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 4:21:50 AM
I would assume that racial sexual preferences are almost entirely environmental rather than genetic. Can't find a link but I remember reading about a study of Hawaiian mixed race people who were statistically more likely to end up marrying a partner of their opposite sex parent's ethnicity (contrary to Koopin's expressed preference).

I think racial stereotypes play a big part too. White women are generally more idealised in the western media and perceptions of female beauty are often biased in favour of lighter complexions and more European type features, although there are obvious exceptions. East Asian women are seen as submissive which is attractive to a lot of men, black men are seen as dangerous which is attractive to a lot of women etc.

I think one might see more minority guys with white women than the other way round partly just because parents are generally more protective of girls but if white people are a significant majority there are just more white women to go around.

At 4/21/2011 12:46:19 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

No one really gives a sh*t about any other ethnic combination that I can think of... But there's something about that whitegirl/blackguy combo that makes people stare for an extra second in public.

It definitely works both ways, try walking into a club full of black guys with a hot black girl on your arm, a lot of them probably won't like it. Again though, if white people are the majority, your far more likely to hear them complaining about "race-mixing".
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 8:57:36 AM
At 4/20/2011 12:17:08 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm reading this at the moment: http://en.wikipedia.org...

I'll get back to you when I know. :P

haha that was a good one. i love that guy.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 9:11:16 AM
At 4/19/2011 2:05:05 PM, Grape wrote:
I would assert without any evidence that genes play a small role compared to social conditioning.

It may not be genes specifically but hormones definitely play a large if not the biggest factor.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 9:12:16 AM
At 4/20/2011 12:00:03 AM, m93samman wrote:
"Attraction is in the jeans."

lol this is true

Or in your case, the burqa.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 10:20:37 AM

My father is white and my mother is black. I really don't care what race my wife will be, but I find that I am more physically attracted to white girls rather than black girls. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of hot black chicks, but you know what I mean. My grandpa divorced my dad's white mother and married a black woman. Then my father married a black woman. However I am mostly attracted to white women. What do you think?:

I'm attracted to good looking women. I know, weird...

What I mean is that I find women of all races attractive so long as they are, er, attractive. I don't really have a racial preference with women. BUT it's not an uncommon thing for people to have preferences. I know white girls who exclusively date only black men or white girls who exclusively date white men.

As to why this is, it's probably something like 50/50 nature/nurture. I'm sure studies have been conducted somewhere and posted on the web.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 1:27:11 PM
At 4/21/2011 5:00:38 AM, Puck wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

are you trying to imply that koopin is frightened around white people and mistakes that for sexual attraction?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 3:39:36 PM
At 4/21/2011 1:27:11 PM, belle wrote:
At 4/21/2011 5:00:38 AM, Puck wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

are you trying to imply that koopin is frightened around white people and mistakes that for sexual attraction?

No wonder I am sexually attracted to wild bears!
kfc
lucyalice1989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 1:37:27 AM
Maybe it is, hmm interesting they should do studies on that. Why do we usually have a preference between blonde and brunette? I myself am white, I am not racist but have no attraction to anyone other than white.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 3:53:39 AM
At 5/13/2011 1:37:27 AM, lucyalice1989 wrote:
Maybe it is, hmm interesting they should do studies on that. Why do we usually have a preference between blonde and brunette? I myself am white, I am not racist but have no attraction to anyone other than white.

There have been studies that show that women have higher rates of preference for their own race than men. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 9:24:23 AM
At 5/13/2011 3:53:39 AM, feverish wrote:

There have been studies that show that women have higher rates of preference for their own race than men. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...

I'm on my phone so I don't want to read the study in such tiny font... but I think one of the biggest reasons for that is sociocultural. Historically, men like to spread their seed around. Especially during times of war, men would have sex with the native women. But although men have no problem "conquering" other women, they have a problem with "their" women being conquered. And women tend to get their social identity from men, and internalize the expectations of men.

For example, everyone knows black guys love white women (and Asian women and Hispanic women). Since the beginning of time, black men have been sleeping with white women lol so why do they have a problem when I date non-black guys? It's completely territorial, and you'd be surprised how many black women I've talked to that have never even considered dating a non-black guy, and yet they're always having relationship issues.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 3:58:43 AM
At 5/13/2011 9:24:23 AM, nonentity wrote:

I'm on my phone so I don't want to read the study in such tiny font... but I think one of the biggest reasons for that is sociocultural. Historically, men like to spread their seed around. Especially during times of war, men would have sex with the native women. But although men have no problem "conquering" other women, they have a problem with "their" women being conquered. And women tend to get their social identity from men, and internalize the expectations of men.

Agree 100%

Bit off topic, but was watching a docu on the last days of the Raj and the partition of India the other night and there were people killing their own wives and daughters rather than take the chance of them getting raped in the sectarian violence.

For example, everyone knows black guys love white women (and Asian women and Hispanic women). Since the beginning of time, black men have been sleeping with white women lol so why do they have a problem when I date non-black guys? It's completely territorial, and you'd be surprised how many black women I've talked to that have never even considered dating a non-black guy, and yet they're always having relationship issues.

I can believe it. Also, I've noticed that when women do make a preference for a certain type, they often tend to stick with it, I know white girls who pretty much only like black guys and a lot of the non white women I've been with, including both the mother of my child and my current girlfriend have had mostly white boyfriends and sexual partners.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:18:34 AM
Its a societal thing, men used to wear heels, wigs, makeup, and skirts and to them that was attractive so I say societal.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:47:44 AM
At 5/14/2011 3:58:43 AM, feverish wrote:

Bit off topic, but was watching a docu on the last days of the Raj and the partition of India the other night and there were people killing their own wives and daughters rather than take the chance of them getting raped in the sectarian violence.

o_O

I'm not surprised. I live in a city with a lot of Indians and you hear stories like that more often than you should.

I can believe it. Also, I've noticed that when women do make a preference for a certain type, they often tend to stick with it, I know white girls who pretty much only like black guys and a lot of the non white women I've been with, including both the mother of my child and my current girlfriend have had mostly white boyfriends and sexual partners.

Oh well... I don't discriminate so more for me ^_^
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:21:10 PM

I am not attracted to black and black/white biracial women at all
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:36:05 PM
At 8/28/2011 7:21:10 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:

I am not attracted to black and black/white biracial women at all

Same here. Unfortunetly in today's modern world with a lot of interracial marriages, it is hard to keep track of who is white and who isn't. In fact, I have a strict policy towards who I date.

The usual format is this.

1. They have to be white. Or they have to appear white.

2. They can't bear any resemblence to black facial structure. Even if they are white. Because then that of course would mean they aren't purely white. (Usually you can notice it with the fickness of the nose)

3. They have to have blue eyes.

4. They can't be a liberal and/or a Democrat.

5. To further nail it down, she can't have any views such as pro-affirmative action, or pro forced integration and so on.

6. With all of the above in consideration, they usually just have to have a good character and personality around them.